Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbobo811
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra loud electrical/buzzing sound when waking from standby

Purchased a new Roku Ultra (4800R) recently and am experiencing a loud electrical/buzzing type sound when waking it up from sleep mode in the morning.  This happens every few days and requires a restart to make the sound go away.  Previously had a Roku streaming stick on this TV with no such issues.  Anyone else having this issue and figure out how to resolve it? 

50 REPLIES 50
Jfcespedes
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra loud electrical/buzzing sound when waking from standby

I am having the same issue. Any fix besides unplugging the power and reconnecting?

Ranchr
Channel Surfer

Yes I am having the exact same issue. Glad to know I’m not alone. Mine is the most recent Ultra. I have two of the previous version with no issues. I have to pull the power cord and completely reboot the device. I plan to contact ROKU for an exchange or return. I have others that work fine.

jbobo811
Reel Rookie

@Ranchr wrote:

Yes I am having the exact same issue. Glad to know I’m not alone. Mine is the most recent Ultra. I have two of the previous version with no issues. I have to pull the power cord and completely reboot the device. I plan to contact ROKU for an exchange or return. I have others that work fine.

Same here.  Curious to see what ROKU says about the issue.  Please keep us posted.  

Nsheep24

Having same issue. Started hitting Roku home button before turning off tv or walking away. Been a few days since Ive last seen the issue. Might be a viable work around until Roku gets around to fixing this. 

BobBluffton
Reel Rookie

1-24-21 Ultra (SKU#4800R) Connected to new low end LG Smart TV (24LM520S-W) Rapid clicking sound when turned on. Does not do it all the time, something like 20% of the time. When I pull the ROKU HDMI cable out it stops.  Need to pull plug on both TV and ROKU to have it start up without the issue. Connected ROKU to slightly more advanced but older Panasonic and also my SONY Bravia XBR an it did not happen. I did not do a long term experiment on the Panasonic and the SONY, so can't be sure it would never happen. I have a ROKU Streaming Stick + on my SONY with no issues. (Did not connect the ULTRA permanently to the SONY because I can't install the Spectrum App on the Ultra until Spectrum and ROKU resolve their dispute) Best buy said it may be the TV was too low end for the ROKU. Suggested I return the TV. Since ROKU has not provided any guidance, I'm returning both. I'll be trying the new Chromecast with Google TV. I might be able to install the Spectrum as a bonus I'll see.

ShaunL

Same problem for me. The TV is a 2008 LG brand and wonder if that it may be non-compatible with this device. What I plan on trying is to remove the sound control from the Roku remote and using the TV remote to control volume and power on and off. Wondering if that could be the problem with older televisions. I will update my progress. 

BobBluffton
Reel Rookie

3-3-21   Follow up to my post of 1-24-21, regarding buzzing noise...

I eliminated (so far) the occurrence of the buzzing noise on start up, by doing the following:

Before I turn off the TV, I make sure I click the ROKU Home button (top right).

In other words, I never turn off the TV while it is tuned to any station. 

Although I don't know why it works, it has so far. 

Try this work around for yourself.

Bob Bluffton

0 Kudos
FC3
Reel Rookie

We tried the "before you turn off the TV, I make sure to click the ROKU Home button" remedy and it worked for about a month and we thought the problem was resolved but now the issue has returned. Only way to we found to get rid of the loud buzz now is to do a hard reset by unplugging the power connector for 10 seconds or so. When we first installed this Ultra in January we talked with several Roku techs and they were unable to resolve this issue and we stumbled on the Home button trick here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue. Has anyone contacted Roku support?  I am using a mid-level Samsung TV from 2015.