Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tbaudoin
Level 7

Roku Ultra flashing during streaming and switching to input

Roku Ultra (model 4660x) serial number: YJ002E183987, build 8.0.0 build 3138-46, device ID: CK3792183987

Sony XBR75X940E, Anthem MRX720, Sony UBPX1000. X1000 works flawlessly as do sources other than the Roku. All sources hard-wired to the internet @ 300mb/s.

I have two situations.
1. If the screen is stable after a reboot, it usually flashes a couple of times during Netflix/Amazon playback of any resolution then plays on fine.

2. After a couple of days it will loose this and start flashing from the moment I switch inputs. I’ve tried rebooting inside the menus and that didn’t work, I’ve looked at my advanced settings and it’s set to 4.2.0 subsampling, so I’m baffled.

I’ve tried other suggestions, rebooting the tv, receiver, etc. nothing works but a hard reboot at this point.

Until this gets sorted out, I’ve got it now set to 1080p. Will test this way for a couple of days.

What does the auto-adjust display refresh rate under advanced display setting do? Wondering if this will sent things native and let the display scale the video?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Tbaudoin
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra flashing during streaming and habitually switching inputs

I just noticed a software update: Software Version: 8.0.1, Build 4018-46.

So, I (rebooted), unplugged the Roku.  It came up.  I switched it to 4k60, it passed the test.  I went to Netflix and the screen started to flicker.  I exited Netflix, and the flickering remains. It seems that the flickering in immediate now.  Something definitely changed.  

I again dropped the resolution down to 1080p, it played fine.  Please tell me what I can provide to help solve this problem.  Please keep trying to fix it!
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra flashing during streaming and switching to input

Last night, as a Hail Mary, the screen was flickering like heck (home screen and inside apps @4K 4:2:0), so I decided to toggle the 4:2:0 (current software default) to 4:2:2. The flashing immediately stopped and so far so good. Will report again if this changes. Not clear on what the change means exactly (do understand subsampling) but not clear why it would work with the change if (and only if I understand this correctly) all content is sent at 4:2:0. I would prefer the Sony do the up conversion, but it seems it does't like the 4:2:0.
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

I have also noticed an apparent transient glitch in the Netflix App. One time I launch App I see 4K content banner, then sometimes I launch App the content is not visible.  The remedy I've found is to log out of Netflix and re-log in and it returns.  Not sure what is causing this, but the App needs some work still -hopefully with time this will work itself out.  In the past I've been able to find 4k without the banner and it played fine, it seems that it's something related to the login.
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

Status update: very ODD.

So, I was out and just came home a few hours later and the Roku was off/locked up, no indicator light of any sort.  It's all on a UPS power supply, so it didn't just not get power.  Any suggestions as to why the player would shut down/lock up?  It is in a rack system, and it is right next to the fan/system and sitting on top of the UDPX1000 Sony (which is usually off, and has been during this whole ordeal).  Is it possible it overheated?  It followed closely a software reboot from earlier that had quite a bit of time trying to sync at 4k 4:2:2.  Once sync'd, aside from loosing power or whatever happened, it seems to stay stable.  Haven't seen an HDCP error in 4:2:2.

I've tried switching back to 4:2:0 and all the screen does is flicker so bad I can't necessarily change it to another resolution such as 1080p, which has been stable.

Please advise!  I am beyond out of ideas.

As a side issue, I had a Roku3 on top of an OPPO that got real hot, but I never experienced a shutdown of any sort with it in the same rack.  This whole things is bazaar to me.
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

Up time since hard reboot (power plug) over 3 hours and not one glitch.  If it is overheating it was doing it while nothing was going on.  So, I'm thinking heat was not the issue since it locked up/was unresponsive/no video while it sat idle with the entire rest of the system OFF.

I had a response from a user on AVSForum that said when it's in screen saver the light is off.  Is this true?  If not, other than no power, when does the light possibly go off?
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

"Tbaudoin" wrote:
I had a response from a user on AVSForum that said when it's in screen saver the light is off.  Is this true?  If not, other than no power, when does the light possibly go off?

Yes, the light goes off when the screen saver is active. Other than that, it will flash as it's booting or if it can't connect to your network (or there's some other problem) and it will flash when you press a button on the remote. Otherwise, it will only go off when the screen saver activates or you remove the power.

-JT
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

Thanks for your help. Getting to know all the ins and outs. Thanks. Hopefully things will sort out eventually.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 9

Sometimes my Roku remote loses connection with the Roku and so if it is in sleep/screensaver mode, then pushing any button won't bring it out of this mode. I pull the batteries then put them back in and it is fine again. I have seen others complain of this as well. Maybe this is what happened and when you rebooted it, the remote connected again. 
Did you actually turn the tv on to the input the Roku was connected to and not see any picture on screen or did you just see that the Roku had no light on which is normal?
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
Tbaudoin
Level 7

Absolutely no picture, now coming to realize the light is normal.  So, I don't use the Roku remote.  I'm going through a control4 system.  It works the same, except it relays from it's brain to the system for controls.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the clarifications and suggestions.. Glad to know feel like I'm the only one with issues...
0 Kudos