Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
glg1984
Level 7

Roku Ultra flashing black screen.

I've gone through 4 Roku Ultra's and all of them have had an issue with the screen going black for a few seconds then coming back. Happens on the home screen, youtube, netflix, amazon video. A few things i've tried:

- I originally had it hooked in to my avr thinking it was the avr causing issues but same thing happens connecting it directly to the TV (Samsung KS9000).
- I've gone through 4 Roku Ultras and 4 different hdmi cables that are certified premium according to hdmi standards here: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx#156[/url:2ihl0yya] - Cable lengths less than ...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
99 Replies
druhnek
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra flashing black screen.

My Roku Ultra does this too.  It started after the last update.  The only thing that I've found to work is when it starts flashing, I go into the settings and restart the device.  This usually fixes the issue until the next time I wake up the Roku.  I purchased this device last December after using an Amazon Fire TV for a few years, and since then it has had numerous issues -- starting with the audio chirping, to the audio becoming too loud, and now the black flashing screen.
0 Kudos
glg1984
Level 7

"druhnek" wrote:
My Roku Ultra does this too.  It started after the last update.  The only thing that I've found to work is when it starts flashing, I go into the settings and restart the device.  This usually fixes the issue until the next time I wake up the Roku.  I purchased this device last December after using an Amazon Fire TV for a few years, and since then it has had numerous issues -- starting with the audio chirping, to the audio becoming too loud, and now the black flashing screen.

Yup same here. A reboot allows for maybe one movie to play before going back to flashing. Not cool for a $100 device.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

The only time I've seen this happen is when HDR content is being played. If that is the case for you, the flash to black is your TV, not the Roku player. The TV is switching to HDR mode, during which they blank the screen. Now if it's happening with non-HDR content, then that's a different matter.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
glg1984
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
The only time I've seen this happen is when HDR content is being played. If that is the case for you, the flash to black is your TV, not the Roku player. The TV is switching to HDR mode, during which they blank the screen. Now if it's happening with non-HDR content, then that's a different matter.

happens with non-hdr content.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

I get the flashing/flickering screen too. Just started happening with the 7.7 firmware.
I temporarily fix mine by switching receiver inputs back and forth until my Roku Ultra settles down. After that it is good until I turn the equipment off or switch to another input to watch Directv, 4K blu ray player or whatever.
It also seems 4:2:2 mode is a little more stable than 4:2:0 is for whatever reason. Before the 7.7 firmware I could have it on 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 and it was fine either way.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
druhnek
Level 7

Mine also happens when watching non-hdr content.  I usually only watch Vudu, Amazon, and Netflix, and it happens regardless of which app I'm using.  Also, I have very little content in UHD on Vudu (and usually just watch movies/tv shows in HDX), none on Amazon or Netflix, and I believe my device is set to 4.2.2 because I've never changed that setting.  I have my Roku Ultra connected directly to my Samsung KS8000 TV via a new HDMI cable, and I send the audio to my Onkyo receiver through an optical cable.  This didn't happen until I received the 7.7 update.
0 Kudos
petejj80
Level 7

I'm having the same problems with the Ultra on any channels.  I hooked my Roku 4 up instead and have no problems at all. Emailed Roku customer service/technical support and after a few back and forth's about the problem and their suggestions for what I should try like switching HDMI cables, different TV's,  they sent an RMA number and I sent it back and received a new Ultra.  It has exactly the same problems.  More emails to technical support and even though they have a "case file" they started another case file and I had to go through the the same thing, explaining the problems over again. I asked to send this Ultra back, they pay shipping this time, and send me a refund.  (I bought this from the Roku store during the $80.00 deal for previous Roku owners.)  They emailed back asking me to describe the problem AGAIN, and that I should try different HDMI cables, different TV's, ect. AGAIN.   They ignored my refund request.
I assume Roku technical support s based in India because my first tech support person is named Riswan the second Raji and they type in broken English.  I think it's also safe to assume they are not "tech' people, but simply read a prepared list of problems and suggested solutions provided by Roku.  (And, no, I have nothing against folks from India, They're just doing their job.)
So, after 10 emails back and forth from July 8th to August 24th and a return/replace, I still have an Ultra that's pretty much worthless.
Sorry about the rant, but it feels good to vent.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

Yep happening with HDR, no HDR, 4k, non 4k, screensaver etc. All channels affected. 

I started this threadalmost 2 months ago describing the problem but have yet to hear anything about it being resolved or if they are even working on a resolution. 
The thread seemed to go towards fixing other problems though so I guess they don't consider this problem worthy of attention.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
glg1984
Level 7

"rockou" wrote:
Yep happening with HDR, no HDR, 4k, non 4k, screensaver etc. All channels affected. 

I started this threadalmost 2 months ago describing the problem but have yet to hear anything about it being resolved or if they are even working on a resolution. 
The thread seemed to go towards fixing other problems though so I guess they don't consider this problem worthy of attention.

Wow, guess it shows what kind of a company roku is. I'll be switching to something else,
0 Kudos