Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Ultra crashes and needs to be rebooted often also Hulu adverts crash (Black Screen)

I have several Roku devices, the Ultra is in my Family Room on the large Sony TV, Sometimes we have to unplug it from the power adapter to get it to work, sometimes it will just stop responding. It is almost like it is overheating?

The other issue is my wife watches Hulu on this Ultimate, but when the adverts play sometimes they are OK and other times the screen goes black and the countdown timer still counts down to 3 seconds then it hangs, the only way to get back to the program is to exit and restart the Hulu app. Now I first thought it was a Hulu issue, however my wife started to watch Hulu in our Master Bedroom and the Adverts work fine 100% of the time on a cheaper Roku Express?

What could the issue be and are they related?

5 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Ultra crashes and needs to be rebooted often also Hulu adverts crash (Black Screen)

@AndyMcJ 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

For more information on how to remove a channel, visit our Support page here: How do I remove channels from my Roku streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra crashes and needs to be rebooted often also Hulu adverts crash (Black Screen)

Hi Danny

I tried your resolution but unfortunately it still happens, not as often as before but still once or twice in an evening. I have not encountered this on any other app other than Hulu? The bit I can't figure out is why are the cheaper express devices working fine that must have the same version of the Hulu app installed?

Is there a firmware update for the Ultra that can fix this issue?

Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@AndyMcJ 

Thanks for the update.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Hulu directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Hulu channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

You can reach them here: https://help.hulu.com/s/?language=en_US

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

IMHO HULU kind of sucks: 

-One pays for the no commercial options yet one still gets commercials.  There are other glitches but that is the most annoying. 

-Also, as most of these types of streaming stations are, you not only pay for the service but they want to rent you more titles that are not payed for with your $50 - $60 per month.  Prime also does this as most, if not all of them do.

-The other thing about HULU is that its nearly impossible to contact for support.  Trying to get hold of some help is nearly non-existent.  As I said before, HULU kind of sucks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I had the crashing problem the first month I had the Ultra Roku streaming device.  It crashed all the time.  This last month it crashed only once.  I just bought another one for my office.  It has not crashed at all.  I believe it has to do with the service provider, the station one is watching.

0 Kudos