Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdahm
Level 7

Roku Ultra - chronic channel issues

I was using a Roku premier on a couple different TVs and had a positive experience. I got a roku ultra and have had nothing but issues. Multiple channels are encountering issues (see details below).  The issues persist with wireless, and a direct wired connect. They persist on different HDMI ports on the TV and with different cables. Network tests from a laptop plugged into the same ethernet cable yield no issues with latency / packet loss.The issues persist after full cable router power off, roku unplug, tv power unplug, cable power on, tv power on, roku power on.

I plugged my Roku Premiere into the same TV (wireless only) and it seems to work fine (4620X 8.1.0 build 4159-29). 

Should I seek a replacement for the ultra?

Thanks in advance.

Details below:

Critical:
Channels
PrimeVideo 10.4 2018101018: Crashes on load to roku home screen, Crashes going to next episode back to roku home screen, Reports Insufficient Bandwidth
SCIgo 1.13 build 3: Crashes on load to roku home screen, Very rarely can get channel to load. When select a show, crashes to home screen
NickJr 2.2 101818.0048: Crashes trying to select show back to roku home screen
Amazon Music 20 build39: Partial album cover downloads, Pauses in playback, Lyrics get behind, Channel crash to roku home screen

Is it reproducible (how many times out of 5 does this happen)?
19 out of 20 times

What is the serial number of the box? (Found on the bottom of the unit labeled ‘SERIAL NO’ and in Settings -> About, ‘Serial number’.)
CK3854644374, YJ004Y644374

What software version is the box running? Roku ultra 4660x 8.1.0 build 4145-46

Nice to have:
Is the box connected to the internet via wireless or a wired connection? (Wifi or Ethernet.)
Same issues with Wifi or direct wired connection

What type of internet service does the user have? (DSL, Cable, T1, Fiber, Satellite, etc
Frontier FIOS

SourceForge Network test from laptop on same wired connection reports:
Ping Max 96ms, Ping min, 27ms, Jitter Max 67ms (200 packets)

Download quality
Speed Max 83 Mbps, Min 61 Mbps, 93.9% consistency (220 samples)

Bufferbloat Max 172 ms, Bufferbloat min 46 ms (220 samples)

How is the box connected to the TV (HDMI, Composite, Component)?
HDMI, presents with different cables on different ports

What resolution is being used?
assume 1080p, not sure how to check this

Other Information:
Television Make/Model: 
Samsung UN60F800BF, occurs on HDMI Input3 & HDMI Input4 with different cables

Receiver Make/Model: 
N/A

Other components make/model that's in the mix: 
ActionTEC MI424-WR (Frontier Router COAX to HON, Fiber out at HON demarcation)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
mdahm
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - chronic channel issues

Any suggestions from all you experts out there?
I've seen some recent posts from others about Amazon Prime on ultra, not sure about other channels.
0 Kudos

The post is tough to read with all of that HTML formatting in it but from what I can tell the only channel you are having issues with that I also use is Amazon Prime and I have had no issues with it on my Ultra.  I was having problems with BBC America crashing on startup every time in spite of multiple deinstall/reboot/reinstallations.  This problem went away with my upgrade to 9.0 which I got on Wednesday.

Have you tried uninstalling-rebooting-reinstalling the problem channels?
Have you gotten the 9.0 update yet?
SoundBridge M500 (retired), PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS (retired), Roku XD (retired)
Roku 3 x2, Roku 2, Roku Ultra
0 Kudos
mdahm
Level 7

Thanks. I’m not sure how the awesome html got in there.

When I try to update the software the update progress counter cycles up to 97 or 98% and then I get an error code 006. Unable to update software. The software update failed because the verification failed.

I tried it twice. Does not seem to be a happy unit.
0 Kudos
Kent_c
Level 7

Just got a Roku Ultra and cannot even configure the Roksbox channel.

As soon as I click on the menu it crashes and reboots the ultra.

App was just updated two weeks ago.

Also had crash issues when trying to configure my amazon prime account.
0 Kudos
Bdiles
Level 7

Mdahm,
Were you able to resolve the verification issue? I have tried everything I can think of but still get that error 006 when trying to update to version 8.2.0.4170.
0 Kudos
mdahm
Level 7

I haven't been successful as of yet. When I got the unit it had issues doing the initial update. The resolution at that time was to power off roku/tv/internet router, then bring things back up. My next steps steps was to attempt that, but the family seems to always be using it. If I can get it upgraded I'll update the thread.
0 Kudos
mdahm
Level 7

I left the ultra plugged in and it looks like it was able to update itself on 12/13 to 9.0.0 build 4083.

Network issues still exist. I removed the science go channel and reinstalled it. It crashes 4/5 times when trying to load and any type of navigation within the app if it happens to load will cause it to crash.

I removed the amazon music channel and reinstalled it. It has the same issues. Album art doesn’t load or partially loads. Music fails to stream and stops during a song.

Frustrating.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"mdahm" wrote:
I left the ultra plugged in and it looks like it was able to update itself on 12/13 to 9.0.0 build 4083.

Network issues still exist. I removed the science go channel and reinstalled it. It crashes 4/5 times when trying to load and any type of navigation within the app if it happens to load will cause it to crash.

I removed the amazon music channel and reinstalled it. It has the same issues. Album art doesn’t load or partially loads. Music fails to stream and stops during a song.

Frustrating.

I'd replace the Ultra. Since it's been over a month, the store might not take it back. But, I was able to get Roku to replace a defective Ultra with relative ease. Get an RMA, return it, and they'll ship you a new one. They'll want to see a receipt.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
mdahm
Level 7

Thanks - I sent a note to Roku support earlier today. Fingers crossed.
0 Kudos