Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nikopiko
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra audio dropouts/distortion/sync

I gave up and returned the Roku Ultra I got on Amazon for 1/2 off on Black Friday. Too many little issues that were driving me nuts. Got the new AppleTV and it's absolutely superior in so many ways, especially if you already own an iPhone. Sorry Roku, I tried. Still like my TCL Roku TV, though. It's been pretty solid. 

Highlighted
Cornel
Level 8

The only way to fix the sound is to reboot your Roku Ultra. Have the same problem. While watching a movie the sound suddenly gets garbled  Bad software is the only answer

Highlighted
Hogmodo
Level 7

I have had my Roku Ultra for almost a year.  Last fall, for the first time, we started getting sound problems that only went away when we unplugged the power, waited 30 seconds, and plugged back in.  This happened 2 or 3 times about a day or two apart and then went away.  I contacted Roku support and got nothing.  It has now come back.  Since, during all of this, there have been no changes (except maybe some automatic updates by Roku) so I will have no patience with Roku reps asking me to reset this setting or verify that setting.  My settings work fine for months and then they don't.  Work fine for a while and now its back again.  The settings on my Roku device, TV, etc. are not the problem.  It is Roku's problem to fix or I am going to another brand device that does not do this to me.  Very soon!

Highlighted
siskiyous
Level 8

one member suggested turning the audio OFF and so far that has worked for me

Highlighted
Telo62
Level 9

Nicely put. I still haven't received any feedback from Roku CS, since the first "reboot" response in November 2019. Sad 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I’m having the exact same issues. Popping and clipping for sure. Overall quality varies a bit as well as volume. It’s like the music will get dull, then get ‘bright’ again, between pops, clips and pauses. I’ve tried different audio settings and checked cables, etc

Highlighted
Cornel
Level 8

The problem only occurs after a certain time. Audio gets out of sync or gets garbled on all ROKU Channels. Rebooting helps sometime and resets the system, but it has happened that you have to reboot twice to get the sound back to normal. First I thought it was a software problem, but found out after opening the ROKU Ultra, that it is a component failure due to overheating and the CPU (HiDTV™PRO) had no thermal cooling ! I installed an IC-Graphite Thermal Pad that I bought online. I installed it on the CPU, since then I have had no more problem ! ROKU should take better care manufacturing its players and add a cooling system to their CPU's !

Highlighted
Prepper
Level 7

Apparently it is an issue with the Ultra.  It was the first and only streaming device we tried, wanted to cut cord and ditch satellite, but could not get it to work smooth with mirroring from my phone so renewed satellite plan.  A little while later got a great deal on a new smart tv and just tried it with my phone yesterday and NO issues whatsoever, playback is flawless!  So what I thought was my phone being the issue apparently is the Ultra, jumped on here to research it and see all these other fine folks having the same issues with no solution or fix offered yet?

Thanks, I think I'll try a different device.

Highlighted
Telo62
Level 9

that's amazing that you went thru the self-troubleshooting and found that as a solution! My unit doesn't seem to run hot - but I'm just touching the unit. Mine sits in an open area - so if it is overheating, chances are it's on the board. Thanks for the feedback!!!

BTW - Still nothing from Roku CS. Next week I will have more time on my hands, and it will be time to leave my long-time relationship with Roku. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jockoe
Level 7

@sbellamy3 

I only see a setting for LEVELING in my app.  Is there a setting for LEVELING in the Roku settings, or will I need to turn off LEVELING for each app that's cutting out?

0 Kudos