Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notatester
Level 8

Re: Roku Ultra audio dropouts/distortion/sync

Jump to solution

It is the Ultra, I have 3 and they all have the problem. My older premium and older stick work fine.  The audio will skip every 10 minutes on the Plex app, about the same time interval it will pause or crash Pandora.  Netflix and Amazon has the audio drop out for a few seconds and return, then repeat. Frankly, I think it is a hardware problem, something programming cannot fix. Once enough of this run of Ultras are sold, a new version can be traded for. 

literarypumpkin
Level 8

Jump to solution

I chunked both Rokus and now use Apple; problem solved.

0 Kudos
literarypumpkin
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ridiculous problem. I chunked both of my Rokus, problem solved.

Llisk123
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have a new Roku Ultra LT and the audio was out of sync with the video. I have a new Samsung UN58TU700D TV and have a Yamaha RX-V473 A/V receiver and it provides the audio from HDMI -2 (ARC) from the tv. I couldn't figure out what was going on and then I read somewhere to push the " * " button on the Roku remote and select "audio leveling". That fixed my problem.

0 Kudos
owa65
Level 8

Jump to solution

@owa65 wrote:

I recently purchased one of the new 4K Roku Ultras since I now have a 4K TV but I keep having audio dropout issues with it (bad enough that it is unusable).   I have tried different cables but that didn't help.  I also tried having it decode the audio versus just passing it to my A/V receiver, different HDMI ports, etc. but that didn't help either.  I've mostly been trying to use it with Vudu but I can let it sit on the Home screen and watch my receiver's audio program constantly get reset.  Seems like a HDMI handshaking type issue to me. All my other devices work fine.  

My Roku 4K TV (TCL) works well though so it was really a wasted purchase buying the Ultra.  I figured the TV GUI would be really sluggish compared to a standalone Roku Ultra but the TV has been a pleasant surprise.  So, while I don't really need the Ultra now, I paid around $100 for it so I'd like it to work properly.

Just as an update, I seem to have fixed my audio dropout issue.  First, I tried an older HDMI cable (not for 4K) and went directly to the TV and TV is passing audio to my receiver.  Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos both active and no dropouts.  So, then I tried this cable going directly to my receiver and used the last HDMI port (port 5).  That worked.  Went back to original setup thinking I must have just had a bad connection somewhere but it still didn't work.  So then I switched the HDMI cable on the back of the receiver to the same port I used with that non-4k cable and it surprisingly worked. 

I read in the Yamaha manual that it is best to put devices on the HDMI port that best fits their description but I figured that was just for ease of use when setting up scenes.  I was using the cable/sat labeled HDMI port (port 2) originally but now I'm using one of the HDMI ports that isn't labeled.  Hard to believe that could be it though.  I had also tried the Roku Ultra on the same HDMI port that my 4K blu-ray player is on (port 1, labeled movie) and that didn't work either.  I had also tried it on HDMI port 3 which is labeled for gaming and that didn't work.  Whatever the issue is, just putting it on a HDMI port that wasn't labeled seems to have fixed it and I don't have a clue why.  I've checked settings on all the ports and have them all set the same.  In any case, glad it is working now but it kind of bothers me that I'm not sure why. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ennui101
Level 8

Jump to solution

Connected to Onkyo multimedia receiver. Volume has always been off. Still have dropouts. Roku reboot will fix ... until the next time.

0 Kudos
SLM08
Level 7

Jump to solution

Did you ever get the problem solved?

We have a Roku Ultra which I thought would be better than the firestick and all it's issues. BUT Roku is worse! 

Telo62
Level 9

Jump to solution

All but Amazon Prime and YouTube work - but that really hasn't changed since the beginning. It just so happens we use those channels a LOT! I have a Sony Smart TV - so we go on there to watch what we want- not super convenient - but that's the work around. Roku Ultra tech went backwards. AND I NEVER HAD A TE3CH PERSON EVER RESPOND - WHICH LEADS ME TO BELEIVE THEY KNEW ABOUT HOW TERRIBLE THE ULTRA WAS! 

0 Kudos
sk0gg1es
Level 7

Jump to solution

Been having these issues as well with our Roku devices. Shame that nothing on any forum I read through seems to be able to fix the issue. I was thinking about getting a new Roku Ultra since HBO Max doesn't support 4K on the 4660X, but since this issue seems to be on there as well buying another Roku would be pointless.  I just wish Google/Android TV had a similar interface to Roku, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

0 Kudos
ennui101
Level 8

Jump to solution

I just went through a similar problem with Roku support. They suggested a number of things, most of which I had done. When those didn't work they asked me to do a factory reset. It's a pain because you go back to having to set everything up again, but it DID solve the problem.

@sk0gg1es wrote:

Been having these issues as well with our Roku devices. Shame that nothing on any forum I read through seems to be able to fix the issue. I was thinking about getting a new Roku Ultra since HBO Max doesn't support 4K on the 4660X, but since this issue seems to be on there as well buying another Roku would be pointless.  I just wish Google/Android TV had a similar interface to Roku, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

0 Kudos