Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sandroo
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra audio and video dropout - could this be buffering?

I'm still having this same problem.  Simply browsing and starting a Netflix or Amazon show is impossible without immediate and repeated dropouts.  Restarting the ROKU from the Settings seemed to solve it, I was able to watch for an hour without dropout.
0 Kudos
Sandroo
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra audio and video dropout - DEFECTIVE

Repeated dropout continues, my TV intermittently goes to blue screen even when viewing the System menu.  This is a defective device.  I'm returning it.
BUYER BEWARE
0 Kudos
dfish67
Level 7

I am having the same problem with a new ROKU premium plus.  I have tried different cables and and different HDMI inputs into my Sony Bravia.  The sound pops...the screen goes dark...the sound goes off...and "No Signal" appears on the screen.  This all happens in the space of 5 to 15 seconds (it varies).  This does not happen with my fire.  Strangely, when it happens wile I am browsing through channels when it comes back I am back to the beginning of where I started browsing.  This makes me believe that there is a soft reset in the software or something.  This can happen at the home screen or in an app or watching something streaming.  Very annoying.  I'll be taking it back to Costco in a couple of days.     
0 Kudos
Kyriakos
Level 7

I have this same problem with my premium +. I guess I will be returning it since there seems to be no action toward fixing this:-(
0 Kudos
mst3k
Level 7

Ok I solved the dropouts to video and audio on my Roku Ultra on HDR programming tonite.  I changed the advanced display settings for HDR subsampling from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 and the dropouts have completely stopped.  I've watched several shows tonite in 4K HDR with no dropouts.  To my eye it makes no difference to the picture.  I was trying to watch "Bright" and was getting dropouts in audio and video every few minutes.  Unwatchable to me.  Made this change and all better. I've watched the Punisher and Stranger Things 2 just to check and so far, all better.  My receiver and my TV are capable of 4:4:4 but apparently the Roku Ultra is not. 
0 Kudos
Sandroo
Level 7

Update: I returned the suspect Roku Ultra for a brand new one, but the problem persisted. Tried something new - I bypassed the AV receiver to connect the hdmi directly from Roku to the TV, and added optical cable from Roku to tuner for audio. This required remapping the tuner to accept audio from optical cable, and the smart remote control to send a command to the TV for the correct input. Problem vanished. No issues since my last post. Recently, Integra pushed a firmware update to the tuner. Why not test it? I rewired again three weeks ago, moving the hdmi back to route through the AVR receivers “streaming device” input. Disconnected the optical audio cable and remapped the receiver (again) to input sound from hdmi. It’s now hooked up as designed, with no workaround. Everything works, every time, with no dropped signals.

I suspect the receiver, not the Roku, but if the Roku firmware has also been updated, who knows? It works great now.
0 Kudos
Sandroo
Level 7

Sound skipping is back with a vengeance on Roku 3. Now so bad it’s unwatchable. Bummer. Only change was Cable company upgrade to newer gateway. The Roku is directly wired to the gateway, 114 mbps speed test for download. Anyone have suggestions?
0 Kudos

Try using the highest speed HDMI cables possible, the one that is higher than the 18 gig streaming standard. It seemed to help. Switch out ANY CABLE that can transmit 4k streaming, i.e. Roku to AVR, AVR to TV, etc.
0 Kudos
Sandroo
Level 7

Thanks @steveindianville, I did swap out all cables to new UHD certified llast time we experienced this issue. My new audio problem appears to be related to Roku Ultra release 8.1. Further testing reproduces the same issues described in the new discussion titled “intermittent audio after 8.1 upgrade.” Roku engineers appear to be working on it.
0 Kudos
kenbour
Level 7

Thank you! I had changed the default HDR subsampling rate to 4.2.2. I switched it back to 4.2.0 and the audio dropouts and sync problems seem to have stopped for now. Time will tell...
0 Kudos