Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sandroo
Level 7

Roku Ultra audio and video dropout - could this be buffering?

Update - the problem is not consistent. New Roku Ultra model 4640x, system software v7.5.1 build 4095-29 delivers great 4K image on Sony 850c TV, via Integra DRX4 receiver but we are sometimes getting random blank screen video plus audio dropout. Sony TV shows "no signal" message. Two to four times per one hour show, drops to black screen silence for a few seconds, returning exactly where dropped. Happens with Netflix, Amazon. Also sound and screen drops for Pandora. Audio set to Auto (Dolby D+, DTS). Replaced hdmi cables with new certified cables, with no impact. Other sources (blue ray and xfinity HD TV) do not drop out. Note network hard wired, download Speed test is >100 MBPS. Very annoying, what is this? Thanks!
0 Kudos
18 Replies
exotics4fun
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra audio and video dropout

Same exact issue. Roku had me mail back my Ultra (at my expense) and today I installed the replacement unit they provided. Sadly the issue is unchanged. Retailer (Best Buy) will not accept the return saying it is now outside return window. Not in the mood to pay to ship yet another Roku Ultra back to Roku...
0 Kudos
Sandroo
Level 7

Bummer!
Hello Roku Support: any suggestions?
0 Kudos
Sandroo
Level 7

UPDATE: turns out the problem is not consistent, no dropout in 2 hrs of use last viewing. Wondering - Could this be buffering? Even with a great net connection, 4K packets must be a load.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Ultra audio and video dropout - could this be buffering?

I'm not certain what Amazon sends for a maximum bitstream, but Netflix tops out at 16 Mbps. While watching some of their test patterns, I've seen it display 2160 at just under 10 Mbps. They are also working on an adaptive bitrate that lowers it even further. Buffering is certainly a possibility, but that of course is dependent on your Internet speed. The Ultra is certainly capable of streaming at much higher rates than that, because I've seen streams exceeding 60 Mbps when watching some of my uncompressed Blu ray rips. Even the Stick can handle 40 Mbps or more, as long as the wireless is in good shape. I've also seen 4K material on YouTube exceed 40 Mbps (again back when they had a debug screen available).
But after looking at your original post, I doubt you are having Internet speed issues. However, let me offer something that happened to me. For many months I was unable to get 4K media to actually reach 4K in Netflix. This was when the app still had the debug display showing resolution. I had no issues with 4K from Amazon or YouTube, just Netflix. After discussions with my ISP and an FCC complaint against them, they discovered that something on the Internet (outside their firewalls) was throttling my Netflix connection. They couldn't ID it, and had no control over the cause. It seems to have finally disappeared, but no idea why it was there in the first place. Someone somewhere didn't like all the Internet bandwidth Netflix was using I guess. Long story short, it could be something completely out of Roku, Netflix or you ISP's control. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Sandroo
Level 7

Thanks for your reply, interesting because while Netflix seems to be working again, Fandango is not. Just rented a 4k movie for first time from Fandango. Pisctue and sound were great for first 90 minutes, then dropped entirely with brief bursts of noise and black screen persisting for minutes at a time. Tried a
Restart on everything, and brief pause while watching, to no avail. Last 20 minutes became unwatchable. Done with Fandango, will try something else
0 Kudos
zolotoiy
Level 7

It's not buffering issue. It's screwed up 7.5.1 firmware. LAN content does exactly same.
0 Kudos
cosmoxl
Level 7

roku ultra here doing the same thing.  a second or two of screen going black, sometimes long enough for TV to report loss of signal.

I don't recall it doing this until an update to firmware.

this is on a 1080p system, nothing 4k.

any other talk on this problem, or a fix?
0 Kudos
Sandroo
Level 7

It's still happening for me too.  Rented a movie, it played perfectly until the last 30 minutes. I did buy the Best Buy warranty, I'm thinking about taking it back.

Hello Roku?  Any advice or guidance is appreciated?
0 Kudos

I hadn't watched my Roku 4 for a couple weeks and yesterday started trying to watch it.  I have the exact same problem:  the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and then comes back.  This is while just bouncing around looking for something to watch, not a commitment to a 2 hour movie.  I've never seen this before, so it is new within the last 2-3 weeks.  I did a Roku reboot and a Netflix reboot and nothing changed.  Between this now and all the problems I've been having with my new Dish Hopper 3 and Joey 4k (skipped timers, double recordings, Guide locking up on the first page, etc. with no updates or help from Dish since January) I'm about ready to just watch Blu-Ray rentals from Netflix and wait for everything to get sorted out.
0 Kudos