Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dude6156
Level 7

Roku Ultra and Samsung 8000 series: HDCP Problem !!!

I just purchased a Roku Ultra during the holidays and connected it with a Samsung 8000 series 4k TV.  Updated Roku firmware.

Like many users on this board, I get the same HDCP unauthorized issue.

Changed the HDMIcable (brand new one, HDCP + 4k + 3D certified from Best Buy) - still the same problem.  If I do a "hot" swap or reboot Roku, the problem goes away for a little while but comes back again.

From reading the boards, this is a known issue for at least a year - still no solution?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Ultra and Samsung 8000 series: HDCP Problem !!!

With Samsung sets, make sure you've enabled UHD Color for the HDMI port you are connected to. Are you using an AVR in the HDMI stream?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dude6156
Level 7

I am not using a AVR right now, but eventually will.  Will do what you suggested and get back to you.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

No promises that the setting will resolve your issue, but it's one step to check. Not having an AVR makes your troubleshooting easier. You also have to make sure you are using an HDMI cable certified for 18 Gbps, and even with that the cable can still be an issue. For some reason Roku players are really sensitive about the cable. My problems went away when I bought some Amazon Basics cables. My cables are very short (3' each from Roku to AVR, then to the TV). Longer runs (over 10') can be more problematic. Also, in the Ultra under Advanced Settings you can change a setting from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0. The latter requires less bandwidth and helps sometimes as well.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
sirhaden
Level 7

Vizio E65-E1, direct connection to Roku with new 4K HDMI HDCP 2.2 cables, has been working great.  Firmware update occurred today and now it claims HDCP Unauthorized.  Anyone know how to revert the firmware?
0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Level 7

I’ve got a KS8000 and having no problems with the HDCP issue. I also have the UHD on for the connection I’m using.
0 Kudos