Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gerryex
Binge Watcher

Roku Ultra and Dolby Atmos

I just bought a Roku Ultra so I can get 4K and Dolby Atmos for my 7.1.4 surround setup. I currently subscribe to Paramount Plus and HBO Max.  I was able to get Atmos but then noticed that I was getting Atmos on all the things I was watching which I thought was strange. 

I went into the Ultra's setting and the audio was set to Auto Detect which said it would convert all audio to the highest quality available which for my setup was Atmos.  I then changed it to Auto Detect (Passthrough) but then when I went into HBO Max for Godzilla vs King King (marked in HBO Max as having Atmos) I only got one of the lesser Dolby surrounds.  When I changed the Ultra's setting back to Auto Detect I then got Atmos.

There is a difference between native Atmos and upconverted Atmos and I'm concerned that I'm only getting the lesser Dolby from HBO Max, even though its marked as having Atmos, and the Ultra is upconverting to Atmos.   Shouldn't I be getting native Atmos from HBO Max for this movie when the audio setting is on Passthrough?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
47 REPLIES 47
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra and Dolby Atmos

@gerryex wrote:

Hi ALL,  I just bought a Roku Ultra so I can get 4K and Dolby Atmos for my 7.1.4 surround setup.  For now I only subscribe to Paramount Plus and HBO Max.  I was able to get Atmos but then noticed that I was getting Atmos on all the things I was watching which I thought was strange.  I went into the Ultra's setting and the audio was set to Auto Detect which said it would convert all audio to the highest quality available which for my setup was Atmos.  I then changed it to Auto Detect (Passthrough) but then when I went into HBO Max for Godzilla vs King King (marked in HBO Max as having Atmos) I only got one of the lesser Dolby surrounds.  When I changed the Ultra's setting back to Auto Detect I then got Atmos.

There is a difference between native Atmos and upconverted Atmos and I'm concerned that I'm only getting the lesser Dolby from HBO Max, even though its marked as having Atmos, and the Ultra is upconverting to Atmos.   Shouldn't I be getting native Atmos from HBO Max for this movie when the audio setting is on Passthrough?  Thanks.

Yes.

However, how you connect it (to TV>ARC>AVR, or to AVR>TV) may give you different results.

What does Settings/Audio/HDMI/Auto passthrough (highlight it) indicate as detected?

If you haven't restarted your 4800 after changing the audio's "Auto" mode, do so and check/test again.

0 Kudos
gerryex
Binge Watcher

HI,  The HDMI output of the Roku Ultra is directly connected to my AVR (a Denon 6200W) and then the output of the AVR is directly connected to my 4K compatible LG OLED TV.  I do not use ARC since the TV is old and while it does have ARC it does not support Atmos.  That is why I'm using the Ultra rather than the TV's own apps.  When I'm in the Ultra's settings for Audio/HDMI for both Auto Detect and Auto Passthrough Atmos is indicated as available.  Lastly, the Ultra is on a remote controlled power outlet and is powered off when not in use.  When its in use it has just been powered on and thus has been re-booted.

I'm not sure what else to try!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The Ultra 4800 does not up-convert anything to Atmos. If your AVR is indicating DD+/Atmos, that's what you're getting from the provider. I watched Godzilla vs. King Kong last night on Max, and did get Atmos, along with Dolby Vision with my 4800. 

It's possible that your Ultra didn't HDMI handshake correctly when it powered up. Roku players are designed to remain powered up at all times, and if the power on sequence your equipment uses isn't something that either your AVR or your Roku likes, it might not link up correctly. But I've never had any issues with getting the correct audio and video from either my Rokus or my Shield players, both connected to Yamaha AVRs, most likely because they are always "on".

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
gerryex
Binge Watcher

HI,  Thanks for the additional info.

But what Ultra setting do you have for the Audio/HDMI?  Do you have the Auto Detect or do you have the Auto Passthrough?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@gerryex wrote:

HI,  The HDMI output of the Roku Ultra is directly connected to my AVR (a Denon 6200W) and then the output of the AVR is directly connected to my 4K compatible LG OLED TV.  I do not use ARC since the TV is old and while it does have ARC it does not support Atmos.  That is why I'm using the Ultra rather than the TV's own apps.  When I'm in the Ultra's settings for Audio/HDMI for both Auto Detect and Auto Passthrough Atmos is indicated as available.  Lastly, the Ultra is on a remote controlled power outlet and is powered off when not in use.  When its in use it has just been powered on and thus has been re-booted.

I'm not sure what else to try!

I'm assuming you have a 2016 or earlier LG OLED.

Could you enumerate exactly what is detected at Settings/Audio/HDMI/Auto passthrough (as in, an exact quote)?

0 Kudos
gerryex
Binge Watcher

Yes, My LG OLED is indeed the 2016 model.  When i go to the Ultra's Audio/HDMI setting when its in both Auto Detect and Auto Passthrough i do get Dolby Atmos as available.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@atc98092 wrote:

The Ultra 4800 does not up-convert anything to Atmos. If your AVR is indicating DD+/Atmos, that's what you're getting from the provider. I watched Godzilla vs. King Kong last night on Max, and did get Atmos, along with Dolby Vision with my 4800. 

It's possible that your Ultra didn't HDMI handshake correctly when it powered up. Roku players are designed to remain powered up at all times, and if the power on sequence your equipment uses isn't something that either your AVR or your Roku likes, it might not link up correctly. But I've never had any issues with getting the correct audio and video from either my Rokus or my Shield players, both connected to Yamaha AVRs, most likely because they are always "on".

The 4800 does in fact transcode/convert all (non-DTS, depending) audio to the highest detected Dolby level of the connected device in Auto detect mode - if this is DD+/Atmos, then output is DD+/Atmos; if this is MAT 2.x/Atmos, then output is MAT 2.x/Atmos, etc.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@gerryex wrote:

Yes, My LG OLED is indeed the 2016 model.  When i go to the Ultra's Audio/HDMI setting when its in both Auto Detect and Auto Passthrough i do get Dolby Atmos as available.

Thanks.

One last time, could you post exactly (letter for letter, word for word) what is detected at Settings/Audio/HDMI/Auto passthrough (highlight it).  Not paraphrased, interpreted, or summarized.  Everything after "Detected:"

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@gerryex wrote:

HI,  Thanks for the additional info.

But what Ultra setting do you have for the Audio/HDMI?  Do you have the Auto Detect or do you have the Auto Passthrough?

My audio is on auto-passthrough. HDMI video is on auto-detect, and it reports 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision capable. This is with an LG Nano85, which is less than a year old. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos