Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku Ultra Video repeatedly turning on and off through Sony AVR - Audio works fine

Roku Ultra (4670 series)  connected to a #Sony STR-ZA5000ES receiver with 18Gbps HDMI cable on a 65" Sony 950G

Audio works fine, but the video will flash on and off over and over again until we unplug the Roku power cable and plug it back in. The Roku will then work fine for the next few hours and then the video problem happens again. Firmware is up to date as of March 9, 2020.

Troubleshooting Steps

1. Replaced Roku Ultra (4670 series)  - *no fix
  2. Plug Roku directly into Sony 950G TV and it works fine
  3. Switched HDMI cables - *no fix
  4. Swapped Roku with a Bluray player using the same HDMI cable and input - Bluray works fine
  5. Plugged Roku into another input - *no fix
  6. Changed video display from "Auto Detect" to 1080p, 720p, etc. - *no fix

This is clearly an issue between the Roku Ultra and the Sony Receiver. We've ruled out cables, inputs and hardware problems.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Ultra Video repeatedly turning on and off through Sony AVR - Audio works fine

@BosAutomations Thanks for reaching out here. There are a few other settings and adjustments that you might try changing to see if this makes a difference in the behavior you are reporting: 

1. Try adjusting advanced display settings in Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings

• Disable Auto-adjust display refresh rate 
  • Try adjusting HDR subsampling from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 - Note, you'll also want to try adjusting these related settings on both the A/V receiver to ensure they are configured for whichever option you select. 

2. Try adjusting HDR picture settings on the TV, such as enabling or disabling HDR options to see if this resolves the behavior. 

3. Update the firmware on your Sony receiver and/or TV. 

4. Alternate setup - Try connecting your Roku device directly to the TV, and then connect the TV to the A/V receiver via an HDMI port that supports HDMI ARC. This should allow you to pass audio from the Roku to the receiver. 

Let us know how things go from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Re: Roku Ultra Video repeatedly turning on and off through Sony AVR - Audio works fine

Tanner, thanks for the suggestions.

What I can't figure out if why my Roku stopped working after the latest firmware update and why I have to unplug/replug the Roku power to fix the problem. This unplug solution will work anywhere from one hour to one day before the problem starts up again.

My comments to your are in-line below:

1. Try adjusting advanced display settings in Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings - ALREADY TRIED THIS

2. Try adjusting HDR picture settings on the TV, such as enabling or disabling HDR options to see if this resolves the behavior.  - ALREADY TRIED THIS. - Even if it resolved the problem, it wouldn't be an acceptable resolution because I have a Bluray, Xfinity cable box and Zappiti player connected through my receiver and to my TV

3. Update the firmware on your Sony receiver and/or TV. - FIRMWARE IS UP TO DATE ON ALL PRODUCTS

4. Alternate setup - Try connecting your Roku device directly to the TV, and then connect the TV to the A/V receiver via an HDMI port that supports HDMI ARC. This should allow you to pass audio from the Roku to the receiver. - My A/V products are in a dedicated rack, so this is not a long term solution. I mentioned in my initial post that the Roku Ultra works fine if I connect it directly to the TV. Changing this around will also cause problems with my Control4 automation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@BosAutomations  Thanks for clarifying. A few more questions here:

- Out of curiosity, have you tried swapping out the HDMI cable for a new one, or swapping the ends of the cable?

- When did you first observe this behavior occurring? 

- The next time this issue occurs, could you please generate an issue report tracker ID by pressing the Home button 5 times quickly, followed by the Back button 5 times quickly on your remote? 

Once you have an issue tracker ID, please send me a private message with your Roku account email address, the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About, along with the specific brand/model information for both your TV and receiver once more. If there are any other components involved, such as intermediary switches, connectors, etc. make sure to include that information. As much detail as possible helps when investigating any issue further. If you could also include a shared link to a brief video clip of the behavior occurring, that would be very helpful. 

I'll continue assisting you from there and help pass this information along to our team. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@RokuTannerD,

We got a little delayed due to the COVID-19 virus.

1. Yes, we've tried numerous HDMI cables. I own a technology company, https://bostonautomations.com, and sell a wide variety of cabling products. 

2. The behavior started after the firmware update that happened in January or February. Can't remember at this point.

3. I've spoken to a few of my product manufacturers and we think we've found the issue.

This room is a multi-purpose room for watching TV on a regular basis but also functions as a movie theater. There is both a Sony 950G TV and Sony 295ES Projector hooked up to a Sony 5000ES AVR in the rack.

The Sony AVR is ALWAYS outputting a video signal to both HDMI Out A and HDMI Out B (The TV and Projector respectively). We believe that the Roku is receiving both return signals over HDMI and doesn't like the simultaneous EDID and it "panics" and stops working properly. 

As soon as we set the AVR to only HDMI Out A or only HDMI Out B it works perfectly fine. Many other receivers, like Denon and Marantz have this dual HDMI output feature, but they cannot be disabled in the same way as the Sony, so it makes fixing this problem with these other AVRs much more difficult.

It would be great if Roku could confirm that this is indeed a capability problem with your hardware and if the next firmware update will fix this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Also, @RokuTannerD , I cannot generate an issue tracker by following the 5 button sequence. The Roku screen is blinking on and off ever 2-3 seconds and it seems to be disrupting the button sequence.

0 Kudos