Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lawrence79
Level 7

Roku Ultra/Streaming stick+ on 1080p TV

I plan on using Roku Ultra or  Roku Streaming Stick+ on old 1080p plama tv to stream movies of various formats from my computer using Plex. 
I use Plex to stream movies to 4k Roku tv with no issues. 

Will it still play back 4k/h.265 files on old tv? Or does it need to downcovert them first?  The computer is not good for transcoding. (AMD 6300) 
I'm assuming all non 4k would be fine as long as they are supported by Plex and the Roku player. 

Thank you
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Ultra/Streaming stick+ on 1080p TV

My Ultra is on an older Panasonic 1080 plasma (ST30), and it plays 4K/H.265 just fine. However, if the content you're watching is HDR, it will look quite dull and washed out. I haven't tried watching something HDR on Vudu, so maybe those sources recognize the display resolution and only provide the 1080 source, or 4K without HDR. But watching one of my UHD rips with HDR is annoying because of the lack of vibrant colors.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos