Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rtjazzman
Level 7

Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Just got the Roku Ultra yesterday in anticipation of cutting the TWC cord.
Brand new installation of a Roku Ultra paired with a Samsung 55" KS8500 SUHD TV.
While trying to look at HD videos on YouTube, the screen was purple but the audio played perfectly. Sometimes the issue corrected itself after a few seconds, sometimes it didn't.
According to Samsung, the Samsung One Connect Box (all inputs connect to this unit) contains four HDCP 2.2 compatible HDMI ports so that shouldn't be an issue.
After cycling the power on the Roku Ultra and turning the TV off and then back on, the issue seemed to correct itself but came back later.
The Samsung TV also has its own YouTube apps which work perfectly but YouTube won't work consistently thru the Roku.
Note: Discovered also an issue with the Roku 4K Channel. Can't seem to stream anything from there without that purple screen.
ANY THOUGHTS/IDEAS/HELP?? I'd be much appreciated!!
Thanks in Advance
0 Kudos
154 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

We're looking into the issue.  Some customers have seen success (as a work-around) by hot-swapping the HDMI cord (unplug it from the TV, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in).

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
berting
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
We're looking into the issue.  Some customers have seen success (as a work-around) by hot-swapping the HDMI cord (unplug it from the TV, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in).

C. Shawn Smith

Thank you, Shawn...
0 Kudos
kennyr35
Level 7

I bought a Premiere+ and was having the same issues as described above. The cable (Link) and TV (Samsung KS8000) both support 4K, but I was still getting the HDCP unauthorized message. I walked through all the step the article mentions and even tried calling up support directly. Eventually they sent me a new box. With that being said, I figured it out with the original box a day ago. You need to enable HDMI UHD Color (in the TV settings) for whichever HDMI port your using, that should solve your problem.

Let me know if it works for you.
0 Kudos
snmitch1965
Level 7

Hey bud,

I had same problem when I installed - it took a combination of changing out HDMI cables end to end (Roku -> Denon receiver -> Panasonic HD Plasma) and making sure to power off all devices and start up in a specific order to make it go away. Of course I am assuming you have the settings right for the display in the Roku which is job 1.

Good luck.
Mitch
0 Kudos
nathanh
Level 7

I have the same exact problem.  I also have the same television (Samsung KS800) and Roku ultra.  As you might have already searched, most of the solution pertaining to this problem recommend that you restart the roku or/and unplug and replug the hdmi cable.  This does help for a while but then the hdcp error comes up again and again, and it's a pain to have to restart the roku each time this happens.  What seemed to help me so far was switching to a different hdmi cable - I had an old one on hand which I bought a long time ago; there is no name on it, but it worked better.  In the beginning, I did not want to use my old hdmi cable because I thought it might not be 4K compatible. I bought a new hdmi cable that says "4k Capable and High speed - Ethernet" when I bought my Roku, thinking that it would be better. I always thought that all hdmi cables were the same since most reviewers on the web says that it is all 1's and 0's so the cable does not matter so I bought a cheap Vizeo cable at Walmart.  However, when I switched to my old hdmi cable the hdcp error decreased.  It did not go away, but I only occurred very rarely ( 2 days have gone by without an error) whereas the Vizeo cable caused the hdcp error to occur every few hours.  With my old cable (which has much better construction than the Vizeo), there are a few instances where the screens blacks out for 1/2 second and I think I am going to see the purple hdcp error but it goes back to normal and there is no error.  So what I think might be happening is that the new 4K information is much more difficult to transmit through the hdmi cable and there are instances where if the cable is poorly constructed it my cause a loss or error of information being sent, causing the hdcp error to occur.  I might try some new cables next time with better construction and probably switch to a shorter length ( I am using a 6' right now) to see if this reduces the black screen glitches and hdcp error occurance. I hope this information helps.  I am in the same boat and it is frustrating, but please let me know if anyone have any other suggestions or know of a good hdmi cable that has worked for them.
0 Kudos
hogandog
Level 7

I also am experiencing HDCP Unauthorized errors with my Roku Ultra and Samsung KS8000 series TV. I have already contacted Roku customer support - case # 6243215 regarding the issue. I referenced this specific thread. The Roku agent recommended that I send in my Ultra box for a replacement. When I asked whether or not Roku was working on a solution towards this known issue, I was told by the agent that he was unaware since his team is separate from the device support team... How do I know if a new Roku Ultra will fix the problem if there are multiple existing bug reports highlighting this known issue?

My Roku Ultra is connected via a 3' HDMI 2.0 compliant cable to the Samsung OneConnect Mini hub via its native HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 input. The OneConnect Mini hub is connected to the back of the TV. I have tried several different HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 compliant cables at similar lengths (<6') with no luck - all produce the "HDCP Unauthorized" screen at one point or another when playing back video. HDMI UHD Color is enabled under the Samsung TV Settings. Under Roku - Settings - Display Type, 4K UHD HDR TV is enabled. 4K/4K HDR are both at 60fps.

Sometimes, I can get the Roku to trigger the HDCP Unauthorized error when trying to play back certain content through channels, other times it will just happen on its own. Once the error occurs, all attempts at video playback in any other Roku channel produces the same results. 

As with everyone else, restarting the Roku Ultra/TV seems to be only a temporary fix and the HDCP Unauthorized errors quickly resume. ShawnS's hotfix of unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in DURING the HDCP Unauthorized Error does indeed lead to proper video playback, however this temporary method of video playback is not plausible for a family streaming box.

Will Roku acknowledge us and please give us updates regarding the status of this bug? It cripples the functionally of the device and renders it near useless as a 4K HDR streaming device. I'd be more than happy to return my Roku Ultra for a replacement, IF and ONLY IF I know your team acknowledges this fatal bug and provides us with an update.
0 Kudos
Scottocs15
Level 7

+1

Same issues for us as well.
Roku Ultra going into Hisense 4K UHD TV (supports HDR, YUV, and full 4:4:4 RGB) with all new high speed HDMI cables.... but, have to restart the Roku a lot after it goes into the pink screen/HDCP error mode and is a big pain.
Have swapped cables and inputs (and our other devices and PS4 Pro work fine) so it's just the Roku having a glitch with HDCP when in 4K.

Please get an update out to fix this Roku!!
0 Kudos
spanglmd
Level 7

Constant issues for me with the Amazon app. HDCP errors sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes. I can't even watch a show. I am set up for 4K HDR and am on the newest Roku software version.

Haven't really had any issues with Netflix 4K HDR. There is something wrong with the Amazon app.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

Seeing the same problem here only after the 7.5.1 update. Before that I never saw this problem.
Rebooting the Roku or setting the display to 4k and saving it then setting it back to 4k with HDR and saving it solves it temporarily but it starts happening again later. Not sure what triggers it.
Right now my wife has been watching Netflix for about 4 hours and it hasn't happened once.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos