Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tprins228
Level 8

Roku Ultra No Video After Switching Inputs

My AV setup is listed below. Yesterday, I had to switch the inputs on my TV from input 1 to input 2 due to needing input 1 for ARC connection to my Vizio sound bar. Now, every time I switch back to my roku, I get no video or audio until I pull the power cord and plug it back in to restart it. Sometimes I will get a quick crackle of audio along with a split pinkish and noise screen that will then go to black. Is this still a known issue or is there a fix? This is super frustrating. I never had this issue while using HDMI 1. Unfortunately, I don't have the option any more as I need to use ARC for my soundbar and my soundbar doesn't do 4k pass-through.

Device ID: CK4873393119

sw ver: 9.2.0 build 4807-46

tv: Vizio M706-G3

HDMI switch: Kinivo 550BN 4K

11 REPLIES 11\
Mdouglas13
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra No Video After Switching Inputs

@tprins228 wrote:

My AV setup is listed below. Yesterday, I had to switch the inputs on my TV from input 1 to input 2 due to needing input 1 for ARC connection to my Vizio sound bar. Now, every time I switch back to my roku, I get no video or audio until I pull the power cord and plug it back in to restart it. Sometimes I will get a quick crackle of audio along with a split pinkish and noise screen that will then go to black. Is this still a known issue or is there a fix? This is super frustrating. I never had this issue while using HDMI 1. Unfortunately, I don't have the option any more as I need to use ARC for my soundbar and my soundbar doesn't do 4k pass-through.

Device ID: CK4873393119

sw ver: 9.2.0 build 4807-46

tv: Vizio M706-G3

HDMI switch: Kinivo 550BN 4K

I exact same issue with my Roku Ultra which is only three months old.  Sometimes unplugging and plugging back in the HDMI cable multiple times will also work but the power reset is the only sure way of doing it and it shows back up after the bouncing Roku after startup. I've changed out multiple cables changed HDMI ports move to separate TV and still have the same issue if it's left overnight I will get a black screen or after about an hour or so of nine watching and switching back to it. Obviously this is still an issue as I'm having the same problem with a brand new Roku Ultra!

Roku Ultra/4670R
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@tprins228 @Mdouglas13 

Thanks for the note.

How are you powering the device? Is the device plugged in through a USB port or is it plugged into the wall with the provided cables and adapter?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
tprins228
Level 8

Into the wall with supplied adapter. 

Mdouglas13
Level 9

@tprins228 wrote:

Into the wall with supplied adapter. 

mine also plugged into wall. 

Roku Ultra/4670R
0 Kudos
HrEoLkPu
Level 7

I have a similar problem. I have a new Role Ultra connected to a Sony soundbar connected to Sony TV. If we turn off the soundbar when we turn it back on it can no longer receive video from the Roku I have multiple devices and only the Roku has this problem.   the only fix I know is to unplug HDMI and power, power down everything and then power it all back up. sometimes I have to do it more than once.

I have an older model Roku upstairs with a similar configuration and it does not exhibit this problem.

0 Kudos
tprins228
Level 8

@RokuDanny-R 

Is there anything else I should try?  Or is this a known firmware issue?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@tprins228 @Mdouglas13 @HrEoLkPu 

Thanks for the information.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
bbusse
Level 8

Guys,  I just bought an MRX 1120 and also use a Roku Ultra and was running into issues with no video when turning on my TV and MRX with CEC.  Ensured the MRX and Roku had the latest firmware/software, dug through settings, etc... and was still left with a sometimes non-working device and was contemplating returning the MRX,  as my much older/cheaper Onkyo was fine.

What i've found is,   I needed to disable the Automatic Recovery that the Roku Ultra has,  and in the Roku Settings --> Display Type,   set it to a value I wanted it to stay on.   In my case, I don't like HDR,  so I set it to 4K / 60 Hz.    What most people have set to, which is default, is likely 'Auto Detect' and even if they do set it to something specific like I have,   the Roku Ultra will sometimes feel the need to revert back to 'Auto Detect' in order to recover from a bad handshake or whatever.

There is a hidden menu on the Roku Ultra that you can go into and disable auto recovery.   Meaning if you set it to 4k/60,  it'll freaking stay that way.   No more bad timing/handshake issues as it'll always try 4k/60. and at no point should it try anything less.   Obviously if you're going to move your Roku to another display, you should probably make darn sure it supports the mode you've selected,  or re-enable auto recovery.

To get into this hidden menu, use your remote and do the following using the home button and directional pad:  (5X Home, Down, Left, 3X Up).    Side note, you might end up with 99 lives in Contra if you do this Smiley Wink

Hope this helps.   

0 Kudos
pwentz3l
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R 

I seem to have the same issue.  Roku Ultra.  Full sound, but no video.  I've been trying different resets, etc. for the last few weeks, but can't get resolution.  What do I need to do to be able to use my TV again?

0 Kudos