Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wdrbbq
Level 7

Roku Ultra No Sound

I just uninstalled my Roku stick and installed Roku Ultra. With Roku Ultra the only sound I get from the tv speakers is the sound made when I first plug in Roku Ultra and the letters ROKU are jumping up and down. After that I get no sound at all through the tv. The only sound I can get is when the earbuds are plugged into the jack on the remote. The volume and mute work fine for earbuds but when I unplug the earbuds I get no sound from any program on Fubo or Sling coming from my tv. I just re-installed my Roku stick and the sound is fine.

What could possibly be the problem and how may I solve it? Thanks. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
wdrbbq
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra No Sound

Update:

Now, since switching Audio from Auto Detect to Dolby, I have sound through my tv speakers. However, I cannot adjust the sound volume with the new remote. The sound volume and mute on the remote only work when the earbuds are plugged into the jack on the remote and only adjusts and mutes earbud volume. It has absolutely no effect on tv speaker volume, nor does it mute with the earbuds disconnected. In order to adjust speaker volume I must use the remote from my Roku stick. 

Is my remote defective or is there some other adjustment I could try? 

;Now, since switching Audio from Auto Detect to Dolby, I have sound through my tv but the volume on my remote only works

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@wdrbbq 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with more information about the issue you are experiencing?

Are you using an AVR? If so, was your Streaming Stick plugged into the AVR and are you currently plugging your Roku Ultra into the AVR? In addition, have you tried to connect your Roku Ultra directly into your TV and bypassing your AVR?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
wdrbbq
Level 7

Please excuse my ignorance. I don't know what an AVR is. Here is my setup:

The Roku Ultra is plugged into the same HDMI port on my Sharp smart tv as the Roku stick was. The sound then goes to my Harman/Kardon PT2300 pre amp and out to my JBL Studio Monitors.

For some reason there was no sound when the audio was on Auto Detect, which is where it is set for my Roku stick. In order to get sound through the speakers with my Roku Ultra I had to select Dolby. 

The remaining problem is that the volume and mute buttons on the side of the Ultra remote neither change the volume through the speakers nor show up on the screen when I push one of the volume or mute buttons. However, when I have the earbuds plugged into the remote, the volume and mute buttons are fully operational and show on the screen with nothing coming through the speakers. The only way I can change the volume through the speakers is with the remote from the Roku stick, but ironically ONLY the volume and mute buttons work via that remote.

In summary:

With the Roku Ultra connected, all buttons on the remote work except the volume and mute buttons when the earbuds are not plugged in. With the earbuds connected the volume and mute buttons work but of course the volume from the tv is muted, as it should be.

The only way I can raise or lower the volume on the tv is with the remote from the Roku stick while all other buttons on that remote are inoperative.  

0 Kudos