Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghuliani
Level 7

Roku Ultra No Signal

I’ve had my Roku Ultra 4K for two years now connected to a Samsung TV via HDMI. In the midst of viewing something the TV suddenly said No Signal.

I unplugged the Roku and it worked again until the next day when the same issue occurred. Since then I keep getting No Signal. Even though the white light is on, the Roku doesn’t do anything when I press the remote buttons or the reset button.

I’ve tried different ports, different HDMI cables, new batteries in the remote. It seems like a product defect. Roku support has no advice other than to replace it. My worry is that if it is a hardware failure then I don’t really want to replace the unit only to have the same issue again. This product really should last more than two years!

Has anyone else experienced this and have any other ideas? Is this possibly repairable??
0 Kudos
9 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Roku Ultra No Signal

First thing I'd try is a new power supply.. the power supply may be under-powering your Roku.. it night appear as though it's working because of the light on the Roku, but the PS could still be dying. Not bad to have a spare, if you get a new PS and discover a new solution to your problem..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
ghuliani
Level 7

I should have mentioned I also tried a new power supply and plugged the Roku into various different outlets!
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 8

While no authority, "No signal" generally refers to Internet connection. If you're using WiFi I'd be looking into the router rather than the Roku. Personally I use a powerline wired network since it's faster and more reliable than WiFi. Hope that helps
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"jontalk" wrote:
While no authority, "No signal" generally refers to Internet connection. If you're using WiFi I'd be looking into the router rather than the Roku. Personally I use a powerline wired network since it's faster and more reliable than WiFi. Hope that helps

"No signal" is usually a message coming from the TV, telling the user there's no HDMI signal from a device to the TV.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
ghuliani
Level 7

Right it’s defintiely not a WiFi message. It’s the tv telling me to check the connection to the Roku.

I’ve really tried everything. Since it worked once when I unplugged and plugged the Roku in again, I suspect it’s a hardware failure. What is disappointing is that I’ve seen a few other posts about this so it seems Roku has frequent problems with hardware. And no solution. Probably both worth buying a replacement!
0 Kudos
Flyinl0w
Level 7

I have a brand new Roku Ultra LT (Walmart model).  When I first powered it up, there was only a black screen and message from my TV that there was no input.  I tried everything you mentioned and more. Once I saw the jumping Roku blocks starting up, but within a few seconds the video output again stopped.  I finally got on a chat with a Roku person.  He was helpful but his bottom line was that nothing could be done and I should return it as defective.  Before doing so, I tried re-setting the box (not the remote) a couple more times and lo and behold, it began working.  Or so I thought, because it continued to stop outputting video intermittently.

I don't know if the box is sketchy or if it could somehow be the HDMI cable, so I'm going to buy a new one. If the trouble continues then my box will be going back to Walmart.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@Flyinl0w wrote:

I have a brand new Roku Ultra LT (Walmart model).  When I first powered it up, there was only a black screen and message from my TV that there was no input.  I tried everything you mentioned and more. Once I saw the jumping Roku blocks starting up, but within a few seconds the video output again stopped.  I finally got on a chat with a Roku person.  He was helpful but his bottom line was that nothing could be done and I should return it as defective.  Before doing so, I tried re-setting the box (not the remote) a couple more times and lo and behold, it began working.  Or so I thought, because it continued to stop outputting video intermittently.

I don't know if the box is sketchy or if it could somehow be the HDMI cable, so I'm going to buy a new one. If the trouble continues then my box will be going back to Walmart.

Absolutely try a new cable first. You didn't mention what model TV you are connecting to, but 4K/HDR requires a quality HDMI cable capable of 18 Gbps data speed. Be careful buying a cable, because I've seen 11 Mbps cables advertised as 4K capable. Yes, they are. But not at 4K/60fps with HDR. 

It doesn't have to be expensive cables. The Amazon Basics are under $10 for average lengths. I bought two 3' cables for $8, and they work fine for both my Ultra when it was on that TV, and now my Shield.

But a defective box is certainly a possibility. Electronics can fail, even in a new device. Sometimes quality control just misses one. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Flyinl0w
Level 7

My TV is a 5-year old Samsung plasma screen, 1080P not 4K.  It seems that should run fine with a "High Speed with Internet" cable just as my previous Roku 4200X box did, unless the new Ultra boxes require an 18 Gbps minimum cable regardless of what's downstream.  I bought 18 Gbps cables at Walmart but haven't tried them yet.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Nope, a 1080 TV doesn’t need an 18 GBPs cable. But I had to ask.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos