Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra - Missing Auto-PowerOff

Heck I would be happy with even a sleep command so that hdmi cec could send a powerdown to tv/receiver. Apple TV can do this..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Ahh although the Roku 4 has a screen saver that turns on from the main menu, the shut down is still need. I cannot believe this was not added! Clearly not though out ! Here is my issue, I have no way to shut down the device unless I unplug it, so when I go back to the Roku Ultra, it stuck on the screen saver. One would think that natural life of the product would greatly decrease from being powered the entire time you own the device! Maybe there is a reason behind the no-powering off  ! These companies !
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"nkeesy76" wrote:
Ahh although the Roku 4 has a screen saver that turns on from the main menu, the shut down is still need. I cannot believe this was not added! Clearly not though out ! Here is my issue, I have no way to shut down the device unless I unplug it, so when I go back to the Roku Ultra, it stuck on the screen saver. One would think that natural life of the product would greatly decrease from being powered the entire time you own the device! Maybe there is a reason behind the no-powering off  ! These companies !

Do you feel the same way about your TV?

Think about it. Can you take your remote and click a button and your TV comes on? You know why that is? It’s because the TV isn’t off. It’s in a low power mode with the screen off. But the TV is still on. And drawing power.

If it was actually off, it wouldn’t be drawing power, right? Right.

If it wasn’t using power, then the receiver in the TV that accepts signals from the remote wouldn’t work. It needs power to work. But it works. Because it’s drawing power. Because it’s not off.

Your TV is on. But you think of it as being off because the bottom that puts it in low power mode has the words “Off” next to it instead of “Low Power Mode.”
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Sorry Bud I dont agree, even though it does make sense ! My TV does not get stuck on the screen savor and picture starts to fade. This is strictly the Roku, NVIDIASHIELD does not operate in this sense, as a matter of fact, the NVIDIASHIELD has a power button inside the user interface also know as the GUI, there is no excuse any way you look at it, there should be a option to change the device to low power mode. Its almost like the development was incomplete ! I shouldn't have to unplug the device when I want to shut the device down ! No cover-ups or excuses, it is what it is ! 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

You don’t seem to be grasping that if you can turn your Nvidia Shield “on” with a remote, the fact you can do that means the device is still on. The Nvidia Shield doesn’t turn off either.

They’re saying “off” but they aren’t off. Nothing that can be activated by a wireless (RF or IR) remote is off, even if they say “off.” They are still drawing power.

If Roku took their approached and called “low power mode” by the term “off” they’d be playing the same game as all the others, but you’d be happy?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"nkeesy76" wrote:
Sorry Bud I dont agree, even though it does make sense ! ...

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I'm so glad that we've been mansplained about power!

I know I've read a number of requests and I know how my other devices behave.  I know that falling asleep while watching a streaming service does nothing but chew up bandwidth.  I've asked for similar behavior.

This is software and it should be configurable.  I personally see value in a sleep mode function that exits all apps, returns to home screen, and triggers an ultra low power state where nothing but the remote interface is active.  Make it configurable as to whether you want the device in a base OS mode or not (able to do updates and stay connected to the internet).  As I said, I have numerous devices that have similar configurable functions (AVR, TV, DVR, PC, ...).  It would also be nice to configure the CEC interface (if enabled) to send out a power down signal.  These are reasonable and useful requests and basic to most modern devices.

Please, I need no mansplaining on the requested behavior.  I get it!
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Nobody was talking to you. 

Nobody was mansplaining anything to you.

Your issue is not what they were talking about. You even mentioned that, but then looked to change it to your pet peeve anyway, namely if you leave the Roku streaming, it streams.

Several apps already return to home screen after extended user inactivity, just not, it seems, the ones you use. They behave similar to what you’re wanting, except the Roku doesnt send a shutdown signal to the TV, and yes, it could via a software update. And would be a good feature if it was optional. But this conversation was about the “Off” feature. 

Yeah, you get it. They don’t. Or even when they do, they reject it. But none of that was at you. You just hopped in and made it about you. Have you tried going to the Developer Forum and interrupting a thread on displaying graphics with your “make it stop streaming” agenda? That might work.

Or, you could go to the Requested Feature Thread and listed it there. I hope I didn’t overly mansplain that for you.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"DBDukes" wrote:

Your issue is not what they were talking about. 

You should maybe read the thread.  Bless your heart!
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

DBDukes, Smokindog is right. The thread was about the auto-power off. You’re right that some don’t get the difference between Off and Low Power. But like y’all were saying, an option to send a power down signal after it sleeps for a period of time, configurable from Immediate to Never and times in between would be good. 

But Roku doesn’t do that. Request the feature via that Feature Request thread. 
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos