Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - Missing Auto-PowerOff

Oh and one other thing maybe someone can help me with. I am new to Roku. I naively thought I could eliminate the expense of cable by having a Roku and internet. Now I find that most every channel on Roku either requires a subscription or cable/satellite service. The few free things that I have found are either movies from the 1950 or horror/sci Fi movies. I know Hulu, Sling, etc require subscriptions, but I'd be happy with just my local over the air channels. Help???
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"SkyRain" wrote:
I was watching a movie but decided to go to sleep. No way to power off Roku Ultra so I just turned off my tv. I thought that would stop the movie. Today I found 17 msgs from AT&T that I had gone over my data allowance so they had added more plus $10! So now I'm fighting to get the $170 off of my bill. A power off button would have been real helpful. Guess I'll just have to unplug it from the wall each night before I go to sleep. Not happy ☹️

No you do not need to unplug it. Simply press the home button and Roku returns to the home screen and that stops all streaming. 

There is a super tiny amount of data usage at times when the Roku is on the home screen but nothing that should have any real impact on data caps.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

"SkyRain" wrote:
Oh and one other thing maybe someone can help me with. I am new to Roku. I naively thought I could eliminate the expense of cable by having a Roku and internet. Now I find that most every channel on Roku either requires a subscription or cable/satellite service. The few free things that I have found are either movies from the 1950 or horror/sci Fi movies. I know Hulu, Sling, etc require subscriptions, but I'd be happy with just my local over the air channels. Help???

Actually there are quite a number of channels that don't require a subscription. But be prepared for ads, sometimes lots of them. Yes, almost all of the "cable" channels will require paying a monthly fee or a having a cable subscription. Since only Roku TVs have a OTA tuner, there's no way to watch OTA stations directly with a Roku. However, there are ways to get OTA signals and watch them using a Roku. I believe the most common is using an Homerun box, which contains the OTA tuner(s) and can be controlled and viewed over your home network. I don't use one, so can't provide the specifics on it. I know Plex can work with them. The Plex channel is free to install, but requires a Plex Pass subscription to connect to a Homerun. The Plex Pass can be a recurring fee or you can buy a lifetime subscription. Again, I don't have it so can't say what that cost actually is. There might be other Roku channels that work with a Homerun as well, but I'm not familiar enough with them to say.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"SkyRain" wrote:
I was watching a movie but decided to go to sleep. No way to power off Roku Ultra so I just turned off my tv. I thought that would stop the movie. Today I found 17 msgs from AT&T that I had gone over my data allowance so they had added more plus $10! So now I'm fighting to get the $170 off of my bill. A power off button would have been real helpful. Guess I'll just have to unplug it from the wall each night before I go to sleep. Not happy ☹️

If you watched a movie when the movie ended it should have stopped and not auto continue playing movies. If you got 17 msgs just from part of 1 movie I think u were close to ur limit already..Now if its netflix that might play other movies/tv shows (but you can disable auto play). But I do agree an auto sleep for roku would be nice let alone say being able to hold the home button for a few seconds to bring up a screen to sleep (helps with hdmi  cec to turn off tv and receiver then).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

For those who want to turn off your Roku, use an iHome ISP6X Wi-FI Smart Plug.  I use this for my Sony CDP-C50 CD changer.  I had this changer since the 80's and had to get up and turn the unit on because there is no on/off on the remote, (so really didn't use it much).  That got old in this age of technology.  So now when the urge hits to listen to CDs I'll do it and not settle on my other media because it is easier to access.  Yeah go ahead, call me lazy!

Now all I say is "Hey Siri" "Turn CD" the CD will turn either on or off depending on the state. You can say "Turn CD on or off" but hey, I'm lazy!
♥ Sony XBR75X940E 75-Inch 4K ♥ Denon AVR-X4300H 7.2.4 (ATMOS DTS:X) ♥ NAD 275BEE Amp ♥ OPPO UDP-203 ♥ GoldenEar Triton One ♥ PCH-C200 ♥ Thecus N5550 8TB (Raid5) ♥
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"BaelRathLian" wrote:
Two things that have always bugged me about the roku units is the lack of a power off / sleep mode option(s).  That and when idle for a while it is still drawing bandwidth from my DSL.  I was hoping when I got the ultra that I would not still have to deal with these (defects) problems.

If it didn't stay on and online all the time how would it get it's auto updates?
Roku 2xs (3100x), Roku Express (3900x) ,Roku Ultra (4660RW) .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 100/100, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Roku needs to incorporate an update to turn the unit off when we are finished with it, until then you have to get up and unplug it from the socket. This does the trick but you have to get up and walk across the room when you are in bed and ready to sleep, which sucks. It would be great if Roku actually listened to complaints and tried to implement some improvments, I've been using Roku models for years and I've never seen any with an option to shut off, if it has to boot up then logically it should have a shut down feature too. This is unacceptable.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

"Emissary35" wrote:
This is unacceptable.

Why?  It has been proven time and again that Roku units tend to consume ~2W of power, which is virtually undetectable on your power bill.  For example, https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/roku-saving-money-electric-bill-versus-cable-tv/
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

"optikhog" wrote:
"Emissary35" wrote:
This is unacceptable.

Why?  It has been proven time and again that Roku units tend to consume ~2W of power, which is virtually undetectable on your power bill.  For example, https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/roku-saving-money-electric-bill-versus-cable-tv/

Agree.  I'd rather spend that 13 cents making sure the unit is on when I press power rather than waiting for boot.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Why are the fanboys getting so worked up over this, its a simple feature request to allow us power off abilities. Clearly so many people want this feature that forum threads have been started on top of an faq support page dedicated to this question. I guess ill have to use the power strip for now until roku updates with this option
0 Kudos