Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottC007
Level 7

Roku Ultra - Missing Auto-PowerOff

Hello,

I just received my Roku ultra the other day and I can not find the setting to have it auto power-off like my Roku 4. My wife and I often fall asleep watching something and I can not find the option to have the Roku Ultra auto power-off

Am I missing something?
0 Kudos
30 Replies
mikeyts
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - Missing Auto-PowerOff

I believe that the power off ability of the Roku 4 (the first Roku to have that) was due to its relatively high power consumption and (mostly) its audible cooling fan.  The Roku Ultra draws half the power (about 4.5W streaming, 4W idle) and has no fan.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

In the meantime, you can use the power off time on your TV, to do the same thing..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
ScottC007
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
In the meantime, you can use the power off time on your TV, to do the same thing..

Yah, This is what I have been doing. But I definitely miss the power-off feature,  the TV would automatically turn itself off after 15 minutes of no signal from the Roku 4
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 7

Roku 3 was designed to always be on. Roku 4 added the fan and so that though process had to change. Roku ultra is back like the roku 3 so it probably is not needed. But if the code was written for the 4 why not keep it in for a user who wants to turn the roku off?
0 Kudos
mikeyts
Level 7

"hackztor" wrote:
Roku 3 was designed to always be on. Roku 4 added the fan and so that though process had to change. Roku ultra is back like the roku 3 so it probably is not needed. But if the code was written for the 4 why not keep it in for a user who wants to turn the roku off?

It may have been a hardware capability added to Roku 4 which was not incorporated into the new design.
0 Kudos
BaelRathLian
Level 7

Two things that have always bugged me about the roku units is the lack of a power off / sleep mode option(s). That and when idle for a while it is still drawing bandwidth from my DSL. I was hoping when I got the ultra that I would not still have to deal with these (defects) problems.
0 Kudos
cocokola
Level 7

My audio link from roku causes my tv to switch back on, so I have to stop playback.. It's the new power off feature for me else my smart tv refuses to stay powered off.

Plex still transcodes taking cpu and wifi bandwidth also unless i exit plex. Again, power off would be useful. Sigh
0 Kudos
Crow550
Level 7

I think HDMI-CEC can detect changing video or power source and turn itself off for like a Blu-Ray player.... Would be nice if it went back to the Home screen for Roku's.

It might get added but look how long it took for HDMI-CEC & 24hz features to be added. Smiley Wink

Keep suggesting it though. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
SkyRain
Level 7

I was watching a movie but decided to go to sleep. No way to power off Roku Ultra so I just turned off my tv. I thought that would stop the movie. Today I found 17 msgs from AT&T that I had gone over my data allowance so they had added more plus $10! So now I'm fighting to get the $170 off of my bill. A power off button would have been real helpful. Guess I'll just have to unplug it from the wall each night before I go to sleep. Not happy ☹️
0 Kudos