Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgold23
Level 7

Roku Ultra Issue

I recently upgraded from a Roku 3 to the Roku Ultra and have been experiencing issues with the new device.  The installation went fine, and I was able to stream seamlessly after the setup.  

However, when I turned the TV on the next day (and I tried turning it on via the TV remote as well as the Roku remote) my television wasn't picking up the Roku Ultra on the HDMI port that it's connected to.  To resolve the issue, I have to pull the HDMI plug out and plug it back in, and I have to do this each time I turn on the TV.  It works fine after I do this but it's very annoying and it shouldn't be happening.

This did not happen with the the Roku 3, and I have tried multiple HDMI cables so I know that it's not a faulty cable.  

Any idea why I have reconnect the HDMI cable every time I turn on the TV to get it to recognize the Roku Ultra?  Again, this did not happen with the Roku 3 and it does not happen with the Roku stick which I tried on the same TV.  I also tried connecting the cable to other HDMI ports in the TV and got the same results.

The TV is a 50+ inch Samsung - about 3 years old.  

Thanks.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Ultra Issue

My first suggestion is to use a different HDMI cable. If your TV is 4K (and even if it's not) the Ultra is more sensitive to HDMI cable quality than older boxes. When I replaced my 4 with the Ultra, using the same cable that worked fine for 4K streaming wouldn't even connect to the TV. Replacing the cable with an 18 Gbps certified cable made all the difference. I use Amazon Basics cables, which are very inexpensive. I got two 4' cables for less than $10, and replaced both the cable from the Roku to the amp and from the amp to the TV. Make sure all cables in the stream are the same quality.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
rgold23
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra Issue

"atc98092" wrote:
My first suggestion is to use a different HDMI cable. If your TV is 4K (and even if it's not) the Ultra is more sensitive to HDMI cable quality than older boxes. When I replaced my 4 with the Ultra, using the same cable that worked fine for 4K streaming wouldn't even connect to the TV. Replacing the cable with an 18 Gbps certified cable made all the difference. I use Amazon Basics cables, which are very inexpensive. I got two 4' cables for less than $10, and replaced both the cable from the Roku to the amp and from the amp to the TV. Make sure all cables in the stream are the same quality.

Thanks for the response but as I said I tried multiple HDMI cables.  I don't think it's that.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra Issue

"rgold23" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
My first suggestion is to use a different HDMI cable. If your TV is 4K (and even if it's not) the Ultra is more sensitive to HDMI cable quality than older boxes. When I replaced my 4 with the Ultra, using the same cable that worked fine for 4K streaming wouldn't even connect to the TV. Replacing the cable with an 18 Gbps certified cable made all the difference. I use Amazon Basics cables, which are very inexpensive. I got two 4' cables for less than $10, and replaced both the cable from the Roku to the amp and from the amp to the TV. Make sure all cables in the stream are the same quality.

Thanks for the response but as I said I tried multiple HDMI cables.  I don't think it's that.

Note that the response mentioned older cables didn’t work properly. Your post indicates you used “multiple cables” but doesn’t address if they included any of the certified cables mentioned. So, until that’s clear or done, cables aren’t ruled out.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
CoolNerd
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra Issue

Hey guys, I have the exact same issue and thought it was the cables as well. Bought the Amazon ones and still not working.

The Roku Ultra worked perfectly with my old 1080p TV. But I just upgraded to a 4K TV and this happened. Not sure if the problem is with the TV or Roku as I only have 1 4K TV. Using a Philips TV.

Please help Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Re: Roku Ultra Issue

I guess we just need to be using, at least, HDMI 2.0...:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

If we're not, or we don't know - anything could happen...
If a 2.0 cable can be verified - and swapped out with another one just in case - then it must be something else.
Probably.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Ultra Issue

"CoolNerd" wrote:
Hey guys, I have the exact same issue and thought it was the cables as well. Bought the Amazon ones and still not working.

The Roku Ultra worked perfectly with my old 1080p TV. But I just upgraded to a 4K TV and this happened. Not sure if the problem is with the TV or Roku as I only have 1 4K TV. Using a Philips TV.

Please help Smiley Sad

A 4K connection requires high speed HDMI cables rated at 18 Gbps. Your older TV was fine with a lower speed cable, but moving to 4K requires the higher speed cable. It's best to get a certified cable, to ensure it actually passes 18 Gbps. You don't have to spend a lot for them. Don't think you need to spend $50 for a cable. Certified 18 Gbps cables are under $10 unless you need more than a 6' cable. Also make sure you check your TV settings and ensure UHD color (or some other designation) is enabled on the HDMI port you're using. My Samsung requires setting it for each port separately. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
CoolNerd
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra Issue

Thanks @atc98092 & @DubTaylor and sorry for the late response.
But I did buy the recommended cable from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-1-Pack/dp/B014I8SSD0/ref=sxin_2_pb?keyword...

Here's a gif file of the problem:
https://imgur.com/a/ljDwAk4[/url:3euimsxp]

It's working fine but when I switch off my TV and turn it ...
Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Ultra Issue

"CoolNerd" wrote:
Thanks @atc98092 & @DubTaylor and sorry for the late response.
But I did buy the recommended cable from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-1-Pack/dp/B014I8SSD0/ref=sxin_2_pb?keyword...

Here's a gif file of the problem:
https://imgur.com/a/ljDwAk4[/urlSmiley Tongue9jkq0pt]

It's working fine but when I switch off my TV and turn it ba...
Smiley Sad

Best guess on my part is a bad HDMI port, either on the TV or the Roku. If you have a different port available on the TV I suggest trying that first. If it still does it I would contact Roku and try to get a replacement since it's new. Unless you are still within the exchange timeframe of the store where you bought the Ultra.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Evolved
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra Issue

"CoolNerd" wrote:
Thanks @atc98092 & @DubTaylor and sorry for the late response.
But I did buy the recommended cable from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-1-Pack/dp/B014I8SSD0/ref=sxin_2_pb?keyword...

Here's a gif file of the problem:
https://imgur.com/a/ljDwAk4[/url:473ch3jk]

It's working fine but when I switch off my TV and turn it ...
Smiley Sad

I'm having this EXACT same issue.  Did you ever get it resolved?  What was the solution?
0 Kudos