Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LeonardR
Level 7

Roku Ultra HDR incompatibility with LG OLED

I'm very frustrated with my Roku 4640R  Lot: 201608 Software 7.5.1  Build 4111  and my OLED65B6P with current software.   The Roku is connected to the internet via high speed Ethernet and I have tried several certified HDMI 2.2 HDR cables.  For the purposes of testing I direct connect the cable from the Roku to the LG.[/font]

Until February of this year I was enjoying HDR without problems.  Then when Software 7.5 was rolled out to my Roku I could no longer put the Roku Display setting into UHD HDR mode.  It will only go up to UHD without HDR. 

The big frustration is that I have spent hours troubleshooting with Roku customer support.  The people I speak with at Roku do not seem well versed, or technically savvy,  on the device.  In the end they ask me to try another TV in the house and I only have one HDR TV.  So, finally I went to a friend's home, who also has an LG OLED HDR, with my Roku and had the same problem at his house direct connecting my Roku to his TV.   Roku is offering no help, nor even recognition, of the problem.   I'm very disappointed.  
0 Kudos
13 Replies
LeonardR
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra HDR incompatibility with LG OLED

Just received the Nvidia Shield.  Same setup as my Roku.  No problem streaming Netflix or Amazon Ultra HDR to my LG OLED.  No connectivity issues.  I can tell it's HDR mode by the logo that appears in the upper right corner of the LG OLED when the program starts.  So much for Roku support telling me it's my TV and not their box. 
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

"LeonardR" wrote:
Just received the Nvidia Shield.  Same setup as my Roku.  No problem streaming Netflix or Amazon Ultra HDR to my LG OLED.  No connectivity issues.  I can tell it's HDR mode by the logo that appears in the upper right corner of the LG OLED when the program starts.  So much for Roku support telling me it's my TV and not their box. 

Side issue, but curious - you say you can tell HDR by the logo. The question is, can you tell HDR by any qualitative difference in the picture quality from standard non-HDR 4K to HDR 4K?
0 Kudos
mikeytg
Level 7

Keep in mind that the LG OLED TVs support both HDR Formats - HDR-10 and Dolby vision, while the Roku only supports HDR-10.  So there will be some HDR sources that won't work through the Roku. I am not sure but I think I've seen both HDR formats on Netflix. A different logo appears briefly on screen when HDR content starts. You can use the native Netflix app on the TV to see the other format.
0 Kudos
LeonardR
Level 7

The specific problem I am having regarding HDR is that when I go to the Roku Display Menu and change the setting to 4K Ultra HDR the screen goes black and about 10 seconds later I get the notice that I didn't accept that setting so it reverts back to 4k Ultra (not HDR) only.  What this means is it didn't display the accept for that mode so it reverts back to prevent an inability to see anything. If the Roku had a proper HDR handshake with the LG I would have been able to accept that display mode.  So, it's not a Netflix or Amazon thing but the Roku not going into HDR mode with the LG.

Now to answer your question.  Absolutely,  I actually sat last evening looking at some scenes from "Good Girls Revolt" on Amazon Prime at the stunning images.  The depth and nuances of color are stunning.  I have already seen that show so I was just looking technically at the images and they are amazing.   I have made several feature films,  had a 35 MM screening room in my home and can tell that 4K Ultra with HDR invoked and the LG OLED blows everything else away.    
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

<duplicate post>
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
"LeonardR" wrote:
The specific problem I am having regarding HDR is that when I go to the Roku Display Menu and change the setting to 4K Ultra HDR the screen goes black and about 10 seconds later I get the notice that I didn't accept that setting so it reverts back to 4k Ultra (not HDR) only.  What this means is it didn't display the accept for that mode so it reverts back to prevent an inability to see anything. If the Roku had a proper HDR handshake with the LG I would have been able to accept that display mode.  So, it's not a Netflix or Amazon thing but the Roku not going into HDR mode with the LG.

Now to answer your question.  Absolutely,  I actually sat last evening looking at some scenes from "Good Girls Revolt" on Amazon Prime at the stunning images.  The depth and nuances of color are stunning.  I have already seen that show so I was just looking technically at the images and they are amazing.   I have made several feature films,  had a 35 MM screening room in my home and can tell that 4K Ultra with HDR invoked and the LG OLED blows everything else away.    

I have a low-end LG 4K HDR model and didn't have the experience you're talking about.  However, I haven't tested it with the lastest firmware upgrade, as I was getting the HDCP sporadic popups and audio hiccups when in HDR mode, so I have it set for just regular 4K. 

I DID have to set my LG to 10-bit color space via the "secret" Roku menu. Have you tried the "secret" Roku menu that sets it for 4.2.0 color space instead of 4:2:2? 4:2:2 is 12-bit, and 4:2:0 is 10-bit. My LG wouldn't work at all in HDR mode when set for 4:2:2.  

Here's how:  Secret menu option to turn on 4:2:0 10 bit or 4:2:2 12 bit for HDR- 

HOME HOME HOME HOME HOME DOWN LEFT UP UP UP  then just press the select button to change the option.  

My Roku Premiere+ defaulted to 4:2:2, so I had to use the Roku menu remote sequence above to set it back to 4:2:0.  Give it a shot.
0 Kudos
timalan63
Level 7

i been on phone 2 days with them cos of not able to activate my Roku Ultra, i get this The website experienced an unexpected problem

There was an unexpected error in the website. The current page will not load. Close and re-open your browser, navigate back to the website, and try repeating your last actions. If the problem persists, please contact our support team. 
If reporting this error please reference the following url: https://my.roku.com/activation

then they have me clear out my cookies and histroy in my browsers and try different Browsers and try an ipad and laptop or cell phones then tell me to wait 6 hours then try putting code in again then it should work, well i did and guess what it didn't i had several friends try it on there ipads still same errors they told me oh well the problem is on our end, then i talk to them again we try stuff again same thing this time he says well i will send it to the upper tech support, i thought they already did that, it seems i am getting a run around. they said they call or send an email i hear nothing and no email..
i even flushed out my dns and tried it again i rebooted and tried it again no matter what it still doesn't work..
PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP!!!!!
I Know this is about Roku Ultra HDR incompatibility with LG OLED i was just saying i know what he is saying it seems they have people trying to help but they aren't that too technical savvy when it comes to technical issues.[/font][/size]
are we going to get any satisfaction like the rolling stones, sorry i thought i throw some humor in there ARF! ARF! :-)[/font][/size]
Good Luck i hope you get your HDR fixed :-)[/font][/size]

timalan[/font][/size]
0 Kudos

Have you set the B6 HDMI ports to HDR mode? That requires a TV reboot and is necessary to accept wider color spaces. The Shield TV will auto detect and change it's own space output accordingly where it sounds like the Roku doesn't.
0 Kudos
LeonardR
Level 7

Heyitsrick,

That did it! Why did Roku put me thru so much and not tell me about the 4:2:0 and how to do it.!! I guess when the update was pushed down it somehow put the Roku into 4:2:2 Thank you so much.

I am getting a green striped screen for a moment when an HDR program is loading before the HDR logo appears and the show starts, which is not happening on the Nvidia, but it does work thereafter. Thank you again.
0 Kudos