Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wacko
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra HDMI Audio Drops and HDCP unauthorized

Found a solution that has eliminated the intermittent sound cut-out (ok so far with a few hours of watching across different channels), and that is to set the HDR to chroma subsampling of 4:2:0 instead of the default 4:2:2 (not to be confused with color bit depth) in the HDMI secret screen (Home x5, Down, Left, Up x3).  Visually 4:2:0 chroma subsampling should not be visibly worse than 4:2:2 for video content, and I think the reason why the cut-outs are happening in 4:2:2 is because that is pushing the limits of the HDMI cable bandwidth, and with occasional interference or spikes in actual bandwidth, you experience the sound cut-out or even a brief purple HDCP handshake error screen.
0 Kudos
Reed97123
Level 7

"wacko" wrote:
Found a solution that has eliminated the intermittent sound cut-out (ok so far with a few hours of watching across different channels), and that is to set the HDR to chroma subsampling of 4:2:0 instead of the default 4:2:2 (not to be confused with color bit depth) in the HDMI secret screen (Home x5, Down, Left, Up x3).  Visually 4:2:0 chroma subsampling should not be visibly worse than 4:2:2 for video content, and I think the reason why the cut-outs are happening in 4:2:2 is because that is pushing the limits of the HDMI cable bandwidth, and with occasional interference or spikes in actual bandwidth, you experience the sound cut-out or even a brief purple HDCP handshake error screen.

I tried this, but it did not work for me.
I did notice that I do not have drop-outs with Netflix, but I do have drop-outs with Plex.  I don't know if that would help narrow the root-cause search, but I thought it worth mentioning.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

After the 7.7 update last night I had to do the opposite and set my Roku to 4:2:2 or I would get video and audio drop outs along with a jagged mess of letters when they were on screen. 
Usually I set it to 4:2:0 but I could set it either way and still be fine. An update in the past did this same thing causing me issues and setting it to 4:2:2 solved it. Not sure what they keep changing in the updates to cause this.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

Never mind. setting it to 4:2:2 didn't really solve it. I get screen flashes with it as well.
Temporary solution is to unplug HDMI cable for a minute or so then plug it back in. As soon as I turn off the system or switch the receiver to another input to watch something else it usually comes right back with the flashing screen.
I downgraded the firmware back to 7.6 and it's working fine right now. Dreading it updating to 7.7 again or I'll be back to unplugging and plugging in the HDMI cable every time I want to watch the Roku.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Bug report filed for 7.7 Ultra display issues, please follow this up in a new thread that says 7.7 in the title. Audio drops are fixed in 7.7
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

I did post a follow up in a thread titled 7.7 but then you asked me to limit posting follow ups in it.  Smiley LOL
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

I meant limit posting follow ups in this thread here. This is an old thread and not specific to 7.7
thanks
0 Kudos
Reed97123
Level 7

After updating to 7.7, I don't see audio drops anymore.
0 Kudos

7.7 has not fixed this audio issue. I am still having it and I verified I'm on 7.7.
0 Kudos
pmele
Level 7

I have the same issue.  Roku 4.  Software updated yesterday to Version 8 and still happens.  Been trying to fix for a while now.  Even tried different HDMI cables and ports.  Happens with Plex and Netflix.  Can't this be fixed?
0 Kudos