Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku Ultra HDMI Audio Drops and HDCP unauthorized

"Alvan602" wrote:
This may be irrelevant, but I have noticed that my Ultra HDMI cable does NOT go all the way into the socket. I realized this after trying about 5 different cable brands and inserting/reinserting the cable.  It stops at about 3.5 mm or 3/16 inch. 

Out of all my devices the Roku is the only one that is not inserting properly.    Could that affect the connection quality/handshake?

I'm on my 2nd ULTRA hardware box -  and a Samsung KS8000 series 4kTV.

I just checked my Ultra, and my cable also does not appear 100% inserted. Is that a problem? hard to say. If the socket that is in the Roku is a fraction shorter than normal, this would cause it to appear as ours do. But I doubt that tiny difference is altering the electrical connection. Most electrical plugs and sockets have far more connection overlap than this. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Alvan602
Level 7

I was thinking along the lines of interference vs. poor connection, but it was just a hunch.
I am going to return my unit to Amazon and exchange it 

Since some people have reported hardware swaps fix the problem,  I will see if the new unit is physically different.
0 Kudos
BasiliskJack
Level 7

I just got a new 2017 Sony XBR X900E 4k HDR screen. My Roku Ultra is updated to whatever the latest software is as of today, and it is connected to wired 150mb Ethernet. Top of the line HDMI cables, and a Sony STR-DH750 receiver.

I get the purple HDCP error at the start of almost every show, whether it's on Netflix or YouTube or whatever. It only lasts a second, then disappears.

I also get random sound drops. Very quick 1/2 second drops, randomly, about every 5 or 10 minutes. It really sucks, since whenever it happens we usually have to stop and rewind because we miss a word or two being spoken.

Looking for a solution, found this thread, felt like I needed to add my voice.
0 Kudos
allgar
Level 7

"BasiliskJack" wrote:
I just got a new 2017 Sony XBR X900E 4k HDR screen. My Roku Ultra is updated to whatever the latest software is as of today, and it is connected to wired 150mb Ethernet. Top of the line HDMI cables, and a Sony STR-DH750 receiver.

I get the purple HDCP error at the start of almost every show, whether it's on Netflix or YouTube or whatever. It only lasts a second, then disappears.

I also get random sound drops. Very quick 1/2 second drops, randomly, about every 5 or 10 minutes. It really sucks, since whenever it happens we usually have to stop and rewind because we miss a word or two being spoken.

Looking for a solution, found this thread, felt like I needed to add my voice.

Same thing! I get nearly the exact problems. My set up is different components Samsung KS8000 tv and Yamaha RX-V581 receiver, but my cables are great. The intermittent blip audio drops are just so annoying. 
Is there a fix?
0 Kudos
bjb1959
Level 7

I had the same issue. if I streamed Netflix or Amazon Prime or Plex using my Roku I would have periodic drops in audio for a second or two about 10 times per movie/tv show. I also noticed that it did not happen if I used Chromecast through my phone on the same applications. So Chromecast worked fine but Roku did not. After a ton of research on the web and forums and trying all the different settings and suggestions (Roku was suggesting it was either my Vizio 70" 4K tv or my Samsung soundbar surround sound system causing the problem)  with no luck I determined that the cause of the issue was most likely a conflict between my Roku's audio processor and the audio processor of my Samsung soundbar. Both of them will take the stream, process/decode the Dolby D and send it through the HDMI cable. I am guessing that the processes were conflicting with each other since they were both trying to do the same thing and that it was causing the glitches in sound. Roku, unfortunately, has no way to disable the Processing without shutting off Dolby completely by using PCM which defeats the purpose of having surround sound. I finally had to purchase an Amazon Fire TV (not the stick because I wanted 4K and the Fire TV supports 4K) which has the ability to turn off the Dolby processing and let the HDMI handle the stream. This fixed my issues and I have not had the problem since. Roku should consider adding this functionality through a firmware update. My Roku is now on my bedroom tv since I have no surround need on it and my Amazon Fire TV has taken it's place in the main media room.
0 Kudos
Bennabus
Level 7

I've not yet tried to run my Roku Premier+ 4K but I get the audio drops on Amazon and Netflix quite often. I had Amazon replace my Premier+ 3 times and it still does the same thing. I'm using Audioquest Forest HDMIs from my Roku to my Onkyo TXNR5008 and from there to my old Toshiba panel. Speed isn't an issue nor is cable quality, I've tried 4-5 different cables to the same effect. It's a problem with the player.
0 Kudos
Jon25
Level 7

RESOLUTION: New HDMI cable.

I had the same problem with different equipment. (Epson projector, Onkyo receiver.) I installed a different and shorter HDMI cable and the problem disappeared.
0 Kudos
Reed97123
Level 7

Any update from Roku?  This has been going on for nearly half a year now.
0 Kudos
jbounds
Level 7

I take it there's still nothing from Roku about this? Upgraded a 3 to a Premiere+ - the 3 worked just fine with the exact same setup but the plus has continuous audio drops and it's enough to make me throw the plus in the trash and put the 3 back. Very unsatisfied customer.
0 Kudos
iaincaradoc
Level 7

"jbounds" wrote:
I take it there's still nothing from Roku about this? Upgraded a 3 to a Premiere+ - the 3 worked just fine with the exact same setup but the plus has continuous audio drops and it's enough to make me throw the plus in the trash and put the 3 back. Very unsatisfied customer.

Same issue here. From a 3 to a Premiere+, and wondering why I bothered.
0 Kudos