Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebo1ss
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra HDMI Audio Drops and HDCP unauthorized

"rockou" wrote:
The Yamaha RX-V381 has been great. Make sure you read the manual and go into the Advanced Setup menu and set 4k to mode 1, it defaults to mode 2 and caused issues with my Roku Ultra.
The Yamaha manual also states to make sure you have HDMI cables capable of 18Gbps if using mode 1. If you need some the Amazon basic cables here are what I use and are cheap but work great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I ... UTF8&psc=1
They went up in price it looks like, $11.98 for a 2 pack of 6 ft. I paid $6.65 for a 2 pack of 6 ft cables. Still a good deal but the 3 pack can be had for $9.99.

Those cables are not going to meet the 18Gig HDMI spec. They may appear to work but it is quite possible that users will encounter problems with HDMI handshakes, Green screens etc. particularly when using HDR. They are described as BASIC for a reason. HDMI 18 G certified cables should always be used with 4K and HDR.
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiu ... ogram.aspx

If it does not have the certification don't buy it.

0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

"Nebo1ss" wrote:
"rockou" wrote:
The Yamaha RX-V381 has been great. Make sure you read the manual and go into the Advanced Setup menu and set 4k to mode 1, it defaults to mode 2 and caused issues with my Roku Ultra.
The Yamaha manual also states to make sure you have HDMI cables capable of 18Gbps if using mode 1. If you need some the Amazon basic cables here are what I use and are cheap but work great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I ... UTF8&psc=1
They went up in price it looks like, $11.98 for a 2 pack of 6 ft. I paid $6.65 for a 2 pack of 6 ft cables. Still a good deal but the 3 pack can be had for $9.99.

Those cables are not going to meet the 18Gig HDMI spec. They may appear to work but it is quite possible that users will encounter problems with HDMI handshakes, Green screens etc. particularly when using HDR. They are described as BASIC for a reason. HDMI 18 G certified cables should always be used with 4K and HDR.
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiu ... ogram.aspx

If it does not have the certification don't buy it.

They are actually described as meeting the 18gbps bandwidth specification:

• Meets the latest HDMI standards (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth) that supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I bought the Amazon Basics two pack of 3' cables, and all my connection problems went away. So yes, they work just fine with the Ultra. But I had to replace both the Roku cable and the cable from my Yamaha to the TV. The funny thing is the cables I was using worked just fine with my Roku 4 set on 2K 10-Bit. But the Ultra wouldn't even allow setting 4K. So I always tell people that it might not matter if they were working with another device. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

Like myself, Heyitsrick and atc98092 have said, the Amazon Basic cables I linked to will work just fine for 4k HDR and are described as being 18Gbps cables.
They work fine on my set up.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
Reed97123
Level 7

I'm getting audio dropping out for a fraction of a second and the Yamaha receiver display flickers like it lost the stream.  It always comes back and the audio is only gone for about 1/5 of a second.  Is this similar to what other people are seeing?

This has been happening for over a month, it's hard to know exactly when it started.
0 Kudos
zolotoiy
Level 8

Exactly same behavior on my RXA740. Dropouts started with 7.5.1 update, 7.2.2 was fine
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

FWIW I mostly use old 1ft / 1.5ft / 2ft ultrathin HDMI cables from my inventory, don't even recall if they were labelled 18Gbps.  But luckily no complaints from family members so far even at 4K HDR (4:2:2)...
0 Kudos
Reed97123
Level 7

Has this topic received the attention of any Roku employees?  If so is there any word on whether this has been reproduced internally and expected timeline to fix?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Yes, Roku is aware and working on a fix. But many times the issue has been cables, not the player. That is the reason cable quality comes up so often.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Alvan602
Level 7

This may be irrelevant, but I have noticed that my Ultra HDMI cable does NOT go all the way into the socket. I realized this after trying about 5 different cable brands and inserting/reinserting the cable.  It stops at about 3.5 mm or 3/16 inch. 

Out of all my devices the Roku is the only one that is not inserting properly.    Could that affect the connection quality/handshake?

I'm on my 2nd ULTRA hardware box -  and a Samsung KS8000 series 4kTV.
0 Kudos