Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMM1
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra HDMI Audio Drops and HDCP unauthorized

"rockou" wrote:
The Yamaha RX-V381 has been great. Make sure you read the manual and go into the Advanced Setup menu and set 4k to mode 1, it defaults to mode 2 and caused issues with my Roku Ultra.
The Yamaha manual also states to make sure you have HDMI cables capable of 18Gbps if using mode 1. If you need some the Amazon basic cables here are what I use and are cheap but work great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I ... UTF8&psc=1
They went up in price it looks like, $11.98 for a 2 pack of 6 ft. I paid $6.65 for a 2 pack of 6 ft cables. Still a good deal but the 3 pack can be had for $9.99.

I actually went to the advanced settings and set it to Mode 2 when I first set it up and had all kinds of problems. I had read on the Amazon reviews that Mode 2 was better. I quickly reset it to factory settings and did the setup again. My audio problems have stopped and it sounds great. I'm happy with the Roku Ultra and the Yamaha RX-381. If you find out any other secrets or tips about the Yamaha Receiver let me know.
I am using these cables from Amazon and they are working great. The Ultra is not giving any kind of HDCP error. https://www.amazon.com/Silverback-S6-4k ... well+cable

Edit: I wrote this before I found out everyone, included my Roku, was rolled back to 7.2.2
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"JMM1" wrote:
"rockou" wrote:
The Yamaha RX-V381 has been great. Make sure you read the manual and go into the Advanced Setup menu and set 4k to mode 1, it defaults to mode 2 and caused issues with my Roku Ultra.
The Yamaha manual also states to make sure you have HDMI cables capable of 18Gbps if using mode 1. If you need some the Amazon basic cables here are what I use and are cheap but work great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I ... UTF8&psc=1
They went up in price it looks like, $11.98 for a 2 pack of 6 ft. I paid $6.65 for a 2 pack of 6 ft cables. Still a good deal but the 3 pack can be had for $9.99.

I actually went to the advanced settings and set it to Mode 2 when I first set it up and had all kinds of problems. I had read on the Amazon reviews that Mode 2 was better. I quickly reset it to factory settings and did the setup again. My audio problems have stopped and it sounds great. I'm happy with the Roku Ultra and the Yamaha RX-381. If you find out any other secrets or tips about the Yamaha Receiver let me know.
I am using these cables from Amazon and they are working great. The Ultra is not giving any kind of HDCP error. https://www.amazon.com/Silverback-S6-4k ... well+cable

Edit: I wrote this before I found out everyone, included my Roku, was rolled back to 7.2.2

But if you leave your Yamaha on Mode 2 you will not get HDR passthrough. Mode 1 is required for that.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
rji2goleez
Level 7

I'm a new forum member and a new owner of a Roku Ultra (version 7.2.2 Build 7146-29 and a Samsung UN49KS8000F HDR 4K TV.  I keep reading about all these issues with the dreaded HDCP 2.2 unauthorized error.  I have my Roku connected to the HDMI 1 port on the Samsung Connect One box.  I was getting this same error and it seemed intermittent.  I tried other ports and it would work and then I would get the error again.  I changed cables and finally settled on a Monster cable rated to 27GBs (why leave it to chance).  Well, all seemed to work well.  However, if I switch to another Roku channel with 4K content or sometimes when I first turn it on and go to a channel, I get the HDCP unauthorized warning and purple screen again.

However, if I unplug the cable from the ROKU and then plug it back in, all works fine (that is until I switch to another streaming channel).  Clearly this is a handshake issue with Roku and I presume it has not been solved (by the number of people having this issue.)?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"rji2goleez" wrote:
I'm a new forum member and a new owner of a Roku Ultra (version 7.2.2 Build 7146-29 and a Samsung UN49KS8000F HDR 4K TV.  I keep reading about all these issues with the dreaded HDCP 2.2 unauthorized error.  I have my Roku connected to the HDMI 1 port on the Samsung Connect One box.  I was getting this same error and it seemed intermittent.  I tried other ports and it would work and then I would get the error again.  I changed cables and finally settled on a Monster cable rated to 27GBs (why leave it to chance).  Well, all seemed to work well.  However, if I switch to another Roku channel with 4K content or sometimes when I first turn it on and go to a channel, I get the HDCP unauthorized warning and purple screen again.

However, if I unplug the cable from the ROKU and then plug it back in, all works fine (that is until I switch to another streaming channel).  Clearly this is a handshake issue with Roku and I presume it has not been solved (by the number of people having this issue.)?

The 7.5.1 update resolves it, but because of several other issues they had to pull it back. We are hoping for a quick resolution and get 7.5.x back out to us soon.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 9

Actually the last couple of 7.5.1 minor updates were causing HDCP errors for some, including me. The very last minor update to 7.5.1 seemed to have resolved it for me but they yanked it.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
iklein
Level 7

Just bought a 4K TV and a Roku Premiere Plus, and... purple screen of death.

Very disappointed, I've been a fan of Roku for years.

THIS close to just returning it and using the smart TV functionality.

Hoping the new software comes soon.
0 Kudos
rji2goleez
Level 7

I know it's not ideal, but when I get the purple screen of death, if I unplug the HDMI cable and replug it in, I get a 4K signal.
0 Kudos
exotics4fun
Level 7

Anyone ever get a fix for this? I just did an RMA and still having audio dropouts and even the occasional blip of HDCP 2.2 compliance issue or some such thing. Basically has bricked my (now 2nd) Roku Ultra.
0 Kudos

My Premier+ suffered from the audio dropout issue with Amazon and Netflix. Every 30 to 60 minutes I would get a 1/2 second audio drop, I'm guessing from the HDCP renegotiation. It was annoying enough that I returned my Roku to Best Buy, which is disappointing given I liked everything else about it.

I was running it into a brand new Yamaha RX581. The issue only happened with the Roku; when I sourced 4K and audio via ARC from my Vizio, no audio issues whatsoever.

I might reconsider buying, but not until I see evidence that Roku has their software development act together.
0 Kudos
rji2goleez
Level 7

Switching to 4K without HDR solved my issues for now.  Yes, it's a workaround that doesn't allow me to take full advantage of my TV but I don't have to unplug and replug my Roku every time I start a show.
0 Kudos