Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goaliebob99
Level 7

Roku Ultra HDMI Audio Drops and HDCP unauthorized

Ever since I took today's software download I have been having HDMI audio dropouts like crazy, and I get this annoying HDCP unauthorized message that appears for a brief second.  

I tried power cycling everything, changing out HDMI high-speed cables, changing hdmi ports, ect.   Nothing works.  This started after the Roku updated its software today. 

I called customer support which is not very good and offshored.   I ended up cussing out the lady because they wanted me to do redundant troubleshooting that had already been done, and she was very rude.   I asked for American support which she refused to transfer me too.

I feel like this product is an alpha product and not ready for primetime at all.  

This is hooked up to my Samsung HU8550 with Evolution kit via my AVR Yamaha RX3050.   Everything supports HDCP 2.2 and I have no other problems with other HDCP 2.2 devices such as my XboxOneS, DirecTV C61K among other devices.  Everything is set to passthrough HDR and does just fine.   The only issue is the ROKU and lack of support.   

I also have noticed that Dolby Atmos isnt recognized all the time and some times the AVR will think its getting DD+ and not read the embedded atmos info. 
0 Kudos
60 Replies
NJRadioGuy
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra HDMI Audio Drops and HDCP unauthorized

Exactly the same problem here. And in addition, with the Roku set to 4k+HDR there is no video at all on Netflix. Completely unsatisfied.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

Same thing here, just started happening after 7.5.1 update. Before that I never got any short drop outs with the HDCP error message briefly flashing. I am getting video and audio in Netflix, just the short random drop outs of audio and sometimes video with that HDCP message then it returns only to happen 30 seconds or so later again.
I unplugged my Roku Ultra last night because it was so annoying then plugged it back in 30 seconds later and after that it didn't seem to do it anymore but I'll wait and see if that solved it or not which I doubt.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

My wife has been watching that new OA show on Netflix in 4k HDR all morning and it hasn't done it again although it was doing some weird thing where it wasn't playing in HDR. I had to set the Roku to 4k only and save it then set it back to 4k HDR and save it and that fixed it. Weird stuff going on ...
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
PartlyC
Level 7

Having the same issues.  Every 20 minutes or so during the video I was watching last night I had to stop and restart the movie.  It was an Amazon stream.  In one case (the first time), I had to restart the ROKU to get control back.  And yes, my cabling, etc. are fine. 

Is this a model-related thing?  I am using the external box..  Roku 3 I got in 2014.  It has never been a model of stability, but this is unacceptable.

If anyone finds answers, I'd appreciate knowing them. 
0 Kudos
mcavendi
Level 7

Same issue, support answer was to RMA the unit.  Going to Best Buy to swap out.
Tried one more thing - factory reset. So far success, sucky to log in to everything but so far no HDCP error.
LG B6
Marantz SR-5011
0 Kudos
uzerultra
Level 7

Looks like I have a similar problem, created this account for. I don't get an HDCP unauthorized message, but I do get audio drops. 95% of the time there is no audio at all now, and the other 5% it does weird things like increase and decrease in volume for a second. It happens for all apps, making the roku ultra useless. And I don't use 4k. 

It's not my tv, thankfully, so I guess I will watch cable until they fix all this! Roku Ultra was working perfectly before, for a few weeks. Shame.
0 Kudos
zolotoiy
Level 7

Same issue here with audio dropouts on my two P+ setups in 1080p, one with direct connection to TV in stereo mode and another through Yamaha AVR. I don't get HDCP errors though, just audio issues.
Is there a way to revert to 7.2? 7.5 hasn't fixed anything for me just added new issues.
0 Kudos
goaliebob99
Level 7

I wish there was a way to revert back to 7.2.   Had I of known that this was going to happen, I would have never took the upgrade errr downgrade in this case. 
0 Kudos
gloop05
Level 7

I'm having similar problems on my Roku Ultra (7.5.1, build 4075).

Sometimes I will pause it for a minute, and when I hit play the video starts again but with no audio.

Other times I will go to the next episode of a show on Netflix and the I'll get video but no audio.  Leaving Netflix and coming back into it fixes the problem, but that's really annoying.

I hoped 7.5 would fix these problems.  I might have to jump to Fire TV.
0 Kudos