Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amore1971
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - HDCP Unauthorized... AGAIN!

Hi
I tried all your solutions today still purple screen and sound. The only thing that usually works is to move every thing and unplug it, power, hdmi cables etc.,this is getting to be too much with 65 inch samsung 4K and other devices. My solution today was to install my apps showtime, starz, hulu, netflix, prime on the Apple TV we have, if this has no issues then I will start removing chanels from roku 4k and retire it. I have called roku, they were no help and I am sick of this. I have been a loyal roku customer for 6 years, we bough tv the 4k ultra to match the 4k TV in 2016.
0 Kudos
NewsView
Level 7

I own two ROKU 3s, which I upgraded to a ROKU Ultra and a ROKU Premiere along with a newly purchased 4K UHD/HDR TV.

In my case, the HDCP 2.2 warning appears every 3-5 minutes while trying to stream the Pluto (TV) NASA live feed, after which the stream becomes unusable (choppy/pixelated). I disconnected my HDMI-connected Blu-Ray player from the TV as part of the troubleshooting because I read that the HDCP 2.2 (4K copy protection) standard must be supported by all connected devices otherwise the "handshake" breaks and the content will not decode. That, however, wasn't the culprit in my situation (error persisted after disconnecting my only other HDMI-device, a Blu-Ray player). I then went back into my ROKU settings and bounced between "Auto" and the highest supported standard for my TV (60fps, 4:2.0 and 4:2:2). Restarting the ROKU with the new settings did not eliminate the HDCP warning, either.

I verified my HDMI port configurations on the TV, itself, to no avail. (FYI: For some people, use of the wrong HDMI port on the TV — since not all ports on all 4K TVs will allow for "full bandwidth" operations — can be the culprit in 4K streaming difficulty.) I also verified that I enabled HDR/Extended functionality within the TV settings for the specific port my ROKU resides on. Still I am seeing the HDCP warning!

I disconnected the ROKU entirely and instead installed Pluto on the TV itself. Upon tuning to the NASA live feed, no more error! This would seem to leave four possibilities: 1) The NASA live stream as delivered by Pluto's ROKU app is faulty. 2) Not all 4K TVs support HDCP 2.2 requirements across every HDMI port. 3) The ROKUs do not fully support HDCP 2.2 protocols. 4) 4K UHD/HDR HDMI cables, despite claims to support 18 Gbps @ 60hz, may not be HDCP 2.2 compatible.

Q: Any thoughts on whether or not the problem can be resolved with a particular HDMI cable?

Q: Does anybody here know if this issue is duplicated on Apple 4K TVs or Fire? (With or without Pluto/NASA app/channel in the mix?)

I am willing to return my newly-purchased ROKUs in favor of a competing product if that's what it will take. The question is whether or not it sounds like it's time to jump ship on ROKU — or if there are any troubleshooting steps I've missed.

UPDATE:

Sorry about the length of this post. I am updating this solely in the hope that others can find solutions for their ROKU-HDCP 2.2. headaches.

So here's what happened: Upon further investigation it looks like the ROKU Ultra and Premiere output over a 2.0a HDMI port. The HDMI ports on some 4K TVs, even if they are HDCP 2.2 compliant, may be limited to HDMI 2.0 ports. (That is, unless there is a firmware update to bring them up to 2.0a, which is better for HDR purposes.) Anything with the added HDCP 2.2. copy-protection requirement is presumably *also* subjected to the variation between the ROKU 2.0a output vs. a 4K TVs 2.0 HDMI port, which might be enough to "break" the handshake (speculating here).

Interestingly, ROKU is not particularly transparent on this issue given that their Help pages "What do I need to stream 4K Ultra HD content?" and "Why is HDCP 2.2 important to playing 4K Ultra HD or HDR content?" make no mention of HDMI 2.0a vs. 2.0 or how they may impact the user's capacity to enjoy true/native 4K HDR content, particularly in the event it carries a HDCP 2.2 requirement. (For that information, I read this: "Ultimate Guide to 4K TV and Device Connectivity: HDMI 1.4, HDMI 2.0 Cables, HEVC, HDCP, and VP9".)

There is a learning curve due to differing HDMI port behaviors/protocols on various generations of 4K HDTV vs. as opposed to whatever HDMI standard the connected streaming device may offer. All the while, manufacturers are gearing up for 8K+ before 4K has even run its course. Where HDTV 4K+ is concerned and Smart TVs in general, it's the Wild West. Even one improper hookup or miss-configuration and consumers will never see anything but 1080p or 4K up-converted resolution as opposed to a native 4K HDR experience.

Since the HDMI cable itself can also present problems — even premium 4K cables — one possible solution is to buy even faster 8K-ready HDMI cables. If that doesn't clear the HDCP errors, then it's possible the assumption that 2018 and earlier 4K HDTVs equipped with HDMI 2.0 ports have been updated to HDMI version 2.0a or newer via firmware are incorrect. When cabling compatibility and 4K configuration issues are ruled out, nothing else remains to explain the recurrence of HDCP errors — except that 2.0a HDMI output on current ROKUs isn't fully compatible with the 4K UHD/HDR TVs that are (still) being sold.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Most often (not always, but often) the HDCP error is traced to an HDMI cable that isn't good enough. For 4K HDR you must have a 18 Gbps certified cable. It doesn't have to be expensive. I bought two Amazon Basics cables, 3' in length, for less than $10. Even much longer lengths can be found from under $25. However, you can run into issues if you are trying a really long cable run, such as 25' or longer. 
When I moved from a Roku 4 to an Ultra, I immediately began having HDCP and/or signal lock issues. The cable I had worked fine with 4K on the Roku 4, but failed completed with the Ultra. The above mentioned Amazon cables eliminated the problem. Again, I'm not guaranteeing that will fix it, but it's a absolute troubleshooting step to try. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
NewsView
Level 7

Thanks, Dan. Initially I did pick up new cables for my new 4K HDTV and ROKU, which is why I was surprised to encounter HDCP problems. I first tried Member's Mark (Sam's Club) Ultra HD cables rated to 18 Gbps. They say "HDMI certified" (also claims to work with HDR, 3D and "Deep Color"). After seeing the error reproduced on two different TV sets with the ROKU connected, I then tried 4K Ultra HD/HDR "Premium Certified" cables by (blackweb brand) only to encounter the same issue. After that, it occurred to me that manufacturer specs I read for my 4K TV indicate the HDMI ports, while HDCP 2.2 compliant, are HDMI 2.0. In contrast, the ROKU Ultra and Premiere specs indicate HDMI 2.0a. So I figured my 4K TV — 2017 model still being sold in 2019! — are not making use of the same 2.0a standard, which could be throwing in an extra variable to trip up the handshake. (Not sure but a guess on my part.) The thing is, when I Google the TV model, online discussions/reviews seem to believe that HDMI 2.0a is indeed present (not sure if that was by a firmware update. All I know is that I have been unable to verify the assumption using the manufacturer's documentation.)

After a lot of reading on the forum here and elsewhere, I began searching the Amazon reviews to find that some of the cable brands, despite advertising 18 Gbps, are not interacting well for ROKU users. So my cables may still be the culprit even though both sets claim to be "certified". I will try another set of certified cables — maybe even 8K-rated ones — as a last ditch effort.
0 Kudos
overtimeman
Level 8

I also have the Ultra connected with Monoprice's top of the line 4K(4 feet) certified cables running to a Sony XBR65X850.About once a month I get the error and going into the settings to restart my Ultra makes it go away.When I click on Netflix is when it shows itself.
I used to have a life before Roku!
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 9

I see this issue once in a long time. Switched to the belkin hdmi 2.1 cables (they are expensive and short at $30 but have 48gbps vs 18 available) and have not seen it yet.
0 Kudos
NewsView
Level 7

Since my 4K TV is new (Sony X800E) and the ROKUs are new, I have continued to troubleshoot since my last post. After all, it would be a complete waste of money to upgrade to 4K TV if I am unable to enjoy the benefit of anything that is 4K copy protected.

As an alternative to the Member's Mark and blackweb cables I first tried, I most recently tried the ROKU-supplied cable for the Premiere. I disconnected all other HDMI-connected devices from the TV. Again, the HDCP 2.2 warning continued to show up every 3-5 minutes (not impossible to watch but annoying just the same).

As an additional step, I put the ROKU Premiere on a secondary set (LG) using the ROKU-supplied cable and again the error occurred. (The only difference being that instead of taking only 3-5 minutes, it took about 30 minutes to pop up and seem to be triggered by the channel buffering.)

I went one step further and decided to take the HDMI cabling entirely out of the mix. I bought a ROKU Stick+ to replace the Ultra, which I returned. Again I removed all other HDMI-connected devices. With the ROKU Stick+ attached directly I no longer see the HDCP warning screen while viewing the NASA channel carried on Pluto.

Right now I am debating whether to give one more HDMI Premium Certified Cable a try in conjunction with the Premiere — Monster brand since that's what's available today from Best Buy. My other option is to throw in the towel on cabled HDMI-connected streaming devices.

In my case, use of my TV's inbuilt Smart features isn't an option because my streaming solution of choice — DirecTVNow — isn't an available app. As a result of the difficulty trying to upgrade both my TV and ROKU to 4K, I find myself wishing that more "dumb TVs" were on the market. It would be soooo much easier if TVs were just TVs again and the "Smart" aspects were something consumers expected to add on externally just like the days of hooking up a VHS or DVD player (i.e. no more "Wild West" in the TV market). In conclusion, I wouldn't be surprised if these HDCP "bugs" are in place to encourage people to dump their external ROKUs, Apple TVs and whatnot in favor of TV manufacturer Smart features. If true, my suggestion to anyone adding to this or similar discussion elsewhere to document not only the device connected when the HDCP error occurs but the TV model involved. Perhaps some of us are using faulty HDMI cables or defective ROKUs. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this is normal behavior for some Smart TVs. If true, TV manufacturers need to be held accountable for implementing their HDMI hardware/firmware in such a way that owners are under pressure, by default, to rely on the manufacturer's built-in Smart features rather than a streaming solution of their own choosing over an HDMI connection.
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 9

I've seen this for awhile now (since OS9 release) and it typically occurs when a commercial comes on with LiveTV (PLEX, MPEG2 direct, Hauppauge Quad PCI tuners).  Commercials typically can change from 5.1 program audio to stereo and other things so I've been attributing it to such changes without doing any investigation since it almost always resolves itself.  If not, a channel change will fix it.

Don't know if this gives the ROKU folks any extra info or not.

BTW, my daily driver connection ...  4660 -> Yamaha 7850 -> Vizio M651d-A2

I've seen it on a couple of my other setups as well.
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos