Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
berting
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra - HDCP Unauthorized... AGAIN!

"JMM1" wrote:
I had similar issues and bought these cables and they work great. https://www.amazon.com/Silverback-S6-4k ... well+cable

I had these cables that also say they are made for 4K but I found out they do not handle HDCP 2.2 which the Ultra and my TV seem to require. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Because everyone keeps talking about cables, I bought 2 more to try. I bought the Sewell cable you recommended, and a 3-foot Mediabridge Ultra (91-02X-03B) cable that claims HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2.2, 18GHz, etc.
So comparing the behaviors of my Amazon Basics 18GHz cable with the two new ones, they all exhibit exactly the same behaviors with regard to the "HDCP Unauthorised" purple screen. Not even a timing difference with regard to how long the great-purple-beast remains displayed. I suspect that all three cables are working as advertised...
I will say that qualitatively the 4k picture looks slightly more crisp when I'm using the Mediabridge Ultra cable, but that's probably because it's only 3 feet long. (The others are 6-foot cables)
But I'm afraid that I'm not seeing any meaningful difference between the various cable behaviors.
0 Kudos
KenSoren
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - HDCP Unauthorized... AGAIN!

I bought our Ultra yesterday and it installed just fine. It is a Ultra 4640X and installed software version 7.2.2 build 7146.
I signed into our Roku account to set it up then, Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, You tube and Vudu. Those are the main channels we use. 
Now our Amazon, Vudu and HBO Go channels get the HDCP error.
Since the Roku sets up and tests for 4K HDR with our new Samsung 65 inch KS8000 series set, and the Netflix program shows 4K video really well, I think it is safe to say that the software for Amazon, Vudu and HBOGo has the problem, not my set or the cables I am using.  
So sounds like it is a Roku problem. This is my 5th Roku and the first I have had a problem with and I am VERY disappointed. Got this brand new 4k TV set and bought the latest Roku to enjoy some 4k video and now I only have Netflix that actually works. Did you Roku guys BETA test this?
Can someone from Roku tell us when can we expect a fix for this?  I bought it from Amazon so I do have the option to send it back but would rather have it work and keep it. 
Ken S
Roku Ultra, Roku 3, Roku 2 and Roku 1
Samsung 65 inch SUHD KS8000 using Samsung smart hub for all connections.
0 Kudos
rji2goleez
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - HDCP Unauthorized... AGAIN!

"KenSoren" wrote:
I bought our Ultra yesterday and it installed just fine. It is a Ultra 4640X and installed software version 7.2.2 build 7146.
I signed into our Roku account to set it up then, Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, You tube and Vudu. Those are the main channels we use. 
Now our Amazon, Vudu and HBO Go channels get the HDCP error.
Since the Roku sets up and tests for 4K HDR with our new Samsung 65 inch KS8000 series set, and the Netflix program shows 4K video really well, I think it is safe to say that the software for Amazon, Vudu and HBOGo has the problem, not my set or the cables I am using.  
So sounds like it is a Roku problem. This is my 5th Roku and the first I have had a problem with and I am VERY disappointed. Got this brand new 4k TV set and bought the latest Roku to enjoy some 4k video and now I only have Netflix that actually works. Did you Roku guys BETA test this?
Can someone from Roku tell us when can we expect a fix for this?  I bought it from Amazon so I do have the option to send it back but would rather have it work and keep it. 

I'm in the exact same boat as you.  I also have a brand new KS8000 series set and I get the same result with the same channels.  Note however, that when on Amazon or Vudu, when I get the purple screen of death, I go to the Roku, unplulg then replug the HDMI cable and it now works in 4K for that show/episode.  Of course, the annoying thing is that I have to do this for each episode! 
I called Roku and after telling the front line tech that I've tried all the HDMI ports, tried all sorts of high end cables, even reversed the cables, made sure I had the latest Roku update, etc, etc, they said a tech would call me back in a day.  Well, it's been three days and . . . you guessed it, nothing.
COME ON ROKU!  WE KNOW YOU'RE LISTENING HERE.  AT LEAST BE TRANSPARENT AND TELL US SOMETHING SPECIFIC!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku Ultra - HDCP Unauthorized... AGAIN!

It's a known issues that was resolved with firmware 7.5. However, there were other serious bugs in that firmware and the had to recall it and bounce us back to 7.2. Hopefully they will resolve the other issues and get 7.5 back out.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
berting
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra - HDCP Unauthorized... AGAIN!

Just in case any Roku lurkers are paying attention I might have another clue regarding what's going on... This is still regarding my LG65UF8500 directly connected television and my Roku Ultra currently running the V7.2.2 firmware.

I have an OTA television to streaming DVR box (A Tablo) on my network. When I watch "live television" I have it set to send a 720P video stream to the Roku using the Tablo Roku App.

If I leave the Tablo App running while watching a live television stream when I turn off the TV, when I turn the television back on I get the "Purple Screen of HDCP Unauthorized". But because the video was already playing, the purple screen does not clear and stays unauthorized forever.  I must return to the Roku home-screen and then re-launch the Tablo App, then I see the purple screen for about 2 seconds before it clears.

This has been behavior that I've seen a few times before, but only just now tried to reproduce. This is 100% reproducible on my system.

Updated... It's not only the Tablo stream that does this. If I turn off my television with any streaming source playing back any video at any resolution, when I turn the television back on I see the purple screen until I exit the video stream and then re-enter it. (And the only navigation that works from the purple screen is the "home" button.)
0 Kudos
spanglmd
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - HDCP Unauthorized... AGAIN!

HDCP errors for me seem to be exclusively related to using the Ultra in 4K HDR mode. Once I step the display setting back down to 4K only, I was able to play hours of 4K content without a single purple screen.
0 Kudos
rji2goleez
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - HDCP Unauthorized... AGAIN!

"spanglmd" wrote:
HDCP errors for me seem to be exclusively related to using the Ultra in 4K HDR mode. Once I step the display setting back down to 4K only, I was able to play hours of 4K content without a single purple screen.

You're right!  I notice the same thing.  Putting the Rocky in 4K only mode, I no longer seem to get the purple screen of death!  Thank you!
0 Kudos
KenSoren
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - HDCP Unauthorized... AGAIN!

"rji2goleez" wrote:
"spanglmd" wrote:
HDCP errors for me seem to be exclusively related to using the Ultra in 4K HDR mode. Once I step the display setting back down to 4K only, I was able to play hours of 4K content without a single purple screen.

You're right!  I notice the same thing.  Putting the Rocky in 4K only mode, I no longer seem to get the purple screen of death!  Thank you!

Same here - made the change to 4K with no HDR and everything works now. Thanks for the tip! But Roku should continue to solve the problem of not working with HDR since right on the box it states 4K Ultra HD and HDR. There is a statement on the side of the box that HDR will be available "after software release" so I hope this software release comes soon. 
Otherwise, I am happy with my new Roku now!
Ken S
Roku Ultra, Roku 3, Roku 2 and Roku 1
Samsung 65 inch SUHD KS8000 using Samsung smart hub for all connections.
0 Kudos
TrendyGuy
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - HDCP Unauthorized... AGAIN!

"KenSoren" wrote:
"rji2goleez" wrote:
"spanglmd" wrote:
HDCP errors for me seem to be exclusively related to using the Ultra in 4K HDR mode. Once I step the display setting back down to 4K only, I was able to play hours of 4K content without a single purple screen.

You're right!  I notice the same thing.  Putting the Rocky in 4K only mode, I no longer seem to get the purple screen of death!  Thank you!

Same here - made the change to 4K with no HDR and everything works now. Thanks for the tip! But Roku should continue to solve the problem of not working with HDR since right on the box it states 4K Ultra HD and HDR. There is a statement on the side of the box that HDR will be available "after software release" so I hope this software release comes soon. 
Otherwise, I am happy with my new Roku now!

I pre-ordered the Ultra and have been dealing with this issue since I received my Ultra. This problem occurs in all display setting modes from 720p to 4K HDR. I just replaced my cables with Monoprice High Speed HDR cables and it still occurs.
0 Kudos
rji2goleez
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - HDCP Unauthorized... AGAIN!

"TrendyGuy" wrote:
"KenSoren" wrote:
"rji2goleez" wrote:
"spanglmd" wrote:
HDCP errors for me seem to be exclusively related to using the Ultra in 4K HDR mode. Once I step the display setting back down to 4K only, I was able to play hours of 4K content without a single purple screen.

You're right!  I notice the same thing.  Putting the Rocky in 4K only mode, I no longer seem to get the purple screen of death!  Thank you!

Same here - made the change to 4K with no HDR and everything works now. Thanks for the tip! But Roku should continue to solve the problem of not working with HDR since right on the box it states 4K Ultra HD and HDR. There is a statement on the side of the box that HDR will be available "after software release" so I hope this software release comes soon. 
Otherwise, I am happy with my new Roku now!

I pre-ordered the Ultra and have been dealing with this issue since I received my Ultra. This problem occurs in all display setting modes from 720p to 4K HDR. I just replaced my cables with Monoprice High Speed HDR cables and it still occurs.

Before making the display change, I tried several high speed cables.  Most if not all were the 18Gbs variety.  Then, I decided to give the pricey Monster 27Gbs a try.  I got the same result as the others on with the Roku 4K HDR display type but it's working flawlessly now on the 4K only.  I have no idea if my 18 Gbs cables will work but I bet they would.
0 Kudos