Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olipver
Level 7

Roku Ultra - DTS HD

Hi,

If I plug the Roku Ultra using the Digital Optical output (for the sound) on my Marantz M-CR611, will the Roku Ultra be able to read a DTS HD file on a USB Key, decode it and send the sound thru the digital optical cable or I absolutely have to use an external decoder because the Roku cannot decode DTS HD and can just send the sound thru the HDMI cable.

Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku Ultra - DTS HD

Roku cannot decode DTS audio. It can pass the bitstream through either optical or HDMI to an AVR that supports DTS. However, be aware that Roku does not support any HD audio formats (except for FLAC). With DTS, it should pass the DTS core audio to your AVR. I have no issue playing movies with DTS Master Audio, but I only get the lossy DTS core. With Dolby, standard Dolby Digital is the only audio it can process. If you have the 2016 version of the Ultra, it can decode DD+ to standard DD if your AVR doesn't support DD+. But any HD Dolby tracks (Such as TrueHD) requires transcoding, as there is no DD code available in the HD track.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
olipver
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Roku cannot decode DTS audio. It can pass the bitstream through either optical or HDMI to an AVR that supports DTS. However, be aware that Roku does not support any HD audio formats (except for FLAC). With DTS, it should pass the DTS core audio to your AVR. I have no issue playing movies with DTS Master Audio, but I only get the lossy DTS core. With Dolby, standard Dolby Digital is the only audio it can process. If you have the 2016 version of the Ultra, it can decode DD+ to standard DD if your AVR doesn't support DD+. But any HD Dolby tracks (Such as TrueHD) requires transcoding, as there is no DD code available in the HD track.

My Marantz is a "simple" network CD Receiver. It doesn't have any DD, DTS decoder. So if I understand your answer, if I want to be able to watch movies that have an HD soundtrack on the Roku Ultra, I have to use another receiver that has the proper decoders. Or find a version of the movie with no HD soundtrack.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

That, or stream the media from a DLNA server that provides audio transcoding (and video as well if necessary). Plex is one option of course, either via DLNA or their own channel. I use Plex as well as Serviio, and there are quite a lot of others available as well. Many are freeware, but some do have a price attached.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
olipver
Level 7

Thank you very much for all your detailed answered
0 Kudos