Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dexter12
Level 7

Roku Ultra Amazon HDR not working

Need some help. Have a Roku Ultra hooked up to a Sony 4K 900F TV and Amazon prime was working fine and HDR always worked. Today I went to watch Goliath season 2 on Prime and HDR will not work on this or any 4K show on amazon. I don’t know why. NETFLIX HDR works just fine through the Roku to the TV.  HDR does work through the Amazon app on the TV no problem but I prefer to use the Roku. 
Any ideas how to get HDR back working on Prime?  All the shows are listed as Ultra 4K on the Amazon Roku app so I don’t know what is going on. 

Thanks in advance for the help. 
0 Kudos
5 Replies
rockou
Level 9

Re: Roku Ultra Amazon HDR not working

The last update to the Prime app on Roku disabled HDR on it. No idea why but we will have to wait until Amazon fixes it.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Yep, it's an Amazon issue, not Roku. For some unexplained reason Amazon has removed HDR access from all Roku players, including the TVs. We need to complain to Amazon.
One possible reason is that Amazon is reportedly switching their content to HDR+, which Roku players do not support. I thought the HDR+ was backwards compatible with HDR players, but they may have discovered a problem with it and rather than fix the problem they just disabled all HDR for us. Of course, that's just conjecture. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 9

FWIW, its not even a RokuOS or AP app version/build-dependent issue, as it (HDR tag/content-playback removal) existed prior to both recent updates for a month or two.

Regardless, make sure you contact amazon:   

aiw-roku-feedback@amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201460920  (use the Contact Us left-hand column option)
https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/digi ... rime-video  (pretty useless, but provided regardless)
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 11

"atc98092" wrote:
Yep, it's an Amazon issue, not Roku. For some unexplained reason Amazon has removed HDR access from all Roku players, including the TVs. We need to complain to Amazon.
One possible reason is that Amazon is reportedly switching their content to HDR+, which Roku players do not support. I thought the HDR+ was backwards compatible with HDR players, but they may have discovered a problem with it and rather than fix the problem they just disabled all HDR for us. Of course, that's just conjecture. 

I thought the HDR10+ transition issue was resolved from this previous support thread. HDR Issue in Amazon VIdeo app

At that time all tone mapping from HDR content on Prime Video was lost just as the December 2017 press release was issued stating that all HDR10 content on Prime Video had been encoded to HDR10+. They were specific at the time that HDR10+ support was available for some models of Samsung TV's. But, as you stated, if your hardware does not support HDR10+, it should fall back to HDR10. Just like hardware that does not support Dolby Vision offered on Netflix will fall back to HDR10.  Amazon will start streaming HDR10+ Content

A number of TCL Roku TV users reported the issue at the time in the above thread link and with the assistance of RokuShawnS on this forum it took about 2 months of working with Amazon before HDR support was restored.

FWIW. I have a TCL 55P605 Roku TV and HDR Prime Video content is still being shown/labeled in the menu interface and the shows that I have streamed up until today are still in HDR format. My set is still on Roku OS 8.0, but based on the many comments here recently I would expect that very soon I may turn on my TCL Roku set and find that HDR support has been pulled from Prime Video again. SIGH.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
0 Kudos
Dexter12
Level 7

Thank you everyone for the quick replies and explanation. That is not good news, I knew Amazon was supporting the HDR+ like Samsung but I didn’t think we would lose regular HDR. 
I will complain to Amazon as well.  
0 Kudos