Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
berting
Level 9

Roku Ultra - 4k "HDCP Unauthorized" after TV is turned off and back on.

Hi ---
This is an exact repeat of a complaint that I had when the Roku Ultra was first introduced, and with the latest firmware update it's happening again:
Roku Ultra: 4640X
Version 8.10 build 4137-29 (Just updated a couple of days ago.)

TV: LG 4k (non-hdr)
65UF8500-UB
WebOS 2.2.1-2142

Whenever I power the television "off" the Roku Ultra seems to lose track of the HDCP connection. When I power the TV back "on", I get the (new) "HDCP Error Detected" screen. The message "Error Code:020" appears at the bottom of the error screen.

To restore the HDCP and Roku functionality, all I need to do is command a software "restart" on the Roku Ultra and everything works perfectly until the next time I power the television "off". I don't need to touch the television, nor do I need to remove the HDMI connections. This is 100% reliable, it happens every single time I power the TV "off" and back "on". (I can turn the TV off for 10 seconds at the home screen, and get the HDCP error when I turn it back on and play something.)

Unfortunately, this exact same nonsense went on for months when I first bought my Roku Ultra... Is this problem on anyone's radar?

Thanks for your help.
   --- John B.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jsmiddleton4
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra - 4k "HDCP Unauthorized" after TV is turned off and back on.

Had what is likely to be a similar issue/cause.  Mine won't hold the tested resolution.  So then it thinks its no longer connected to a HDCP 2.2 display and drops back to 1080p.  I've been told the only reason it does so is because I have a bad attitude...

Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
berting
Level 9

@jsmiddleton4 - Sorry to hear about your bad attitude...  Smiley Wink  I would consider myself lucky if the Ultra were to roll-back to 1080p, but mine stubbornly insists that I must be doing something immoral or illegal with the video stream. Perhaps my television is selling those reruns of Gilligan's Island on the black market behind my back. It seems silly that the protection of video content is so severe that the Roku will block me from watching the local news. Oh well, perhaps I just have a bad attitude too...  :shock:
0 Kudos
berting
Level 9

I've noticed that none of the secret menus allow me to roll back the Ultra firmware to the previous (working properly) firmware versions.  In the meantime I've re-commissioned an Amazon Fire to take over the 4k duties that my Ultra was providing. The Fire seems to have no problems whatsoever with my television's HDCP... Just FYI...
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"berting" wrote:
I've noticed that none of the secret menus allow me to roll back the Ultra firmware to the previous (working properly) firmware versions.  In the meantime I've re-commissioned an Amazon Fire to take over the 4k duties that my Ultra was providing. The Fire seems to have no problems whatsoever with my television's HDCP... Just FYI...

Fire TV box using an HDMI cable? Or Fire TV Stick with the built-in HDMI connector?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
berting
Level 9

"Basil" wrote:
"berting" wrote:

Fire TV box using an HDMI cable? Or Fire TV Stick with the built-in HDMI connector?

Basil --- I have a Gen 2 Fire TV box (not the stick) and I'm using the same HDMI cable that I used with the Ultra before it stopped working due to the firmware update. Back when the Ultra was first being debugged and had this same failure I bought a half-dozen or so high-end HDMI cables because some people thought my problem was a cable issue. It wasn't, none of the cables made a shred of difference in the HDCP. The cable I kept using (and I'm using now) is a 3ft cable that had the nicest 4k picture quality.
0 Kudos
Desterly
Level 7

I have the exact same issue.   Roku Ultra plugged into a 2016 Samsung smart TV.    Haven't had any issues for the past 6 months till the last firmware revision.  Now everytime the TV is turned off, back on,  I have to restart the Roku to play anything from Youtube, Plex, Netflix, etc.    

Just to verify, validated all the usual (different port, new approved cable, etc).   The only way to avoid the error is to change the TV back to 1080 which isn't really an option.
0 Kudos
GoKingsGo
Level 7

I've got the same thing on my LG 4K TV.
Roku Ultra with Roku software v 8.1.0 build 4137

Resetting fixes the error (020) until the TV is turned off, then i have to do it all over again.

No problems otherwise, but this is driving me nuts!
0 Kudos
aaronhong13
Level 7

I am also experiencing this issue. TV reboot breaks HDCP. No issues on Nvidia Shield, Amazon Fire Cube, XBox One, PS4, and Chromecast Ultra all with the same cable. This is extremely frustrating and needs to be fixed.

Edit: of course the Chromecast Ultra is directly plugged in. Tried multiple different HDMI ports. Only one of them is set for 4k HDR though. Only Roku Ultra experiencing the issue.
0 Kudos
JAP1972
Level 7

"GoKingsGo" wrote:
I've got the same thing on my LG 4K TV.
Roku Ultra with Roku software v 8.1.0 build 4137

Resetting fixes the error (020) until the TV is turned off, then i have to do it all over again.

No problems otherwise, but this is driving me nuts!

I have the exact same scenario and issue.  LG 4k TV, v8.1.0 build 4137-29 and get the 020 HDCP error when I try to watch PS Vue.  Resetting the Roku fixes it until the TV is turned off and back on.  I would get this occasionally in the past, but now it's every time.  I tried changing the refresh rate to auto detect like another post mentioned, but that didn't resolve it.  Has anyone been able to stop this from happening?  
Nothing changed with my equipment setup so I suspect that a software update has caused this.
0 Kudos