Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku Ultra 4K HDR problem

I have a Vizio 4k 60Hz HDR TV that's connected to the Roku via a Marantz SR5013 receiver. I can direct drive this content via a number of other sources including Bluray player or PC. It passes 4k/60/HDR test on Roku, and that's what it auto-detects as well. However, immediately after switching to 4k/60/HDR I still have sound, but no video input. I can hear the little clicks moving the cursor, and if I remember the order of keypresses, can actually switch to 4k/60 without HDR to get my video back. There is no problem if I drive the TV directly from Roku, but there is clearly a Roku-specific video problem that occurs with HDR when using the receiver, since EVERY other source has no problem with this. I have updated the receiver  and Roku firmware, and the receiver is definitely HDCP 2.2 compatible. I've tried playing with HDR subsampling rates, etc... This is quite unsatisfying since this limits digital streaming to my home theater, which was the whole point I got the Roku. I'm pretty close to abandoning the Roku for another device (Shield, AppleTV, etc) if I cannot get this issue resolved. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra 4K HDR problem

I have identical issue with similar setup: Roku 4 -> Yamaha Receiver -> Samsung TV.  Other devices (Blueray DVD and TiVo work fine through the receiver.  I've changed cables, outputs, swapped receivers and swapped Roku 4 for Roku 3.  The issue still repeats.  I've been through resets, resolution, etc, etc. 

 

This has been a stable set-up for year... the issue only started in Apr 2020 -- has there been any software updates this month?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra 4K HDR problem

This is simple - if this isn't going to be fixed by software version 9.3 (which has been released but hasn't come to my Roku), I'm going to buy an Nvidia shield. Not only does it play Google Play videos at 4k, but it can then be a gaming hub. Wouldn't it suck for Roku to lose a client that bought multiple devices over several generations because of this... 

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Roku Ultra 4K HDR problem


@Username_Jay wrote:

I have identical issue with similar setup: Roku 4 -> Yamaha Receiver -> Samsung TV.  Other devices (Blueray DVD and TiVo work fine through the receiver.  I've changed cables, outputs, swapped receivers and swapped Roku 4 for Roku 3.  The issue still repeats.  I've been through resets, resolution, etc, etc. 

This has been a stable set-up for year... the issue only started in Apr 2020 -- has there been any software updates this month?


The Roku 4 does not support HDR, so can't be the same issue. So what exactly is your issue?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Roku Ultra 4K HDR problem


@efny wrote:

This is simple - if this isn't going to be fixed by software version 9.3 (which has been released but hasn't come to my Roku), I'm going to buy an Nvidia shield. Not only does it play Google Play videos at 4k, but it can then be a gaming hub. Wouldn't it suck for Roku to lose a client that bought multiple devices over several generations because of this... 


Actually I believe that the Shield has issues with HDR in Google Play as well. It does fine with Amazon Prime, Vudu or local content. And if you care about YouTube HDR, the Shield does not support and never will until YouTube switches from the VP9 profile 2 to AV1 video codec.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra 4K HDR problem


@atc98092 wrote:

@Username_Jay wrote:

I have identical issue with similar setup: Roku 4 -> Yamaha Receiver -> Samsung TV.  Other devices (Blueray DVD and TiVo work fine through the receiver.  I've changed cables, outputs, swapped receivers and swapped Roku 4 for Roku 3.  The issue still repeats.  I've been through resets, resolution, etc, etc. 

This has been a stable set-up for year... the issue only started in Apr 2020 -- has there been any software updates this month?


The Roku does not support HDR, so can't be the same issue. So what exactly is your issue?


What do you mean Roku doesn't support HDR?

For me the problem is that any time there's a power cycle, or the Roku just decides to "auto" select source quality (which it tests as 4k/60hz/hdr), I lose picture and have to blindly count clicks to use the remote to switch to 4k/60 in the menu. I literally have a printout of "home->two clicks up->click left, etc" sitting on my mantle because this happens so often. It's infuriating. 

0 Kudos
Level 21

Re: Roku Ultra 4K HDR problem


@efny wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

@Username_Jay wrote:

I have identical issue with similar setup: Roku 4 -> Yamaha Receiver -> Samsung TV.  Other devices (Blueray DVD and TiVo work fine through the receiver.  I've changed cables, outputs, swapped receivers and swapped Roku 4 for Roku 3.  The issue still repeats.  I've been through resets, resolution, etc, etc. 

This has been a stable set-up for year... the issue only started in Apr 2020 -- has there been any software updates this month?


The Roku does not support HDR, so can't be the same issue. So what exactly is your issue?


What do you mean Roku doesn't support HDR?

For me the problem is that any time there's a power cycle, or the Roku just decides to "auto" select source quality (which it tests as 4k/60hz/hdr), I lose picture and have to blindly count clicks to use the remote to switch to 4k/60 in the menu. I literally have a printout of "home->two clicks up->click left, etc" sitting on my mantle because this happens so often. It's infuriating. 


Whoops, typo. The Roku 4 does not support HDR. I'll edit that response so it isn't misleading. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos