Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kilted-1
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra 4800X that randomly freezes and/or restarts itself

I have this connected to my LAN through CAT5e cables in a gigabit system so the network is not the problem.

This started about two months ago and is really irritating.  Watching any channel it will randomly freeze to a black screen and lose connection to the TV (HDMI connected) and will require it being unplugged and plugged back in to restart it OR it will restart itself.  Some times it won't do it all day other times it will do one or both several times an hour.  It doesn't matter if I'm watching YouTube, Paramount+, Rumble, VUDU or any other channel.  Time of day doesn't matter either.

It didn't do this until one of the system updates.

Is there a fix for this? Or is there a replacement available????

I also have a Roku Express 4K+ mdl 3941RW and a Roku TV connected to my system that do NOT have this issue.  Why would ONLY the Ulta have this problem?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra 4800X that randomly freezes and/or restarts itself

@Kilted-1 wrote:

...Why would ONLY the Ulta have this problem?

While it could be the device is bad, it could be that the power supply is bad. Bad=not outputting proper power, not necessarily dead, of course.

If you have a power supply that outputs the same as the Ultra power supply specs, you could test that.

If it's that, you could replace the power supply, eating that cost. Or, if it's under warranty, start a warranty service request, since Roku normally replaces the device, not components.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Kilted-1 

You didnt mention the brand/model/firmware of the TV you are connecting your 4800 to, nor did you mention the firmware version of the 4800 (Settings/System/About)

In addition to what @DBDukes  suggests, its also possible your Ultra is overheating - move it to a different location/create better airflow to check this.

Also, check the following settings:

1) Settings/Display type = manually configured to match your TV (1080p TV, or 4K TV, 4K HDR TV, 4K DV TV, etc) - do NOT use Auto

2) Settings/Audio/Digital output format = Passthrough - do NOT use Auto

3) Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/HDR always on = off

4) Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/Auto-adjust display refresh rate = on/off (try it both ways)

Otherwise, if the PSU checks out and none of these changes addresses it, then you should consider a warranty return/exchange.

Kilted-1
Reel Rookie

I doubt my TV has anything to do with it as my TV works just fine.  It's always the ROKU that locks up and has to be restarted.

It has not gotten better nor have I had any response from ROKU for help with this!

I have the Ultra mounted vertically on the back or the TV stand rack that my TV hangs off of (it's about 2 1/2 inches away from the TV) to keep it cool.

And no, none of your setting changes makes it better.  In fact most of them made it worse.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Kilted-1 

We apologize for the delay in response.

Could you provide us with the serial number of the affected Roku device? This can be found in the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > About. We'll be able to further assist you from there.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Kilted-1
Reel Rookie

Kariza,

I looked in my account online and it's serial number is listed as, "X01000F3LKAL"

I don't know if that will help or not but, it's what I have right now.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Kilted-1 

Thanks for the reply.

We'll have a member of our Support team reach out to you via email. They will continue assisting you from there and provide a resolution to this issue.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos