Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nat2021
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra 4800X doesn't work with USB 3.0 hard drives

Jump to solution

Awesome !!

0 Kudos
AlpineRifle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Exactly my situation and the polite DanniezR banter about we are going to fix it is over a year old now and no fix.

The fact that Roku's answer to support is reading baloney from other paying customers tells me everthing i need to know about Roku.

User forum for support? Are you on dope?

0 Kudos
AlpineRifle
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra 4800X doesn't work with USB 3.0 hard drives

Jump to solution

For the record:  The thread started at 11-02-2020 10:42 AM as that is the first message on this topic I can find.

It is now 18-02-2022  November 2020 to Feb 2022 and no fix. 

That is 15 months of Roku not being very Ultra after all this 'support'.

0 Kudos
Dmule
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

for me, the 10.5.0 build 4201 update in November 2021 fixed the issue for me. My Roku Ultra 4800X will now recognize my Western Union 4TB Easystore drive. 

0 Kudos
AlpineRifle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

10.5.0 build 4201 is what I am using and it does not work.

I have one WD Book 3TB that works some time and one (1) four (4) TB and one (1) six (6) TB that are no longer recognised.

They have their own power supply. They are on a good qiality powered USB hub.

I have tried them in other combinations (with and without USB hub).  With a factory reset ect.  Unpluging the Roku while connecting, leaving it powered while connecting...

On and on and on.  I owned a computer service company and biult 1.000's of PC and networks in the last 30-years.  I was an Army Signalman for 15 years prior to that.

The Roku Ultra does not work as advertised.  Roku support is non exhistant.

0 Kudos
Highlife1911
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Have you reviewed the partion sturctures.  The Roku only access the FIRST partion. If you have a EFI partion on the front of your drive the Roku will not see your NTFS partion.

When I could not get my 5TB drive working, I checked with (Windows Disk Management)  the format of the Seagate (STHP5000400) 5TB USB 3.0 drive and found it was formatted GPT with a EFI partition and a NTFS partion. I re-architected the disk (MiniTool) deleting both partitions and creating only a single NTFS partion.  Copied a folder of mkv files onto the reformatted drive and the Seagate  (STHP5000400) 5TB USB 3.0 drive worked fine with the 4800X.  It seems the issue was the EFI partion.

0 Kudos
AlpineRifle
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra 4800X doesn't work with USB 3.0 hard drives

Jump to solution
It only has one partition. And I do not think you read or understood my former posts.

I stated that it worked fine (as configured) for several months after I installed it.  The RokuSucks not optional, forced updates, screwed the pooch and things that worked fine for several months stopped working.

You may also want to read the part about "I owned a Computer Service Company and Built thousands of systems and networks over the last 25-years.

Not only can I spell UEFI, which should be called 'Goofy Uuufy'  and EFI / ESP I know what they are and when one need to use the for BIOS / Security Key boot reasons.

I reformat every Hard Disk I buy. I only use EFI where it is need to communicate with UEFI.

In summary: with no read NONE changes to my hardware, external USB Hard Drives that worked for several months, stopped working.

And here is your clue 'it is not a problem with the hard drives'.

Roku Ultra did a cheap date USB port and is not USB 3.0 because some Roku Suite wanted a bigger bonus.  Should they pay for USB 3.0 rights and use the now dated but much better USB standard v.3.0 I would guess that the 'so-called' USB power issue would be solved.

It still won't fix the bug in the Roku firmware or software that left thousands of properly working USB Hard Drives being unrecognised by RokuSucksUltra.

I do not use EFI partitions on a NTFS data drive that is not bootable or does not have an external security device that needs a EUFI access part.

It is not the hard drives...
0 Kudos