Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BiLkaMachang
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra 4800X doesn't work with USB 3.0 hard drives

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser wrote:

@BiLkaMachang wrote:

I think most people on this thread would not recommend Roku products at this point.

Not all products/services meet all consumers needs/wants (or need to).

As the dominant US streamer platform with an installed (and growing) base of 54 million users and at least 54 million devices and a $50+ billion market cap, Roku losing the recommendations of a few users doesnt (and isnt going to) have any impact on them.

There are plenty of competitor products with similar functionality, and work well to fulfill a multiplatform streaming strategy.

This thread relates--specifically--to the non-functional USB 3.0 port on the Ultra 4800X.  I don't think you can reasonably read my comment to suggest that I think Roku products should fulfill ALL consumer needs.  Neither does my comment suggest that I think my recommendation will have an impact on Roku's bottom line.   You appear to be replying to a comment that was not posted--in a public relations type of way.

I think Roku products should do what they advertise to do.  Roku is risking a false advertising class action.   

0 Kudos
amz1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Agree 100%. I completely regret my purchase of an Ultra 4800x, which is sitting uselessly. I think I purchased it a year or a year and a half ago and I'm still using the (much) older Roku that it was intended to replace because that Roku will let me watch content from an attached USB drive. I was once a (very) loyal Roku customer but it's unlikely that I'll purchase another product from them at this point. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@BiLkaMachang wrote:

@StreamerUser wrote:

@BiLkaMachang wrote:

I think most people on this thread would not recommend Roku products at this point.

Not all products/services meet all consumers needs/wants (or need to).

As the dominant US streamer platform with an installed (and growing) base of 54 million users and at least 54 million devices and a $50+ billion market cap, Roku losing the recommendations of a few users doesnt (and isnt going to) have any impact on them.

There are plenty of competitor products with similar functionality, and work well to fulfill a multiplatform streaming strategy.

This thread relates--specifically--to the non-functional USB 3.0 port on the Ultra 4800X.  I don't think you can reasonably read my comment to suggest that I think Roku products should fulfill ALL consumer needs.  Neither does my comment suggest that I think my recommendation will have an impact on Roku's bottom line.   You appear to be replying to a comment that was not posted--in a public relations type of way.

I think Roku products should do what they advertise to do.  Roku is risking a false advertising class action.   

You appear to be misremembering your plainly posted and quoted comment - your comment specifically related to losing a few Roku user recommendations (it is what you said, after all).

It certainly had nothing to do with the original topic of the thread, or addressing the original topic of the thread, unless you strangely believe threatening a "disrecommendation" or "class action" is going to cause Roku's firmware engineers to suddenly take notice and address the remaining USB 3.0 drive recognition issue they are already well aware of.

If you meant something other than what you said, perhaps you should have stated that instead.

Neither "these few folks wont recommend Roku products" nor "Roku falsely advertised and risks a class action" have anything to do with the thread topic, nor will they impact addressing the remaining USB 3.0 drive recognition issues.

0 Kudos
ar1978
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ok, so all these comments aside, I just want to buy the Roku Streambar and plug the hard drive I have that is formatted for a Mac into it so my movies pop up.

It did not do this on the 4800X. The external hard drive is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and worked with the 2019 version of the Ultra.

0 Kudos
Dmule
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Danny,

I appreciate you sending all of our information to the appropriate team for investigation, but you/Roku have been telling us this for almost a year and the issue has not been fixed.

I agree with the one community member who said “at this point he could not recommend any Roku products”, 

I specifically bought the Roku Ultra 4800X because it was marketed as being able to connect an external hard drive to the USB port.

it didn’t work. 

what I don’t understand is previous version of the Ultra 4800 did work with an external hard drive, and the smart tv’s with a built in Roku player also work with external hard drives. 

to me, the software versions on the older Ultra, the smart TVs and my 4800X all look like the same build & version, so I am wondering if this issue is a hardware problem specifically affecting the 2020 Ultra 4800X. 

what ever is causing this issue needs to be fixed because basically i have a $100 coffee coaster because it is unusable for why I bought it. 

Nat2021
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi Danny I just bought a 2020 Ultra 4800X and I have the same problem.

My western digital external hard drives work fine with my 2018 Ultra but not with the new 2020 Ultra.

When I connect my WD drive into the new ultra it says "no compatible media found"

I have tried adding a powered USB hub and it still does not work.

My Roku Details are:

Roku Ultra model 4800X - Software Version 10.0.0 Build 4209 - C2

The External Drive that does not work is:

Western Digital 4TB - USB 3.0 port; USB 2.0 compatible.

Thanks Nathan.

0 Kudos
Highlife1911
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I wish I had found this thread a couple of days ago. Looks like I have the same problem.

I just bought a Roku 4800X .   It has Version 10.0.0 Build 4209-C2 and it will not recognize my USB drive.

Seagate 5TB Backup Plus Portable Drive USB 3.0 (STHP5000400)  formatted as NTFS.

It is connected via RSHTECH 4 Port Powered USB 3.0 Hub (RSH-516-4).  

When I attach other USB devices to the hub they are found easily.  

When I plug the Hub into the 4800x usb port, I see the indicator light for the drive on the hub show momentary activity but is not recognized by the 4800X.  

My reason for purchasing the 4800X was for it to serve as a traveling media player while I am on the road.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Nat2021 @Highlife1911

Thanks for the posts and providing us with your information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate Roku team for investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Nat2021
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi Danny

Thank you very much for doing this.

Kind regards Nathan.

0 Kudos
ar1978
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’d say at this point with the 2020 Roku Ultra 4800 that this problem is not going to get fixed.

I’m guessing people with large movie collections that connect it via an external hard drive to a Roku Ultra is a relatively low percentage of Roku Ultra users and this is a design or software flaw that will take some time and money to fix….which is why we haven’t seen a solution for this yet.

Usually they release new Ultras in September/October so hopefully this is fixed with the new model coming out in a month or two. In the meantime I downgraded to the 2019 Roku Ultra 4670 and my external hard drive immediately popped up with the movie collection. Fortunately the 2019 Roku Ultra is still relatively fast.

0 Kudos