Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dmule
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra 4800X doesn't work with USB 3.0 hard drives

Jump to solution

What is the software version that fixed your problem?

I got an Ultra 4800X for Christmas and it won’t recognize my Western Digital Easystore 4TB harddrive.

my current software is version 9.4.1 build 4222-C2

rogalskij
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Mine is also on that build but it was an earlier build that fixed the issue. 

Recommend formatting the drive (mine is also a WD 4TB) and making sure to use NTFS as the file system. The update that fixed it for me was a revision ago.

0 Kudos
Dmule
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion, but my drive is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which is the same as HFS+ and Roku says that is a supported drive format for the Ultra. 

0 Kudos
elephantk10
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello Danny,

I was wondering if it would be possible to have this patch for the 4800x in the next update for WD 3.0 drives formatted with FAT32 as well.  

I have found that flash drives formatted with FAT32 work well with the 4800x but hard drives 4TB and above formatted in FAT32(in my case, a couple of WD hard drives) are not able to work with the 4800x but the same hard drives work with all my other Roku devices, including the one released just prior, the 4670x.  

Thank you for any help with this.

0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 4800x not working with 4 TB WD hard drive in FAT32

Jump to solution

Try connecting it with a different cable or use a usb extension.

This usually fixes. I have had issues with many different hardware from roku to dj equipment and the aforementioned solution usually does it. 

I just gave a user the same response for a 14tb drive and it worked. The funny thing is usually after connecting with an usb extension or different USB cable you can use the original cable after it get recognized and use as normal..

0 Kudos
elephantk10
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for that idea. I have tried connecting the drive with different cables, switching them out and the 4800x does not work in the way that the other Rokus do.

I believe that larger FAT32 formatted drives still need to be looked at in a similar way. Thanks for your time and thoughts.

0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Aloha, I am not saying you didnt try it with different cables but really they coould all be essential not good wires even if they do work with different drives and same Rokus, its really random. 

BUT with that, do yourself a favor and get the USB extension if anything the mess if you will is with 3,0 ports being able to use 2,0 ports. Dependent on the order you plug them in and power them up can cause ones that have worked on ports to not work any longer. So if the different cable does not work with ones in the home the 2 other ways that it will work, is one using a usb hub or usb extension wire.

And once recognized you can revert back to the old method.

I know it sounds bizarre but try it. The trick has worked on the ROKU, Pro audio equipment and even usb keyboards. It is not a FAT32 issue because the OS is a unix/linux stack and the format and amount of files is not an issue whatsoever.

0 Kudos
HiddenValley
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku Ultra will not work with my powered USB 4 port hub but the same setup works fine on my Roku 3. I am trying to connect two 2tb WD drives so I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary. The Roku Ultra 4800x will only recognize the last hard drive connected to the hub. I tried the two solutions posted in another area of this community and neither of those solutions work.

0 Kudos
DWMT

Jump to solution

Hi I just purchased a Ultra 4800X and it does not recognize my Seagate 4TB USB 3.0 external drive formatted as NTFS.  This same drive is recognized by my older Ultras and by my PC so I do not believe it is a problem with the drive, or with its power consumption, etc.  When I installed the new Roku Ultra 4800X it did a software update so I think I have the latest update (as of 1/2/2021).  Please advise as to when you will get this to work or what I am doing wrong. @RokuDanny-R Roku Ultra (4800 series) 

0 Kudos
amz1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm in the same situation. I just "upgraded" from a Roku 3 to a Roku Ultra 4800X and now it can't access any of the videos on the two portable USB drives that I used with the old Roku 3. I get an error message that "No compatible media found". This is pretty pathetic, Roku. I had no reason to upgrade but my old Roku 3 was getting a little slow so I thought I might as well get the latest version. If you don't fix this I'll be tossing the new device in the trash. C'mon!