Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
searvy
Level 8

Roku Ultra 4800X Frames Dropping

Just want to report I am experiencing frame drops on the new Roku Ultra. I am seeing this in Plex with 1080p bluray mkv remux's. It is especially noticeable on scenes with action or panning. The same files play perfectly on my Roku Ultra 4670X.

Let me know if there are any troubleshooting steps you want me to perform or logs I can pull.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra 4800X Frames Dropping

Assuming you have the latest firmware build (9.4.1-4222), and that you otherwise tested with RMP/Emby/etc (to rule out a Plex-only issue), make sure you report this directly to Roku:

Chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options     (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
searvy
Level 8

I just received update 9.4.1 build 4222 today. I upgraded and the frame drops seem to be slightly better if at all.

I found a thread on Plex forums regarding this issue. Per that forum thread it happens when the audio is DTS. I confirmed when I turn DTS off it resolved the issue for me as well. 

The frame drops also happen with Roku Media Player and Emby so I don't think the problem is with the plex app.

Thread on plex forum is here: https://forums.plex.tv/t/movies-with-dts-are-stuttering-on-latest-roku-ultra-2020/653197

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Again, you need to report this directly to Roku per the details I stated above (the more people that report this, and sooner, the more likely and sooner it gets fixed).

Also, since the issue involves audio, make sure you have the 4800 set to "Auto passthrough" and not "Auto detect" mode ("Auto detect" transcodes/converts all audio to the highest Dolby level of the connected device).

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos