Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra 4670X - Dolby Atmos is not working

Jump to solution

1) Change Setting/Audio/HDMI=Auto passthrough

2) Leave Settings/Display type=Auto detect

3) Change Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/HDR Always on=off

4) Consider Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/Auto adjust display refresh rate=enabled

0 Kudos
richard758
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra 4670x--any way it can support Dolby Atmos in Netflix

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra 4670x. It plays Dolby Atmos from Disney+ and HBO Max just fine. But when I try to play Atmos encoded films or shows on Netflix, it defaults to Dolby Digital 5.1+. I do get HDR and ultra 4k just fine, but not Atmos. Is there any way I can get the Netflix App to support Atmos? Thanks

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra 4670x--any way it can support Dolby Atmos in Netflix

Jump to solution

@richard758 wrote:

I have a Roku Ultra 4670x. It plays Dolby Atmos from Disney+ and HBO Max just fine. But when I try to play Atmos encoded films or shows on Netflix, it defaults to Dolby Digital 5.1+. I do get HDR and ultra 4k just fine, but not Atmos. Is there any way I can get the Netflix App to support Atmos? Thanks

I've been down this road way too many times with both Roku and Netflix, confused as you are over the fact that nearly every other streaming service that supports Dolby Atmos (Disney+, Vudu, HBO Max, Prime Video, Apple TV) is capable of playing that audio format except Netflix on my older Roku 4K-capable devices (Roku Premiere, Streaming Stick+).

First, you need to have a Premium 4K subscription with Netflix (which you obviously already have).

Second, the only two Roku devices that support Dolby Atmos on Netflix are the Roku Ultra 4800R (the model that was released in 2020) and the Roku Streaming Stick 4K (that was released late last year). This is due to the fact that Netflix requires that a certain Dolby chipset (usually one that supports both Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos) be installed on your hardware. Currently, those are the only two Roku devices that support Dolby Vision HDR. I upgraded to both of those devices last year, and am currently receiving Dolby Atmos on Netflix.

UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Its not about the SoC per se, but about about the NF client app version, and DV isnt required for DA.

The following models all support DA in NF (4800 and newer player models):

4800 (2020 Ultra), 4801 (2021 Ultra LT), 3940 (2021 Express 4K), 3941 (2021 Express 4K+), 3820 (2021 Streaming Stick 4K), 3821 (2021 Streaming Stick 4K+)

0 Kudos
Steve71
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m stuck here. I just got the Roku Ultra 4800X and I have the Sonos ARC sound bar that supports Atmos. It is connected to my LGTV in the HDMI ARC port. I tested out multiple shows on Apple TV plus and Amazon that say they play atmos such as Jack Ryan but on my Sonos all EQ it always shows Dolby Digital 5.1 is playing. Not Atmos. I’m stuck. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Steve71

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-screenshots of the issue happening

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
lacarlson
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have been pulling my hair out with this issue. My Chromecast outputs Atmos to my receiver and projector just fine. But my Roku 4670X only outputs Dolby Digital.  I've tried every audio setting I can find and am at the end of my rope here. 

This happens on all apps. Disney+, HBO, Netflix, etc. 

YJ000S839784

KW9990839784

11.00 build 4193-46

0 Kudos
svinson
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’ve got a 4670 as well and the audio cuts out every couple of minutes for about 15-20 sec…see it all the time on Disney and hbo max.

I have no ability to do the pass through thing….looks like only option is to go buy a newer roku ultra….planned obsolescence and very frustrating.

0 Kudos
davidc502
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I bought a new Roku (I already have many), so I could have passthrough so Atmos would work.  Have to tell you though, unless you have a ton of speakers at different angles around the room, Atmos isn't all that.  There are certain situations where voices, for example, are programmed to only come through a particular speaker, but it is rare to have effects in Atmos that really have much of an impact. Audiophiles might appreciate it a little more, but for me it isn't making much difference for my 5.1 setup.

0 Kudos
DLBuck

Jump to solution

Ok.  My question is similar I think. I have a 1-year-old Sony Bravia TV. I have a newer Roku that has everything. Am I better off going straight from the TV or stream through the Roku device?  Currently I'm running my TV eArc into the sound bar arc. 

0 Kudos