Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uggz74
Level 7

Roku Ultra 2020 Non HD MPEG2 aspect ratios wrong

I replaced my very old roku 3 with a new Roku Ultra, but have been having playback issues with MPEG2 streams that aren't HD (mainly 480i live tv Streams).  I have 4 other Roku devices and they all play the files fine using the same apps (Plex, HDHomerun).  That tells me this is a bug with the 2020 Ultra.  Is anyone else having this issue and found a way to fix it without converting/transcoding the stream to something else?  It is frustrating when 5 year old hardware works better than brand new. Thanks 

12 REPLIES 12\
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 Non HD MPEG2 aspect ratios wrong

This is a reported/known issue; however, you should report this directly to Roku:

Chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options   (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Frustr8dRkuUsr
Level 9

I have this issue with my HDhomerun Scribe.  I have been bugging Silicondust for months.  They blame Roku.  Glad I found a case here that matches.  I did a chat and Roku is escalating it.  But they didn't seem like it was a known issue.  I gave them the post here to refer to.

I am hoping it goes somewhere.  It is bugging me that the new Roku is the bad one and my other old ones are fine. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

Whether something is a known issue, known to Roku, or known to Roku and acknowledged, are in fact different things, as you may have discovered - which is why reporting it directly is necessary (makes it more likely they will acknowledge it with additional reports).

The 4800 has a different SoC and is on a different firmware track due to its different SoC (with differing functionality), so its not surprising there are differences between it and previous Ultras when it comes to behavior/bugs.

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
uggz74
Level 7

I raised this with Roku shortly after this post and had several exchanges where they asked for me for info and finally gave me a reply that felt like they gave up.  Something to the effect of we will let you know if we figure it out.  That was about a month ago.  I have not been impressed. 

0 Kudos
Frustr8dRkuUsr
Level 9

Yep, I also started a ticket and pointed them to the community.  They said they were going to bring it to the engineering team for further study.  Haven't heard back yet.  It is less noticeable on some channels, no problem at all on some channels and then hideous on what is channel 13 sub band in Los Angeles.  I sure wish Roku and Silicondust could get together for a few minutes to figure it out.

0 Kudos
kohai-ut
Level 7

I have the same problem.  Here's a sample clip:  Sample bad aspect ratio 

NOTE: This plays correctly on my older roku ultra.  My newest roku ultra (3 months old?) has this issue, but not the old one.

Source file is from my hdhomerun 4k.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@kohai-ut wrote:

I have the same problem.  Here's a sample clip:  Sample bad aspect ratio 

NOTE: This plays correctly on my older roku ultra.  My newest roku ultra (3 months old?) has this issue, but not the old one.

Source file is from my hdhomerun 4k.

The more this is directly reported, the more likely and sooner its going to be fixed - make sure you use the link/process provided earlier in this thread to do so.

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
kohai-ut
Level 7

DONE!  I sent them an email.

0 Kudos
kohai-ut
Level 7

@kohai-ut wrote:

DONE!  I sent them an email.

Sadly the response I got from them was as if they are unaware of this issue.  They ask me to reboot the roku, make sure my settings are correct for HDMI, run updates, etc.

0 Kudos