Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Corvettester
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 Auto Detect 1080p Dolby Vision yet 4K HDR direct selection

Not yet. 

0 Kudos
Philt56
Streaming Star

I get either 1080p DV or 4k HDR. Depending whether I choose auto or not. 

0 Kudos
x4grace

My roku detects my LG display as 1080p Dolby Vision.  I can manually set to 4k HDR and the roku tests as good.  I watch HBO and Disney at a 4k HDR resolution, then overnight the roku re-sets to 1080p Dolby.  Each morning when I turn on my TV the first thing I have to do is re-discover the display and force to 4k HDR.  It is my daily pain.  Hey Roku, please stop resetting my display to the lower resolution!

BadMoose

I have the exact same problem. I have connected my Roku ultra to the Vizio soundbar that I use to pass through to my LG OLED tv. The soundbar is a very new model & supports 4k passthrough. But like u the Roku ultra keeps defaulting to 1080p Dolby vision at 60 hz even though I specifically manually select 4k Dolby which is limited to 30 hz. This happens whenever the Roku is restarted. Have u found a solution to this? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Corvettester
Binge Watcher

I did. What I had to do is go to System, Advance system settings, Advanced display settings, HDR always on “On”. Then go to Display type, “4K HDR TV”. Then restart the Roku Ultra. Now it stays at 4K HDR. 

0 Kudos
Philt56
Streaming Star

Did something change? When I did the display setting, it now said it could run 4k Dolby vision at 30hz but not recommended. Before I always got the message that said I could only have Dolby vision at 1080p since my tv didn’t support 60hz. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Philt56

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
b2net
Streaming Star

Keep in n ming that if we pick 4K Dolby Vision at 30fps, despite the fact Roku 4800 can change frame rates for content, it will also choke back all frame rates to a max of 30fps.  So if you also want HDR at 60fps, you will have to change settings to 4K HDR for HDR programming and back to 4K DV for DV content.  Besides the fact the display settings have to be changed every single time we turn the TV off and on, this is about as annoying.  Been 18 months since release.  When will this ever work well.

0 Kudos
b2net
Streaming Star

Turns out that the 30fps DV setting caps all content at up to 30fps.  Seems like with the Auto Frame Rate setting on, the Roku software would be robust enough to run all content at it's native frame rate (up to 60fps) except the DV at 30fps limit.

Instead the choice is 1080p at 60fps cap for SDR, HDR, DV or 4K HDR at 60fps cap for SDR, HDR with no DV.  Or the DV setting at 30fps for SDR, HDR, DV.

Hoping next software update allows Auto Frame Rate to cover this appropriately.

0 Kudos
b2net
Streaming Star

Seems the choice even after the last 2 major software updates still is 1080p at 60fps cap for SDR, HDR, DV or 4K HDR at 60fps cap for SDR, HDR with no DV. Or the DV setting at 30fps for SDR, HDR, DV.

Seems like if we pick DV and have Auto Frame Rate setting on , the software could give us SDR and HDR at 60fps and DV at 30fps.  Not capping all of them at 30fps.