Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b2net
Streaming Star

Roku Ultra 2020 Auto Detect 1080p Dolby Vision yet 4K HDR direct selection

When paired with our LG UH8500, our new Roku Ultra 2020 only Auto Detects 1080p for Dolby Vision while allowing direct selection of 4K HDR.IMG_20201021_213920987.jpg

IMG_20201021_215950788.jpg

This is concerning as we waited to upgrade from Roku 3 to Ultra until there was Dolby Vision included.

Will this be corrected when 0S 9.4 is pushed to the player?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Philt56
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 Auto Detect 1080p Dolby Vision yet 4K HDR direct selection

I was told in an LG forum that my set does not allow DV 4K at 60hz which is what Roku sends (and apparently also a fire stick) . They said this was the streaming app is sending. Not clear if Roku can lower the frequency for the tv to handle. 

0 Kudos
b2net
Streaming Star

I was told by LG themselves the issue is with their OS.  I asked if there would be a firmware update or not and was told they are working on updates for older models.  The answers was nos specific enough to ascertain if they meant in general or on this specific topic (4K+Dolby Vision).

I do wonder now what actual quality etc we are getting when we stream via an app on the TV itself when Dolby Vision is engaged.  If it is 60fps or not.  Would be interesting to see where the bottleneck exists.  Is it via HDMI?  Is it firmware?  Is it a hardware limitation?  Hopefully we eventually get an answer.

I also wonder if we will get anything from Roku to better match our TVs ability on Dolby Vision.  Otherwise this new player's addition of Dolby Vision is useless to those of us that have older LG TVs.

0 Kudos
Philt56
Streaming Star

Not sure what apps support DV any more? It seems that Amazon prime has removed it from their shows like Jack Ryan.  I don’t have Netflix so I can’t test that. 

also not sure how one can have the tv display what an internal app is sending to confirm if it’s 4k DV? If I’m sending over hdmi input, I can click upper left screen corner when input name is present and get all the info. 

0 Kudos
b2net
Streaming Star

On the LG UH8500, when clicking the input etc the upper doesn't show quality.  Benn one of only a few complaints about this TV.

I did hear that Amazon pulled DV due to bandwidth savings due to Pandemic and will be returning it soon.

As far as DV goes here are the apps where we have access to DV content

Disney+

VUDU.

FandangoNOW.

Movies Anywhere.

Apple TV.

0 Kudos
Philt56
Streaming Star

I have an E6 oled. It shows resolution and the type of hdr. By quality you mean frequency/ frame rate?

0 Kudos
b2net
Streaming Star

The UH8500 does not show picture quality (aka resolution) nor any rate etc of the material from any input or TV channel.  One of my few complaints about the TV.

0 Kudos
b2net
Streaming Star

I discovered that when clicking info and then moving the magic curser over the upper left display that shows the input/channel simple info, that it actually changes the info to include the resolution, audio, picture quality etc.  While it doesn't show frame rate and only the output specs of the connected device, this is a welcome discovery.

0 Kudos
Corvettester
Binge Watcher

I do have a LG 3D 55" 4K TV 2016 built that has the latest software connected to 5.1 audio system with the Roku Ultra 2020 connected to HDMI 1. If I use the VUDU app on TV, some movies indicate 4K HDR Dolby Digital Plus (Greenland) and some indicate 4K Dolby Vision and Digital Plus (Tenet). So, I believe the trouble is on Roku's back. I also use the LG TV Plus app on the Iphone to check resolution. Click on the (i) symbol in the circle.

0 Kudos
ChrisRun

I am having the same issue with the same TV. Have there been any updates from either LG or Roku about this issue?

0 Kudos