Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WizeGuyDezignz
Level 7

Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R) sometimes goes to snowy screen

Hey guys and gals, I recently got a Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R) from Amazon and I'm having an issue that I didn't have with my 2019 version. 

At random times I will get a snowy screen. That is the best way I can describe it. It will just be a screen full of black, white and a couple other colors scrambled around like salt and pepper interference. 

It has happened a few times when starting a movie on Amazon Prime. I will have to either return home and start the movie over to fix it or restart the Roku. Last night it happened when I started up my TV.

 

Not positive if it's just related to Amazon Prime. I can't recall if it happened with anything else, but it may have. 

If it helps at all, I am using these video settings:

Display type: Auto detect>4K HDR (Dolby Vision) HDCP 2.2

Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings: 

Auto-adjust display refresh rate: On

HDR subsampling: 4:2:2

HDR always on: Off

Any help would be appreciated. I just want to know if I should get an exchange, or maybe if it's just some sort of compability issue like a cable, setting, etc.

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 15

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R) sometimes goes to snowy screen

You dont mention the brand/model of your TV and/or AVR, or how you have it connected.

Make sure you enable "Deep Color" or "Enhanced mode" on the HDMI ports for the TV/AVR (these may be called something else - consult your TV/AVR documentation for the specifics).

 

0 Kudos
WizeGuyDezignz
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R) sometimes goes to snowy screen


@StreamerUser wrote:

You dont mention the brand/model of your TV and/or AVR, or how you have it connected.

Make sure you enable "Deep Color" or "Enhanced mode" on the HDMI ports for the TV/AVR (these may be called something else - consult your TV/AVR documentation for the specifics).

 


My apologies. I have a Sony A8H OLED. I have all HDMI ports set to enhanced. I'm getting 4K HDR and Dolby Vision when available with no problem. It is just this snowy picture that happens once in a while. 

For audio, I have a Samsung HW-K950 soundbar. I have the Roku connected directly to the TV for video. For audio I run the Roku through a ViewHD UHD 18Gbps Audio Extractor. The reason I do this is because my soundbar doesn't pass Dolby Vision, so this is the only way I can do it.

For reference, I use Monoprice HDMI certified ultra high speed cables. This is the same exact setup and cables I used when I had my Apple TV 4K. I never had any video issues with that using this same setup. 

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you! 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 15

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R) sometimes goes to snowy screen

I'm assuming the TV's/Soundbar's ARC connection is insufficient somehow, thus the audio extractor?

Regardless, the only thing I see that might cause/increase the "snow" issue is the 4:2:2 HDR subsampling - I only experience this (occasionally) when I set this (instead of 4:2:0) with my LG C7, and upon switching inputs.

Try setting this to 4:2:0 and see if this diminishes/disappears - if this alone doesn't do it, also disable auto adjust refresh rate in conjunction.

0 Kudos
WizeGuyDezignz
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R) sometimes goes to snowy screen


@StreamerUser wrote:

I'm assuming the TV's/Soundbar's ARC connection is insufficient somehow, thus the audio extractor?

Regardless, the only thing I see that might cause/increase the "snow" issue is the 4:2:2 HDR subsampling - I only experience this (occasionally) when I set this (instead of 4:2:0) with my LG C7, and upon switching inputs.

Try setting this to 4:2:0 and see if this diminishes/disappears - if this alone doesn't do it, also disable auto adjust refresh rate in conjunction.


Thank you again for the response. 

Yes, as mentioned I'm using the audio extractor because my soundbar doesn't pass Dolby Vision. So I have my Roku hooked straight to the TV so I can get Dolby Vision. The audio extractor handles the audio. 

Unfortunately the snow is still showing up. It happened last night using the Fox Sports app and this morning using Disney+. With Disney+ it was when I backed out of a movie. It seems to be happening everywhere now and randomly.

I also turned off auto adjust refresh rate and dropped down to 4:2:0. So neither of those things fixed the issue. 

Photo attached of what it looks like. Should I exchange the unit at this point? Or try a different HDMI cable first? I've never had a problem using these ultra high speed HDMI certified cables from Monoprice. But maybe Roku doesn't play nice with them?

Thank you! 20210215_065314.jpg

 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 15

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R) sometimes goes to snowy screen

Not sure where the audio extractor is in the chain, but I presume between the Roku and the TV - for the sake of troubleshooting, you might consider removing it (and at least temporarily relying on ARC for audio from the Roku/TV to the soundbar, even if you temporarily lose DD+/Atmos) and seeing if the issue mostly resolves - if it does, then the extractor is the issue.

 

0 Kudos
WizeGuyDezignz
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 (4800R) sometimes goes to snowy screen


@StreamerUser wrote:

Not sure where the audio extractor is in the chain, but I presume between the Roku and the TV - for the sake of troubleshooting, you might consider removing it (and at least temporarily relying on ARC for audio from the Roku/TV to the soundbar, even if you temporarily lose DD+/Atmos) and seeing if the issue mostly resolves - if it does, then the extractor is the issue.

 


Thank you so much for the help, I'm gonna do some testing and I will let you know. 

0 Kudos