Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malrats
Level 9

Roku TV audio delay going on for years now (across two Roku TVs).

So I’ve been having this same issue across two Roku TV models now—first the 55S401 and now the 65S525. When connecting any device via HDMI and getting audio via ARC or optical, there is significant audio delay that makes things unusable. For example, when playing a video game and firing a weapon—let’s use a rocket launcher for an example—you first see the rocket launch and then with a delay hear the sound of it launching, well after the rocket has already left the barrel. It’s extremely distracting. You can apply this issue to any video game, TV show, or movie. Lips don’t match. Sounds are delayed quite significantly.

So I figured maybe my solution would be an AVR. I bought a pretty barebones Pioneer model a couple years back. It largely cleared up the audio issues. Problem is, when connecting my Xbox to it via HDMI (to the “Game” input), I can’t use Dolby Vision nor do features like “Allow auto low latency mode”. I know that the AVR doesn’t support Dolby Vision, but I don’t know why ALLM would be blocked.

I tried plugging the Xbox back into any of the available HDMI ports on the Roku TV (all but ARC which is occupied by my AVR) and those features are then enabled, but with the significant audio delay.

Has anyone had similar issues and perhaps even success with fixing them? Roku has been ignoring the audio delay issues for years and I don’t really ever see them putting out a fix.

Also, to be clear, I have all processing features like dynamic contrast and such turned OFF on the TV, but it makes no different whatsoever with the audio delay.

Audio issues galore.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
EErickson05
Level 9

Re: Roku TV audio delay going on for years now (across two Roku TVs).

Is this still happening after the 9.4 update?

0 Kudos
malrats
Level 9

Yes, absolutely.

Audio issues galore.
0 Kudos
HisSvt2
Level 10

On your Xbox switch audio to bitstream out Dolby digital and the lag will be gone if your using arc. 

0 Kudos
malrats
Level 9

That’s the way I always have my Xbox set up. The only way I can mitigate the lag is with my AVR. Directly to the TV and it’s awful. Games are unplayable. Bullets make their sounds seconds after they fire. It’s so bad.

Audio issues galore.
0 Kudos
HisSvt2
Level 10

You do have game mode on that input right? And is the input you are using the one with the lowest input lag on your tv.

0 Kudos
malrats
Level 9

Yes, definitely.

Audio issues galore.
0 Kudos
EErickson05
Level 9

I don't understand the point of even updating the firmware with eArc support if they didn't fix the delay problem.  If everything has to be passed through a receiver or soundbar eArc is pointless.  I saw TCL suggest switching to PCM to mitigate the delay but that will only give you stereo so again, what's the point of eArc if you can't use it properly.  This has made shopping for a soundbar EXTREMELY frustrating.  The Samsung bar I like has a 2.1 hdmi port for 4k120hz passthrough but no Dolby Vision, and the Sony soundbar I like has Dolby Vision passthrough but only 2.0 hdmi.  Why can't TCL fix this!!

malrats
Level 9

@EErickson05Heads-up: Connecting a soundbar never helped with the delay for me. It took an AVR and home theater speakers to get it to any acceptable level. I bought and tested at least a dozen or more soundbars before finally giving up. The TV just can’t process audio without a significant delay. I don’t know why.

Audio issues galore.
0 Kudos
EErickson05
Level 9

I was planning on connecting my game consoles to the bar and then from the bar to the tv. But the bar I really wanted can't pass through Dolby Vision. And I would have to keep switching plugs everytime I went from xbox to playstation. That would fix the delay but not allow me to connect all my devices to my tv and then passthrough to the bar via eArc because of the stupid dealy issues. That's why I was saying why did TCL even bother making an eArc update if you can't pass through Atmos, DTS etc properly. Changing settings to PCM rids the delay but then all you get is stereo. So now I have to find a bar with all the HDR pass through features because eArc is busted

0 Kudos