Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdoggvt
Level 7

Roku TV: HDR10 HEVC Too Dark to Watch, VP9/4K Work

I sent this over to TCL support but thought I'd take my chances here too. Thanks for taking a look!

I have found HDR (not 4k) on the 75" S423 to be too dark to watch. HDR10 and HEVC is clearly listed as supported on the site but the experience is like watching content through sunglasses as opposed to 1080 or 4k UHD content which is bright and vibrant. 

Environment: 75S423. light controlled, can be darkened effectively even during the daytime, does not affect 1080/4k experience. Unit is hardwired to router via Gbps ethernet. HDMI1: FireStick 4k. HDMI3: HDMI ARC for audio return to receiver. Netflix is set to maximum streaming at the account level.

Issue: Content with HDR flag causes video to be dimmed to the point that is is unwatchable. Changing the HDR mode to normal/dark/bright does not help. Setting HDR color space between native and auto does not help. Changing Gamma between 2.2 and 1.8 does not help. Disabling HDR disables Netflix as it is expecting to stream HDR and TV will not accept signal. 

Services Affected: All HDR content, whether via HDR Netflix or local Plex server.

Remedies Attempted: Uninstall/reboot/reinstall of Netflix and Plex apps. Factory Reset of TV. Hooking up FireTV 4K to HDMI 1 and attempting to play same content yields same exact result (FireStick is over WiFi, plays all 4k/non-UHD content same as Roku)

Observations: HDR10 does not work as expected.

YouTube HDR (works) utilizes VP9, not HEVC

Netflix 4k UHD content (works) VP9, not HEVC

Netflix HDR content (does not work) utilizes HEVC

Plex HDR content (does not work), HDR10 (HEVC), Rec. 2020

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them. The non-HDR stuff looks great, it's just frustrating that HDR does't as it is advertised to do so.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
jjobe
Level 7

Re: Roku TV: HDR10 HEVC Too Dark to Watch, VP9/4K Work

Reading about the TV on Rtings, you may just be experiencing a limitation of that model. I have a R625 and it's noticably darker for HDR content as well, and sometimes I bump up the backlight to compensate. Check out the review at https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/4-series-2019

0 Kudos
jdoggvt
Level 7

Thanks for the reply! I agree this isn’t a top of the line model and maybe I’m in get-what-you-pay-for territory, but Netflix HDR is terrible and yet YouTube HDR isn’t? It just seems that something isn’t right.

0 Kudos
jjobe
Level 7

Most Netflix HDR I see is Dolby Vision, I'm not sure how your set will handle that, maybe that's part of it?

0 Kudos
jdoggvt
Level 7

This one doesn’t do Dolby Vision, so on the details screen it just says “HDR”. My iPad I guess will, so that same screen has the DV symbol instead so I assume it’s giving me the correct stream for the TCL, I just don’t think it handles it very well. I tried an episode of Altered Carbon also and compared it to a 1080 version, 1080 was much better. Also did the tunnel scene from dark knight returns HDR on YouTube and it looked really great, so I’m at a loss. It’s like the tv can do hdr as advertised, just not HEVC encoded.

0 Kudos