Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Silverado149
Level 7

Roku Surround Sound

I use Roku to typically watch Hulu and Plex. I plug the Roku by HDMI to my Onkyo AVR. I have noticed that the sound experience is not that great and mostly  focused on the front speakers. Checking the AVR, I see that the Roku device is being received as a 2 channel PCM stream. When I plug other devices into the same port and play the same video, my AVR sees them as a multi-channel PCM stream or a 5 channel PCM stream.

I have gone to the Roku settings and changed it to both auto and Dolby Digital with no change.

Any suggestions?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Roku Surround Sound

"Silverado149" wrote:
I use Roku to typically watch Hulu and Plex. I plug the Roku by HDMI to my Onkyo AVR. I have noticed that the sound experience is not that great and mostly  focused on the front speakers. Checking the AVR, I see that the Roku device is being received as a 2 channel PCM stream. When I plug other devices into the same port and play the same video, my AVR sees them as a multi-channel PCM stream or a 5 channel PCM stream.

I have gone to the Roku settings and changed it to both auto and Dolby Digital with no change.

Any suggestions?

Hulu won't have a 5.1 stream on Roku(source). Plex, depends on the source material. What audio format are the videos playing when using Plex? Might want to take advantage of Dolby Pro Logic or DTS:Neo to upconvert 2.0 sound to 5.1. 
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Silverado149
Level 7

Thanks for the interest. If I run plex on my computer over the same hdmi connection and play the same video with plex, it shows as a 5 channel stream rather than a two channel stream like roku. I have the same results when playing a Hulu video.
0 Kudos
ziloni
Level 8

I have the very same issue and am using Plex.

3 Rokus - only one actually works with 5.1 but all should. No changes other than swapping them out and only the oldest of my Rokus will do 5.1. All are set to Dolby in audio settings.

Post is here:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 90#p653190
0 Kudos
ziloni
Level 8

Turn off Night Listening and Leveling. That is, set it to none/disabled. This fixed all the Roku's that I had this issue on.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"Silverado149" wrote:
Thanks for the interest. If I run plex on my computer over the same hdmi connection and play the same video with plex, it shows as a 5 channel stream rather than a two channel stream like roku.  I have the same results when playing a Hulu video.

Again, might depend on the format of the audio. AAC 5.1 is not supported on some Rokus. AC3, DD+, and DTS should be. Also, could be an HD lossless format without a lower format built into it. Roku does not passthrough Dolby TrueHD nor DTS HD-MA formats.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
DonMac
Level 7

Have you tried any streaming services that regularly send 5.1 signals, such as NetFlix or Amazon Prime, on your Roku?
0 Kudos