Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Streaming Stick - picture gets dim/dark within seconds of powering on - how do I fix this?

Bought a Roku Streaming Stick (3800 series) 3820R. I used it once a couple weeks ago and had no problem. I left it plugged into the wall but not into my TV (only one HDMI port) and today went to swap out the TV box HDMI for the Roku streaming stick. Looked fine at first, but suddenly the picture got very very dim/dark - I could still see what's going on, but it was extremely dim as if I turned the brightness all the way down. I turned on and off the TV/Roku stick, and for 2-4 seconds the picture was bright again at the roku menu, then suddenly it got dimmer again. My TV is not very "smart" - SHARP Aquos from 10+ years ago. TV works fine w/ my TV box, Apple TV and other HDMI devices so I know it's coming from the Roku specifically. I've never ever touched the brightness or picture on it, never needed to, and it doesn't have any special features like different picture modes or dynamic dimming.

I tried going through the settings within Roku but didn't see anything that mentioned brightness. Does anyone know what's happening and how I can fix it? Thank you. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Streaming Stick - picture gets dim/dark within seconds of powering on - how do I fix this?

Hello @al3xisnic0le

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Could you try using a different HDMI cord and or a different HDMI port to see if that will make a difference?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos