Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RebusCom
Channel Surfer

Roku Streaming Stick + keeps resetting itself to factory defaults

Beginning about two weeks ago, nearly every morning when the TV and receiver is turned on (the Roku is powered directly from a wall outlet so is always on even if the receiver is off) the Roku comes up as though it's newly installed, having to go through all the initial setup steps, e.g., network connection, linking to account, services, etc.

What would trigger this?  Is this device going bad?

Tags (1)
18 REPLIES 18
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming Stick + keeps resetting itself to factory defaults

Maybe try pulling the stick out and making sure the reset button isn't stuck.(coverered in dust or grime).

Try alternate HDMI port, or reseat again in orig HDMI port if only one.

Check Power Supply. (yes, its plugged in but is it delivering proper supply)

Do a manual software check update.

Do a system restart after all that.

If continues, would say internal problem. (could be overheating, shorting etc, failed software update)

Only so much an end user can do at this point, unfortunately.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
RebusCom
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar wrote:

Maybe try pulling the stick out and making sure the reset button isn't stuck.(coverered in dust or grime).

Try alternate HDMI port, or reseat again in orig HDMI port if only one.

Check Power Supply. (yes, its plugged in but is it delivering proper supply)

Do a manual software check update.

Do a system restart after all that.

If continues, would say internal problem. (could be overheating, shorting etc, failed software update)

Only so much an end user can do at this point, unfortunately.  

Thanks for the reply.  The device looks like new.  Previously I've determined the HDMI port makes no difference.  Power test passes. Software check says it's up to date.  I've done a manual restart and also unplugged the power but the near daily resets continue.  The only constant is that is always occurs sometime overnight.  I have yet to see it reboot or shut down while in actual use.

AvsGunnar

You have done all the recommended troubleshooting.  In the end, it is just a circuit board wrapped in plastic.

When all else fails, everyone says to do a factory reset at the device itself.  Press and hold the button as I am sure you know.  It is going to wipe everything but is always worth a shot.

0 Kudos
RebusCom
Channel Surfer

I've discovered an important clue regarding the resets.  I've mentioned the one consistency that it would be found reset in the morning when the TV and receiver are turned on, but the Roku was normally powered up with it's own separate supply so wasn't losing it's settings due to being powered off for hours.  I have never encountered a reset during the day.

I found that if I unplug the Roku from power overnight it never resets.  Leave it powered up overnight and it always resets before morning.  Any idea why this is?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Maybe one more test to perform.

Instead of leaving it unplugged all night, maybe just unplug it right before you turn on your receiver and TV.  Plug in back in after powering your receiver and tv.  If the Roku performs properly, then the time left unplugged could be ruled out and I would tend to think there may be a problem with the receiver or tv connection hdmi (could be sending a surge or the like) or the hdmi cables themselves. Maybe swap them around.  

If you start the receiver and tv, and then the Roku device  still resets like before (with this brief disconnect), then most likely the Roku device issue itself (lending credence that it needs this extended time of being unplugged).   It is supposed to sleep when not in use.  Quite possible the internals are staying active, overheating, and initiating a reset.  If that is the case, then I think you have at least narrowed it down to the Roku device. (Then you can choose to replace or do the overnight unplugging for as long as that works).  

Good to see you replied back with an update.  Maybe others can join in with other options/suggestions for you.

Edited 2/21.... I would still perform the tests above to isolate the problem.  But in your case, if it becomes determinative that the longer downtime/unplug method is the only resolution for you, and your TV USB has sufficient power supply, maybe plug the Roku power lead into your TV.  That way, it will power down each time you power down the TV.  (can't stay awake if it has no power). Still have to be prepared for the fact that the device may be failing and you are just buying time, but maybe not.

0 Kudos
RebusCom
Channel Surfer

Good suggestions, though I got an unexpected result.  I first left the Roku powered up overnight but unplugged it before turning the receiver and TV on.  After plugging it back in, the Roku came up normally, no reset.

I next left it unplugged all night and plugged it in the morning, waited a minute for it to boot up, then turned on the receiver and TV.  Again, no reset.

But leave the Roku powered up all night and then turn on the receiver and TV in the morning, it's reset back to factory defaults.  Strange.

I may have to try the USB to TV connection just to see if that behaves, though I don't know if that port cycles power with the TV or not.

0 Kudos
RebusCom
Channel Surfer

USB to TV connection doesn't help.  The USB port appears to be powered when the TV is turned off.  The Roku still resets and actually when connected directly to the TV has actually reset during the daytime, which is more frequent than just overnight.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Well, plugging into TV power isn't going to work then. (reset could be stick issue, or tv USB supply undepowering/overpowering the stick, could be stick or tv issue).

I think the only definitive thing you can do is purchase another stick and see if it behaves the same as your previous one. 

If you want to continue to use your other stick that works, but needs to be shut down daily, you can either unplug daily or install a simple timer ($10-20) at the outlet which will disconnect power to the stick.  

I don't think it is a heat issue, since the stick behaves similarly whether you leave it unplugged through the night, or disconnect it immediately before powering on TV.

I think the only "common" connection you have in play is the HDMI male (stick) into female connection. (TV or receiver) and leaving power to the stick. (Replicates condition each time)   If all your HDMI cables have been checked/swapped and are good, seems like there is some "shorting/grounding" issue going on when TV is powered on and the stick receives the video/audio signal from the HDMI which is definitely off when TV is off.

In sum, I would probably start with replacing the 3800 stick.  Now, if using the HDMI extender with the stick, you could also try replacing that component first or eliminate it and plug stick in directly and test again.

0 Kudos
Ebi77

I am having the same issue. I have a Roku streaming stick + 4k. I set it up along with all my channels. Had it for years, after an update a couple of month ago it resets every two to three days.  Power the tv off and the next day when it was turned on it prompted to go through the setup process again. It is plugged into the HDMI port on tv and powed at the wall socket. I have 2 other Rokus and they work fine.