Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BeerPimp
Level 7

Roku Streaming Stick keeps giving me HDCP error.

I have read through some of the other threads about this and it seems that the update to software version 9.0.0 fixed this for most people.   However, my roku streaming stick is still have this issue. The TV it is plugged into is a Sony KDL-23S2010.   The model number of the Roku stick is 3800x with software version 9.0.0 build 4142-55.  This TV is fairly old but seems to have HDCP capability.  When I goto the roku distplay settings it confirms that the TV supports HDCP 1.4.  It only has one HDMI port so there is no way to plug it into a different HDMI port.   I have it directly connected to the TV.   I also tried connecting it with the short HDMI pigtail/extender which did not help.  The resolution is on auto but I also tried setting it to the specific resolutions the TV has which also did not help.  At the bottom of the HDCP error page it says Error code: 020
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Streaming Stick keeps giving me HDCP error.

Thanks for the note here. A couple questions to help understand the issue you're seeing: 

- Did this recently start occurring, or have you observed this issue for some time? 
- If you connect the device to a different TV, do you observe the same error? 
- When does the error appear? On the Roku home screen, during content playback, etc.?
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
BeerPimp
Level 7

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
Thanks for the note here. A couple questions to help understand the issue you're seeing: 

- Did this recently start occurring, or have you observed this issue for some time? 
- If you connect the device to a different TV, do you observe the same error? 
- When does the error appear? On the Roku home screen, during content playback, etc.?

This was a new install about 2 weeks ago.   It happened from day one.   I tried it on another TV and it did not give me the error.  The error appears if you turn it off then turn it back on a short time later.  The only way to get the error to go away is to unplug the Roku or hit the reset button on it.   If it sits for an extended amount of time then it does not show this error usually.
0 Kudos
BeerPimp
Level 7

Has anyone had luck with an HDMI spliter (see link below)?  I have been using one with my Slingbox 500 for over a year now and I have never had to power cycle it or anything?

hdmi splitter
0 Kudos
BeerPimp
Level 7

Last night I installed the HDMI splitter.   I plugged my Roku stick into the input and then ran a short HDMI from the output to the TV.   So far after testing it a little bit there were no issues.  I will come back and post an update after a week or so.   If you are having HDCP errors with an old TV this is a possible fix.

0 Kudos