Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daskvorc

Roku Streaming Stick frozen

Hi Danny,

My Roku is frozen.  The remote doesn't work.  I have a fairly new Westinghouse TV (December 2020) and the 4k streaming roku device purchase March 2020.  It appears from other posts this is due to the most recent update.  Can you help?  I am not technical so I will need to wait for a tech person to come and do this for me.  Any help greatly appreciated!

Debra

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Roku Streaming Stick frozen

I am now having issues as well, with my Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810x, serial #YH009R274254, software 10.5.0 build 4201-50. It shows I have strong internet connection, but when I try to watch one of my main streaming services, it won't load things and says connectivity issue. So, what can be done about it?? I see LOTS of other people are having issues. PLEASE GET THIS FIXED.

Thank you,

Kelley

How were you able to do a manual downgrade? I would like to try doing that, as well?

brokerjoe

Roku Streaming Stick [3600x] are also affected by the OS 10.5 upgrade debacle. Why can't there be a general downgrade for all devices issued?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@daskvorc @Kelleybug75 @brokerjoe 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? Please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
NoSnarky
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 4K frozen

Danny,

I just purchased this Roku stick directly from Roku less than 30days ago, and unless this gets fixed, I will have to return it as a failed device under warranty.

Model 3820X, Serial # X01700DD9AVW, Device ID S08Y41AD9AVW, Software ver. 10.5.1 build 4066-CU.

9 out of 10 times that I power on my stick (from a tv off/no power to any device), the main Roku menu page is frozen.  It acts as if the remote is not functioning, but it is because I can easier turn on/off the tv it is inserted in.  Since it is frozen, I cannot perform and reset using the Roku menus.  I have to unplug the device 3-3 times, and then it will not be unfrozen when it reloads to the main menu.  I upgrade to this 4K stick from a 720k stick that has been working just fine for 5+ years.  This 4K stick is awful.  Please advise asap.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @NoSnarky

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

We would recommend you try re-pairing your remote to your Roku stick. To do this, feel free to follow the steps below:

1. Remove the power cable from your Roku device, wait 5 seconds and then re-connect the power cable.
  2. Wait until your Roku device displays the home screen.
  3. Once the Roku device is connected to the remote, the pairing dialog should appear on your TV screen.

4. Restart your remote. If your remote uses standard batteries, restart your remote by removing and reinserting the batteries. If your remote is rechargeable, press and hold the pairing button for 20 seconds. The status light should slowly flash green, stop, then flash rapidly. When this happens, release the pairing button and your remote has restarted.
  5. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds until you see the status light begin to flash. If the light does not flash, charge your remote or replace the batteries.
  6. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your Roku device.

Furthermore, since your Roku stick is connected directly to an HDMI port on your TV, wireless interference from the HDMI connector may impact the performance of your remote. We suggest moving it away from the HDMI connector on your TV by installing a free extension cable.

For more information, refer to this Support link: How to resolve issues with your Roku® simple remote or Roku voice remote

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
NoSnarky
Reel Rookie

I received the free HDMI cable extender from Roku.  However, I see no difference in the Remote's function.  I still have to re-install the batteries each time I start up the Roku 4k stick.  I've read through the link you sent about other ways to correct remote issues.  I have changed the batteries, changed the wifi channel the Roky stick uses to stream on my home network, etc.  Since I purchased this product within the last month directly from Roku, can the remote be replaced free of charge?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@NoSnarky

Thanks for the follow up.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
swarnecke

I am having the same issues with my stick

0 Kudos